Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whats it like to have a Birman?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by CakesNCream, Feb 3, 2021.

1. CakesNCream

CakesNCream PetForums Newbie

I'm a bit obsessed with Birmans right now. I've already done a lot of research, but I just want to keep talking about them. I'm on a waiting list for two breeders right now, kittens are due in the spring.
    I just can't wait!

Charlo86 likes this.
  2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Exciting times! Have you decided if you are going to have one or two kittens, and are you hoping to get a particular colour? I'm guessing you are hoping for a Male going by your previous threads :)

CakesNCream likes this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Gosh only a couple of months ago your wrote "Its going to be years until I get a cat". Has life changed hugely for you since then?

4. CakesNCream

I'm deciding on one kitten, I've decided that I will not pick the cat based on gender. I just want an affectionate lap cat, thats very important to me. Coat colour doesn't matter as much to me, I just want to ask the breeder to choose whichever cat is the most affectionate and has the personality of a lap cat. I do have my preferences but they're not that important. I do think all tabby birmans are beautiful, as well as lilac point and blue point.

I do want to ask one question, I'll have my own flat (apartment for anyone thats not from the UK) and by June I will have enough room to keep a cat, although not everything will be done. There will be builders still working on some of the flat. Which means there will be loud noises during the day, would this be scary for a kitten? I'm thinking it probably will be and if that's the case I'll tell the breeder to keep me on the waiting list for the next kittens and that way the flat will completely be done (no loud noise from builders).

5. CakesNCream

Yes circumstances have changed and I am very happy about that! I am getting my own apartment.

I would like to know your advice on one of my questions to Tigermoon, on my last paragraph. What is your view point?

Safety will not be a concern at all. Its just the loud noise I'm concerned with

6. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

My advice is coming a bit late as you are expecting your kitten in spring- but I would have first finished setting up the flat and then looked for feline company.
    Also, as it’s character that most matters to you, an older cat might have been the way to go. With a kitten you can not know how the character develops. A cuddle bug of 6 months can be an aloof cat of 2 years and vice versa.
    My Annie was not especially cuddly for the first 18 months of her life but now she is,
    Mojo was always cuddly but never a lap cat. These days he can stay on my lap for ever.

As your mind is already made up for a kitten in spring this doesn’t help you a lot, I‘m afraid.

CakesNCream likes this.
  7. CakesNCream

I think that is the harsh reality, I'm just going to have to wait a bit longer for the cat.

Ah, yes I see your point. I did want a kitten to care for that could spend its whole life time with me, and that was also important to me. It does look like I'll have to manage my expectations a little

Charlo86 and ChaosCat like this.
  8. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I think if I was you I'd wait until you've finished renovating the flat before you get the kitten. Not only would the noises of drilling, hammering etc. scare the kitten badly there is too much of a risk of an accident. Kittens are curious, they get in the way. This week I've heard of a kitten being accidentally stepped on by a workman, and the kitten died, just awful for everyone involved. So I think that it would be best to ask the breeder to keep you on their list for a later litter, and bring one home once all the work is done.

9. OrientalSlave

So would I.

CakesNCream likes this.
  10. CakesNCream

Yeah you're right. I'll wait a little longer

Tigermoon likes this.
  11. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

My cat would be totally stressed if there was building noise. I don't think that would be a great start.

Birmans sound lovely, although I would be cautious expecting any breed to behave in a particular way. I've met many pedigrees (Persians, ragdolls, Maine Coons) which didn't fit the standards of behaviour for their breed.

The only way to know if its going to be a lapcat is if it's already an adult. I remember there was a black full-grown cat a my local rescue called Pudding - so-called because he was an absolute sweetheart and couldn't get enough cuddles. I think of him a lot as we were going to get him but couldn't because we were going on holiday! You know what you're getting with an adult.

CakesNCream likes this.
  12. CakesNCream

Yes this is why I wanted to ask the breeder as they would know their kittens and their different personalities better than anyone. I now understand that this can change as they get older. I'll still ask the breeder if they enjoy being picked up and on your lap, but I'll be careful not to get my hopes up as I know that can change now.

13. OrientalSlave

I thought I sent two timid kittens to a new home and Lo! I got a photo in the afternoon of them cuddled up on the sofa with their new family. And, of course, the reverse can happen.

CakesNCream likes this.
  14. CakesNCream

Well I guess I'm screwed lol

15. OrientalSlave

You seem to be in a rush, and that's common to a lot of the people who post here having got an unwell kitten and/or a kitten that's not the registered pedigree they thought it was.

PS some people have also come unstuck with a registered kitten as it came from a poor breeder. The moral of all these stories is to take the long view. Sort out the home situation first, then (once the end of that is in sight) start looking around.

Hopefully by the summer you will be able to visit breeders once more. Seeing the home conditions is a massive help in choosing a kitten.

Also be open to what breed. Whilst I can understand you not wanting some - I wouldn't want a longhair cat of any breed, or a hairless cat - I think it well worth looking for breeders in your area and taking it from there.

Remember that breed characters are an average, and there can be massive variation. Apparently Siamese are 'Highly Intelligent'. No, many are not. Dennis isn't that bright, Benny was positively dim. the best clue is the dam's & sire's personalities, plus the sort of home they are raised in.

#15 OrientalSlave, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  16. CakesNCream

I have done a good amount of research on both breeders and both are reasonably close by. I haven't just picked out whoever is available, I've done my research. I'm very picky with who I would want yo splash out 650-750 pounds to. I was in a rush to get the work done, not for the cat. But I wont be getting the cat until the autumn now. I will be looking around at other breeders but I'm perfectly happy with the two I have chosen. I intend on staying on their waiting list.

17. OrientalSlave

The bad news is that £650 is very much the bottom end for registered pedigree kittens. Of course it depends a bit on area and breed, also if the kitten is neutered before leaving.

CakesNCream likes this.
  18. CakesNCream

Both are GCCF and TICA registered, house trained, vaccinated, and give free insurance up to 4 weeks. The 650 pound one does do neutering, and breeds based on temperament. I may have missed some things since this is all from the top of my head but I believe they are a cat cattery. Of course I will be asking more questions closer to the time

19. CakesNCream

Good* cattery

20. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Refreshing to see research done before, and not after when there are problems as we so often see. Glad to see kittens will be neutered before leaving too.

If you have a good rapport with the breeders it's wise to stay on their waiting list for the right time, a good relationship with the breeder is important, you will be part of their kitten family for many years.

CakesNCream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice