Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

whats the best book about dogs you have read

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shirleystarr, Aug 23, 2013.

1. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

I love the book called Its all about Treo by Dave Heyhoe
    when dave was sent to Afghanistan to help locate roadside bombs he knew he would need a special dog by his side. Treo a staggeringly brave ball of energy and mischief did not let him down
    This is a really good read

2. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Best dog book that I ever read was called sugar mouse about a diabetic girl whose Labrador gets diabetes and she attempts to treat it herself. The book was fiction I believe but still brilliant.

I read it about 40 years ago so I'm not sure its even printed now but it has resonated with me ever since I first read it.

I don't often read animal books or biography's. I did however enjoy a cat named Bob. Not a dog book I know but still great.

3. Dubuss

Dubuss PetForums Member

I read the thread title then entered the thread to recommend my holiday read this summer- 'it's all about Treo' and then read in your post about it!

Really is a fantastic book, emotional, funny at times I was in stitches.

4. shirleystarr

Oh I read the book a cat named Bob and the follow up called No Ordinary cat he has a 3rd book coming out in January next year

5. shirleystarr

Dubuss
    yes its a fantastic book you laugh you hold your breath and I cried at the end when they both went home The army wanted to keep Treo but in the end they let Dave take him home

6. shirleystarr

Marley and Me is another great dog book :)

7. AnnC

AnnC PetForums Member

I'll second and even third that one. :cool:
    I started on night shifts last Tues & Weds and the nights were so quiet I went to Tesco's after my first one looking for some books and I saw that and thought "oh good a doggie book I'll get that and see if its any good".

Thank God it was another very quiet night, I just couldn't put it down. I'm about half way through it and I'm off to bed now to read a bit more. Roll on my next nights so I can finish it!! :laugh:

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

OMG, I read that book at school & loved it! :D

9. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

101 dalmatians when I was about 10:D

10. Nitas mum

Nitas mum PetForums Member

I love reading, but often bypass the ones about pets as it doesn't take much to set me off blubbing!

I really enjoyed Endal and also The Last Dog on the Hill. Heartwarmingly great reads!

11. Its all about Floss

Its all about Floss PetForums Newbie

One of my favourites is Bringing Light to Shadow. Its about a border collie who is very reactive and how the lady who rescued her begins to train her. I think because my collie is quite nervous I could really relate to the book. I love reading dog stories so the likes of Lassie, Greyfriers Bobby, Hurry Home Candy are also favourites of mine :)

12. Stardi

Stardi PetForums Junior

Best book when it comes to dog training I have read is a swedish book by Eva Bodfäldt. It's called "Kontaktkontraktet".

Right now I cant recall the name of my favorite fiction book but it is about a Borde collie thats runs away from home get in many advantures. I think its a book from some Disney bookclub.

13. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Best I have read recently - "A Dog's Journey"
    This is the sequel to A Dog's Purpose and I read it before the first - it was quite an emotional rollercoaster.

I didn't actually like the first when I finally got to read it! The second is much and can easily stand alone. It's very clear the writer did a lot more research before he wrote the sequel and it shows.

I also love Endal.
    I have the Treo book but not read it yet.
    One Dog At A Time by Penny Farthing about the Nowzad rescue dogs in Afghanistan is also a very worthy read.

PS: I also re-read 101 Dalmatians at least once every two years, and have done ever since I was 9 (when I probably read it once a month for a year, lol).

14. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

Does book of the bitch count, or saga of the dogue de bordeaux! The most expensive book I own lol x

15. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I recently read Doglands and thoroughly enjoyed it.

When I was a kid I loved a book my mum passed onto me from when she was little called Shadow the Sheepdog by Enid Blyton.

My all time favourite book about a dog has got to be Lassie Come-Home :D

16. shirleystarr

Greyfriers Bobby is a great book yes they made a film about it too and I have a tiny little model of Bobby on my desk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice