Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

whats he chewing??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by welshjet, Apr 10, 2011.

1. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Well jet has done it again, he has left the potato peelings, but after saying to people no, he leaves my artificial flowers alone, what did i find in his litter tray - yes parts of was leaves. Went to investigate, low and behold you can see where the bugger has been chewing them - any suggeations how to stop him, i'd like to keep them if poss! And of course him, who has now been nick-named by my oh as "the silent assassin"

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Why don't you buy some cat grass seeds and grow him his own chewable plant matter, sounds like he has a craving for it. My lot have free outside access, but still love the pot of cat grass in the kitchen.
    cat grass | eBay UK

3. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Thanks, have seen it on there, but wasnt sure about getting it off ebay, other than there,i would it be something that garden centres sell? My old cat used to be in and out but unfortunately where we live now the roads are more busier and some people are so cruel, so jet is now an "inne" but hes out in the garden when we are with him and he does love a chomp on the grass

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am sure you would find it in garden centres etc...and I know PAH sell it a that is where I first bought a 'kit'. I bought a big bag from ebay and it is exactly the same thing for a fraction of the price! Order it right now and I bet you will get it Tuesday!
    TBH, I was surprised that my gang eat so much of it given that they have full outside access.

5. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Thanks, will have a look now, there is one on there for 2000 seeds for 1.99 with positve reviews. Does it take long to grow?

Love your pics at bottom, the first and last look wicked!l

6. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Thanks paddypaws, have just ordered some - its gotta be healthier than the artificial stuff!!! :D

7. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

My cat loves Spider plants. I tried cat grass for years. It didn't tend to last long, i could never keep up with growing fresh batches, and it made my cat sick almost every time he ate it.

Then a month ago i bought a large Spider plant. My cat loves it! He's eaten quite a lot of it and yet has been sick only once. It has loads of baby Spiderlings hanging off it - so it will be easy to keep the supply going and it looks nice too - if a bit chewed...:rolleyes:

8. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Spider plants thats interesting, havent got any in the house but didnt think they would eat them!

9. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

If you do try Spider plants just give them a good shower first - just in case they've been sprayed with anything.

10. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Thanks, will see if any one has any in work.

Theres normally a few plants in amongst all the trees! :D

11. chesca13

chesca13 PetForums Member

Ooooh..that sounds good think i might get some. Can they have it at any age?? i have a 10 week kitten would it be ok for him?

12. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

At first Ari didn't eat them, just played and take them out of the pot. But since she was 7mths old she can't live without them! She eats, plays, 'hides' behind (it's just 5cm high on a 4cm pot and she thinks we can't see her there) and rub herself on them. Sometimes she even place her blanket over them, the same treatment her favourite toys get. :)

13. chellemich

chellemich PetForums Member

I have the same problem with my kittens. No matter what toys they have out, they CONSTANTLY try and eat my artificial flowers. I'm determined not to have to remove them but I just can't teach the buggers to leave them alone! I've tried spraying the flowers and surrounding carpet with pet deterrent spray, I've shouted and hissed at them, i've squirted them with water and tried locking the offending cat out of the room for 5 minutes each time they try and attack the flowers. None of this stops them from going back and doing the same thing again. I too think I saw a bit of a flower in the litter tray but not sure how it got in there!

So, any ideas on how to protect my flowers from further destruction?!

BTW, I grew some cat grass when I first had the kittens. I think they liked it but not sure how much of it they ate. I didn't look after it and it died so i've got some more. Will see how that goes! :)

14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

chellemich....the point here is that the kittens are smarter than you think and are trying to eat the artificial flowers for a reason.;)
    http://www.knowyourcat.info/info/catingrass.htm
    I think most of us accept that some home furnishings just do not survive well with cats in the house...a small sacrifice to pay! So swop your artificial flowers for cat grass and all will be happy!

15. chellemich

chellemich PetForums Member

Hmm lovely story about the mouse!

I'm sure there is an aspect of this in the reason for trying to get at my flowers but I think they mainly want to play with them. They're dangling over the vase just waiting to be swiped!

Like I said, I will start growing some more grass and see if that distracts them a little. *crosses fingers*

16. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Cat grass on order, fingers crossed wont be too long, in meantime have adopted a spider plant with an ulterior motive

17. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Not a moment too soon, hes been at it again, have now removed them out of the way

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice