UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have had a growing bonfire pile in the garden for a good 6 months now... its mainly consisted of old scrap wood, garden waste etc
So from the day we brought Sailor home as a 14 week old puppy, til the present day, he has been used to this bonfire pile steadily getting bigger and bigger, intil it was ready to light, he loved it and many days he would be seen sat on top of it, so he could get a better view of his garden (like he was on watch, bless)

Anyhow, the pile was burned two nights ago and now theres a big burnt area on the grass, where the bonfire was and Sailor has took great interest in this and goes over for a smell, and picks up odd burnt charred wood etc, so he is not affraid of the patch at all...

Yet every now and then, he will stand a good few feet away from the area, and bark at it, as if he is very wary of something.
I go over and have a look around, and he will either run across it, at his own free will, really fast as if he is avoiding something or he will sit behind my legs as if he is hiding from something ??

He looks at the area with great interest, like his spotted something that he is both greatly intereested in and affraid of at the same time.

So I walk off, and he is then happy and carries on doing dog stuff... but at random times, he will stand guard by the area of ash and bark, not aggressively, just like a warning bark.

I walk over and just look around, just to let him know Im on the case and Im checking it out to , showing him its fine and his happy with that... but again sometime later, he barks and barks again, and dont back off away from whatever it is, intil I go to investigate ??

I first thought, he had seen a creature that he wasnt familiar with
then I thought, maybe its just because the binfire pile has gone and his not quite used to thiss burnt area yet and his unsure of it, but his fine to walk over it and retrieve his sticks and balls from the area etc or just have a nose around by himself...

Anyhow, I now think, maybe its the smell of firre, he senses the daanger of fire and is barking at what he can smell, rather than what he can see

Would be great to hear any one elses opinions or ideas of what he is barking at , and how his doggy mind is working, when his guarding us from the bonfire patch

Im not at all bothered about this being a bad behaviour, as I can easily snap him out of it, and distract him, but i am just perplexed at to what he is actually barking at

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hi all,

We have had a growing bonfire pile in the garden for a good 6 months now... its mainly consisted of old scrap wood, garden waste etc
So from the day we brought Sailor home as a 14 week old puppy, til the present day, he has been used to this bonfire pile steadily getting bigger and bigger, intil it was ready to light, he loved it and many days he would be seen sat on top of it, so he could get a better view of his garden (like he was on watch, bless)

Anyhow, the pile was burned two nights ago and now theres a big burnt area on the grass, where the bonfire was and Sailor has took great interest in this and goes over for a smell, and picks up odd burnt charred wood etc, so he is not affraid of the patch at all...

Yet every now and then, he will stand a good few feet away from the area, and bark at it, as if he is very wary of something.
I go over and have a look around, and he will either run across it, at his own free will, really fast as if he is avoiding something or he will sit behind my legs as if he is hiding from something ??

He looks at the area with great interest, like his spotted something that he is both greatly intereested in and affraid of at the same time.

So I walk off, and he is then happy and carries on doing dog stuff... but at random times, he will stand guard by the area of ash and bark, not aggressively, just like a warning bark.

I walk over and just look around, just to let him know Im on the case and Im checking it out to , showing him its fine and his happy with that... but again sometime later, he barks and barks again, and dont back off away from whatever it is, intil I go to investigate ??

I first thought, he had seen a creature that he wasnt familiar with
then I thought, maybe its just because the binfire pile has gone and his not quite used to thiss burnt area yet and his unsure of it, but his fine to walk over it and retrieve his sticks and balls from the area etc or just have a nose around by himself...

Anyhow, I now think, maybe its the smell of firre, he senses the daanger of fire and is barking at what he can smell, rather than what he can see

Would be great to hear any one elses opinions or ideas of what he is barking at , and how his doggy mind is working, when his guarding us from the bonfire patch

Im not at all bothered about this being a bad behaviour, as I can easily snap him out of it, and distract him, but i am just perplexed at to what he is actually barking at
I hope you checked for hedgehogs before burning it !!! My dog was barking at next doors roof today and I looked up and there was a man sitting up there lol. Trust a dog to spot that :)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you checked for hedgehogs before burning it !!! My dog was barking at next doors roof today and I looked up and there was a man sitting up there lol. Trust a dog to spot that :)
i cant say 100% certain no hedgehogs were in it, but im quiet certain it was hedgehog free.

I was just going to say maybe he is barking at hedgehog ghosts :eek:
Im relieved to know I wasnt the only one with daft thoughts :eek: lol

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
:lol: Sorry :eek: Good to know you took the comment as it was meant though ;)

Wish I could offer you other suggestions, but I can't stop picturing ghost like hedgehogs! :eek:

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol: Sorry :eek: Good to know you took the comment as it was meant though ;)

Wish I could offer you other suggestions, but I can't stop picturing ghost like hedgehogs! :eek:
shhhh my bedroom window is right aove the bonfire patch and I wont be able to sleep :scared:

on a serious note tho, it would be really great if dogs could talk.... so he could just tell me what his barking at ... it would be something totally daft i bet, his not the brightest dog in the world after all :lol:

yesterday on his walk, he was soo transfixed on a bird walking beside us behind some railings, that he failed to notice the lampost fast approaching and walked straight into it :lol: i was trying to rub his poor head better, but couldnt stop laughing and he was looking at me with those big sad eyes, as if to say... "why are you lauging, it really hurt and im soo embaressed :( "

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm did this barking start after his little run in by any chance? Have you had his eyes checked? He might have slightly impaired vision or something?
He didnt walk into the lampost face on, he was looking sideways and he hit the side of his head off it, so im not surprised he didnt see it coming... mind if I hadnt been watching him watching the bird, I would have seen the lampost myself and made him walk around it

Its an interesting thought tho, as yes, the barking at the bonfire pile was after he walked into the lampost... could a young pup ( 6 months ) have caused damage to his eyesight, from walking into a lampost ?

he jumped in shock after he hit it, and tried to run around what ever hit him ( he didnt know it was a harmless lampost and just tried to dart away from it) and i pulled on the lead, to pull him to my side.
but he didnt yelp, or whine or act as if he was in pain in any way... just shocked that a lampost had jumped out infront of him, then looked at me all sad, as I was fussing him

I havent noticed him doing anything odd or worrying regarding his eyesight... he was chasing tiny flies around the garden this morn and seemed to be watching them fly around above him and trying to snap them out the air

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
It's possible hon. He could have bruised his eye or something which might cast a shadow or fuzziness when he looks a certain way, perhaps if the sun catches his eye or something. Might be worth a check up at the vets to be sure. Or even just a chat with a vet on the phone maybe?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shall phone them in the morning and see what they think

the sunlight is an interesting thought, as something might have been reflecting light... i know occasionally the neighbours also put stuff on the bonfire and they have in the past put left over roast, and tin foil on the the pile (they are old and like to leave scraps out for the local foxes which come into my garden most nights), so maybe some light was shining up now and then

but as you say, if he has knocked his eye and its casting shadows or making his sight abit fuzzy, i can undstand how that would make him more wary of different things, like the new pile of ash

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
Its possible he is being a good guard dog and alerting you to the fact that somebody stole your bonfire.:(
:lol:

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
is it possible that he`s simply barking as he`s missing his throne?? or maybe he`s confused as to where it`s gone??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.