Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whats the average life expectancy of a terrapin?

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by KYRIEBLOOMFIELD, Feb 3, 2013.

1. KYRIEBLOOMFIELD

KYRIEBLOOMFIELD PetForums Newbie

Hello :)
    I'd like to know how long my terrapin will live for, his now around 20 years old and just seems to keep going! I hope he still has a few years left in him yet, whats the average they normally live to?

2. Paul Dunham

Paul Dunham PetForums Senior

The problem is no one really knows for sure.. Much of the literature says 20/30 years, yet in this section of Pet Forum there’s one said to be 35 years old.. We can’t tell in captivity because on the whole they’re pretty badly kept. Although many die, many seem to survive despite their environment.. If you travel abroad and seen Red-eared Terrapins in the wild they’re a completely different animal.. They have nice thick healthy domed shells which you never see in captivity... Captive Terrapins have a flat pancake shaped body compared with the high domed bodies of their wild counterparts.. Mis-shaped and thin shells are pretty common in captive specimens.
    How long they live in captivity and how long they’re supposed to live is hard to say..
    In contrast they say a European Pond Turtle can live for more than a hundred years…

#2 Paul Dunham, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

That one thats 35 is mine she did have a mate but he died at 25 she lives out in the main pond all summer and comes into the green house with a sunken pond and light and heating for the winter and basks daily even in the coldest days:)

4. KYRIEBLOOMFIELD

She sounds like a very happy terrapin! Ive thought about getting a friend for mine, but his been on his own for so long would it be a good idea? He seems happy enough, do they like company?

5. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I dont really think they need company mine being a female goes walkabout every spring looking for a mate but other than that she just basks and eats and sleeps:D

6. KYRIEBLOOMFIELD

Sounds like im doing okay then!
    Thank you everyone for your help :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice