What's for tea?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sleeping_Lion, Nov 1, 2013.

1. leashedForLife

getting it in early, so U can shop for the recipes' ingredients:
    http://www.organicauthority.com/4-vegan-whole30-recipes-for-meatless-monday-yep-its-possible/
    the "7 cruelest foods" on Earth:
    http://www.organicauthority.com/health/how-often-do-you-eat-the-7-cruelest-foods-on-earth.html

please note that i'd disagree with their including 'Dairy products' in that ultimate-nasties list - I grew up in a farming community, & we bought milk from a [distant] neighbor whose cattle were well-kept, on pasture as much as possible, & fed a natural high-cellulose diet when off grass: ensilage, hay, orchard grass, straw, etc, not grain concentrates & chicken-feathers for "protein" but corn stalks, wheat straw, & similar.
    Also, having been there when they milked, i can attest that the milking machine is NOT "harsh", nor does it "cause great pain". The cows relaxed & let down their milk readily, ate while being milked, & visited with one another - the milking shed was full of the murmur of cows contentedly chatting while the milk hissed & burbled thru the pipes overhead.

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Me too! I chuck them in almost everything!:) Tea today was vegetarian meatballs with broccoli and roasted onion, carrots and sweet potato...organic ginger yoghurt for desert.

Not sure I could go vegan though, I love eggs too much, not to mention cheese. I only buy free range eggs though.

leashedForLife likes this.
  3. Dave S

Dave S Cosy Corner Collies

Family here for dinner yesterday so Sunday roast but some prefer Lamb, some Chicken so;

Roast Shoulder of Lamb, Roast butter basted Chicken, roast potatoes, rosemary sweet potatoes, mixed veg, red cabbage, garlic mushrooms, stuffing balls, followed by fresh fruit trifle topped with fresh cherries dipped in melted chocolate alternatively rhubarb and custard with brulee topping.
    Washed down with wine and champagne.

Just taken over an hour to clear up the kitchen.

4. leashedForLife

made a nice Thai red curry chicken, from AllRecipes.com , for my Symphony Hall clients.
    We fiddled it a bit - no red bell ppr in house, & no cilantro, so juice of 1/2 lime [for the cilantro tang], plus last time it wasn't spicey enuf, so doubled the red chili paste to 2 Tbsp.
    Added 1/2 cup / 4-oz dry roasted, UNsalted peanuts, & had sriracha hot-sauce ad lib to add on the side. Served over steamed white rice.
    Looked good, smelled GREAT - very popular. :)

5. Dave S

I was going to have a baked potato with a piece of breaded chicken, as I was making a mug of tea in the kitchen my dear wife put it on the dining room table whilst hers finished cooking.
    I happened to look round as I was talking and thought it a bit strange as she had not put the chicken on the plate.

In fact she had but by the time I saw it next it was nearly down one of the dogs throats!
    First time she has done that.

The baked potato was very nice................

Anyone want to adopt a ginger bimbo border collie?

6. leashedForLife

QUOTE, Dave S:

I planned to have a baked potato with a piece of breaded chicken...
    thought it a bit strange, as DW had not put the chicken on the plate.

In fact she had, but by the time I saw it next, it was nearly down a dog's throat!
    First time she's done that. //The baked potato was very nice...

Anyone want to adopt a ginger bimbo Border Collie?

/QUOTE
    that's whatcha get, sadly - dogs have no pockets, anything not in someone's mouth or immediate vicinity / under their eye, is up for grabs.
    Dog's rule: if no one owns it ATM, i can have it. :( Not her fault, the humans erred.
    hence, dogs don't grasp persistent property: "my" chair, "my" food, "my" car, etc.

Dogs will never have deeds to property. :Hilarious

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Dogs! cant take them anywhere! The other day I turned round to find Alfie with his head in my glass of pineapple juice. First time any of them have attempted a ninja raid on my beverages.:Shifty I should of guessed it would be Alf though, he loves his fruit and veg!:rolleyes:

Tea today was vegetarian shepards pie with green beans, baby corn and broccoli. :)

8. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Red flannel hash (beetroot,onion and potato), kale and a veggie sausage

9. Jonescat

Lasagne leftovers from earlier in the week - 2 layers of pinto beans in tomatoes and herbs, and 1 of mushroom/tofu sauce, with bechamel sauce on top.

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

cauliflower, sweet potato and chickpea curry with brown rice.

Im trying to eat more healthy and am wracking my brains to come up with more interesting veggie meals.o_O Work packed lunch today is what Im calling 'winter coleslaw' (made with carrots, savoy cabbage, leeks, cauliflower and celery....plus some nuts, just coz!):D
    Anybody got any nice veggie meal/snack options feel free to pass 'em on!:Woot

11. leashedForLife

beet salad -
    immerse washed whole beets in cold water to cover 2/3 of the roots; bring to a steady simmer under a lid, & simmer for 20-mins or more, till a fork slips into the root & slides back out [rather than failing to penetrate, meaning still raw, or sticking once it enters, meaning not fully cooked].
    Smaller beets will cook faster, so remove each as it's done, & put another in its place if the pan is too small to hold them all at once.
    as they cool, pick'em up with disposable gloves on, & slip the skins off - they slide right off, it's easy but messy & will stain under & around fingernails for a week, hence the gloves.
    I like to cut them in coarse chunks & pour Bragg's organic pomegranate vinaigrette over them, it's luscous hot or cold.
    If U like onion, fresh onion in thin flexible slices is a nice addition; plain Greek yogurt is also excellent as a dollop on the dressed beets.
    I'll make a whole meal of a big bowl of beet salad & some nice crusty bread. :)
    Do be aware that a large portion of red beets will color Ur urine pink; don't worry, it's a normal side-effect & will disappear when they're out of Ur system.

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Ooooh, I love beetroot!:D
    I put some in my shopping order to be delivered tomorrow actually coz I have a borscht craving!:Shy

13. Jonescat

Just lentil soup today - red lentils, garlic, cumin, thyme, lemon and paprika oil drizzled on top. I need a simple day.

14. leashedForLife

Sat night, we celebrated my Lex client's adult dotter's birthday -
    had take-away from a vegan Pan-Asian restaurant, it was yummy. :) I had udon-noodle soup, as my entree, & ordered a side of steamed brown rice [for the next day]. THe soup was scrumptious, a lovely light broth, my sole disappointment was that they'd fried the block of tofu before slicing it, so most pieces had a tough, chewy rim all 'round, & a few end pieces had one whole side seared & chewy.
    But that was a tiny issue, the whole-wheat noodles were delish, the green onions were just enuf & not too pungent, & the carrot slivers were tender-crisp. :) I'd go there any day!
    Sunday, i added my brown rice to 2 eggs & the last 6-oz of my soup, & microwaved the lot for a tender omelet-in-a-bowl - parsley & cilantro for fresh zest.
    Ate it with a fork - excellent.
    Yesterday, i celebrated my surprise half-day off with a nice [late] lunch: mesclun salad, cranberries, basil dressing, & for main course, tortellini salad with mozz-balls in an herbal EVOO dressing.

15. leashedForLife

heard from my downtown clients that a new grocery / restaurant / foodie heaven had opened, they'd spent *2 years* building inside the former food-court at Prudential Center (a ginormous shopping destination, 2 towers with restaurants, boutiques, retail, pop-up kiosks, seasonal specialties [L L Bean boots in winter, swimsuit lines in summer...], & several hotels that cater to bespoke suit business travelers & 5-star tourists).
    The entire barn-like space of the food court is now EATALY - all one vendor, but multiple venues: a trattoria for casual dining, a full-svc restaurant, wine stall, cheese dept, wood-fired bread bakery, a full grocery, made-to-order cannoli stall, gelateria, made-to-order salads, pastry & coffee shop, kitchen tools, & more, all Italian, all the time.
    went there last nite after work to scope it out; as it was after 9-pm, they weren't packed with ppl, & i could stroll & see what was on offer. ;)
    I had a small portion, some of the best gelata i've ever tasted, made fresh daily on site from local milk [High Lawn Dairy], local eggs [Gerry's], Florida cane-sugar, & Bourbon vanilla from Madagascar - not too sweet, beautifully creamy & fragrant.
    I bought a loaf of fig-bread [rustic, crusty, chewy, full-grain, seedy with coarsely-diced figs], a package of basil, & California-grown organic raspberries as a winter treat.
    They sell amazingly inexpensive salad greens [organic or conventional], but i already had a 15-oz box of 50 / 50 mesclun & spinach in my 'frig, so i controlled myself. :oops:
    This morning's breakfast was low-carb whole wheat bread topped with org sunbutter & applesauce, with locally-pressed organic apple cider to drink. Scrumptious!

16. Dave S

dinner.JPG Roast leg of lamb infused with garlic spears and cooked with fresh onion, garlic roast potatoes, buttered and mashed swede, mixed veg and buttered mushrooms.
    All gone now, very nice.

17. leashedForLife

bought some fantastic Fair Trade organic baking-chocolate, & tomorrow we'll have
    hot chocolate with vegan marshmallows -
    just as a treat, not a meal! -- I'll use 2%-fat organic milk, from grass-fed cows; i think it will be wonderful. :)
    I tried the fig bread today with Neufchatel cheese-spread, sunbutter, & apple-butter, sprinkled with pumpkin-pie seasoning... umm, umm , umm! :Happy
    Tonight will be red lentil soup, it smells so enticing - kale, curry, carrots... lots of good stuff.

18. leashedForLife

QUOTE, catz4m8z:

Dogs! cant take them anywhere! The other day I turned round to find Alfie with his head in my glass of pineapple juice. First time any of them have attempted a ninja raid on my beverages.:Shifty I should of guessed it would be Alf though, he loves his fruit and veg!:rolleyes:

/QUOTE
    U've reminded me -
    i taught my Arab-X mare to drink from a glass, she loved unsweetened apple cider, orange juice, & homemade iced tea with mint. :Hilarious
    Some years later, i taught my Tres Marias Amazon to drink from a cup, & gave him his own - one he could footle. He, too, adored OJ, but he was the only one in the household who would drink un-sweetened cranberry juice with relish.
    :Inpain Whoof! - that's tart stuff.

19. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

for the vegan,
    chinese spiced cauliflower steak with a side of green leaves and griddled artichokes [aldi bottled artichokes are brilliant, really flavoursome]
    for the 'trying to go veggie', [cos his girlfriend is the vegan]
    hm mediteranean pizza made with a cauli pizza base with artichokes, all colours of peppers, cherry tomatoes and cubed courgettes with aubergines with tesco market place mozzerella torn over the top
    for us two meat eaters,
    french toast, some with sugar and some plain with ketchup

20. leashedForLife

I made air-fried steak tips for my downtown clients on Mon-nite, marinated them in A1 sc with added garlic powder, onion powder, & fresh blk-ppr; mashed with butter & Mrs Dash salt-free garlic seasoning; & steamed fresh grn-beans. [Not organic - they buy conventional.]
    Yesterday's late brunch for me was a monster salad; 50/50 baby spinach & mesclun, topped with about 6-oz of steamed haddock, & vegan 1,000 island dressing.
    this morning's brekkie was a full pint of red raspberries & 2 ripe bananas - ummmm... All organic, natch. :) And decaf in my lovely Mexican pottery mug, with 2% org milk from Organic Valley farmers' co-op.