What's for tea?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sleeping_Lion, Nov 1, 2013.

1. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

I'm a big fan of avocado :)

I put a batch of bolognese in the slow cooker this morning so just need to cook some spaghetti when I get home. Served with plenty of parmesan!

2. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

Beef strogonoff with brown basmati rice with spinach and thyme.

3. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

Tuesdays are rapidly becoming jacket potato night in our house :Hungry:Hungry:Hungry

leashedForLife likes this.
  4. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

Mexican Tomato Jumble with Spiced Citrus Halloumi. Recipe stolen from Hello Fresh.

5. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

Chicken dauphinoise with broccoli and courgettes (if my memory is correct and there are a couple left in the fridge).

6. leashedForLife

i've had
    - a sesame bagel toasted dark, with smoked Gouda...
    - a tuna-sub with spinach, thin-sliced cukes, & banana-pprs...
    - rotini pasta with marinara, soy meatless-balls, & Parm-Reggiano
    - a monster bowl of mesclun & spinach, 50/50, with added arugula, mixed dried berries, local raw-milk Cheddar, & sunseeds, dressed w/ lite organic Ranch
    - scrambled-eggs w/ organic salsa on millet bread...
    since i was last here. :)

CKins likes this.
  7. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

Chili con carne meatballs with bulgar wheat for us tonight. A new Jamie Oliver 15 minute meals recipe.

8. leashedForLife

yest, I went out for lunch to Whole Foods - an organic grocery [that cheats by selling conventional-Ag produce, including C & S American bananas, the world's **Most-Sprayed Food Crop**, supassed only by tobacco - which humans brilliantly set afire, & then inhale for maximum damage! - & bananas are closely-tailed by conventional cotton, which thankfully we don't directly eat.
    We 'only' eat the cotton-sprays & fertilizers indirectly, in other produce.].
    I feasted on org baked sweet-potatoes, org steam carrots, & mac-N-cheddar made in house, with local org cheese / conventional spiralini.
    this morning, i had a BelVita banana biscuit [soft oatmeal cookie type] spread w/ org sunseed butter, & decaf with 2% org milk.
    for lunch, i'm having 2 stuffed surf clams in the shell, & a whopping salad [50/50 mesclun + spinach, dried berries, sunseeds, low-cal Ranch - all organic].
    The clams are a rare treat. :)

CKins likes this.
  9. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

Leftovers for us tonight. Have a quick turnaround from getting home at 5.45 to leaving again for a class at 6.30 in which we have to eat, change, feed & toilet dogs as well as erecting the crate for the big dog and then settling them before we go out.

10. houndog

houndog PetForums Member

Homemade bubble and squeak with sausages, yummy!

CKins likes this.
  11. leashedForLife

my AirBnB host was quite upset this morning, she quarreled with her BF last night, she's getting ready for finals [grad student], & she's stressed-out & tense.
    Today BF compounded their disagreement -- she sent him out for instant-coffee & sausages; he walked to Whole Foods, & the poor innocent bought her decaf grain-beverage & SOY sausages. :(
    Not his fault - he's Kazak [as she is] & neither of them have a fluent grasp of everyday English, tho hers is better than his -- her English is however focused on school talk / books, not conversational idiom.
    I went to Whole Foods for myself, & brought them some pre-finals crisis food: chicken & turkey Andouille sausage [no fillers; meat & seasonings], a good Vienna roast instant coffee with plenty of caffeine for studying, a package of 2-bite blueberry scones, & a 1/2-gallon of 2% organic milk [Organic Valley, a farmers' co-op brand].
    That won't magically fix their quarrel, but they should have a couple good meals & some nice snacks, at least. :) Finals is no time for extra stress.
    for myself, I had BelVita banana & decaf w/ 2% milk, a 4-oz cup of unsweetened appleSc, & 2 more of those lovely stuffed surf-clams. :)
    This afternoon i have 2 long-distance errands, which is lousy timing - it's abt 15'F out there with a ferocious wind -- but i'm treating myself to soup & bread at Not Yer Average Joe's.

12. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

Out for dinner tonight AND tomorrow...woohoo!

13. Dave S

Dave S Cosy Corner Collies

A Dolmio meal today as I made a beef lasagne with Rosemary Sweet Potatoes and a seperate lasagne for my mother.

Trying to work out a menu for a house full of people (up to 15 with 6 dogs) after Christmas that does not involve any Christmas type food.
    Problay would be a lasagne as above as well as a cold lamb salad with rocket, spring onions, stilton pasties etc followed by trifle and strudle for whoever wants it with lots of dips, sauces on the side. Mostly all homemade but must have a look in my books.

CKins likes this.
  14. CKins

CKins PetForums VIP

Quinoa black bean tacos with creamy avocado sauce :)

15. leashedForLife

celebrating Solstice, Hannukah, Xmas, & longer days! -
    with potato latkes / applesauce, a monster salad, good bread, dips & spreads, a nice Wensleydale cheese [for me], & various sweets after.

16. leashedForLife

Sunday night, i made a simplified version of the wonderful Lentil Soup #2 on AllRecipes.com -
    this time w/ red lentils not my usual large olive-green, plus carrots, roasted plantains, a little garlic, & seasoned w/ turmeric, mild curry powder, cardamom, coriander, & fresh-ground black ppr.
    I put in 12-oz of fresh tangy apple cider, & 1 Tbsp of cider-vinegar, when the lentils began to thicken.
    It was delicious hot, fragrant & steaming, & just as yummy cold today, for lunch. :)

17. Dave S

Dave S Cosy Corner Collies

Stopped in at my favourite butchers for half a kilo of his quality beef mince which was going to form the basis for a Cottage Pie. Hardly any fat in it what so ever.
    Fried it up with sliced mushrooms and diced onions and added thick beef gravy and worcester sauce.
    Topped with mashed Maris Piper potatoes and a side of veg.

And for pud - piping hot home made apple and pear crumble and double cream
    Brilliant.

Now preparing a Duck to roast tomorrow.

18. Creativecat

Creativecat PetForums Senior

Making some Lincolnshire sausages
    Cheddar mash n brocolli tonite . I also like pizza in a cup new invention created by Heston bluemantal pmsl. Dessert a nice tub of quality Ice cream zapped for 30 seconds.
    But my best dessert by far is a reasonably priced frozen cheesecake baked for 30 mins then jazz up with some part frozen mixed berrys with some jui dribbled over

19. leashedForLife

had a yummy brekkie of 2 large "stuffed clams" [surf calms diced, mixed with bread cubes, onion, celery, seasonings, etc, then put back into the half-shells], & after heating them piping-hot, i had a nice sauce on the side [2 parts tartar, 1 part sweet chili-sauce] to dab each forkful. Yum! :)
    Tonight i'll have organic Garnet sweet-potatoes, cut in fingers & roasted in the oven, with the peel on. I love sweet-potatoes.

20. leashedForLife

some news on the organic-food front:
    http://www.organicauthority.com/glo...ges-market-expected-to-nearly-triple-by-2022/
    QUOTE,
    "The growth... overall has been attributed to rising income levels, improvement of organic farming techniques, and
    increased awareness regarding the health advantages of organic food and beverages, including the popularity of the Environmental Working Group’s
    Dirty Dozen list of produce particularly affected by pesticides in conventional agriculture.

North America and Europe contributed to more than four-fifths of the global organic market in 2015, though projections show that the Asia-Pacific region is anticipated to grow at an unprecedented rate during the forecast period.

Despite the increase in the organic food & beverages market and the recent record of 4.1 million acres of organic farmland reached by the United Statesan 11% increase over 2014 organic supply is still not able to meet increasing consumer demand.

Due in part to this gap between supply and demand, the USDA announced last Wednesday that it would be launching a program to certify the farmland of growers in transition to organic production, to encourage more farmers to achieve organic certification.

Farmers in transition will be allowed to increase the prices of their products before they receive full organic certification, enabling them to cover extra costs associated with transitioning to organic farming in the three years that this certification generally takes to complete."
    Rusty-patched Bumblebees hit the ESA list:
    http://www.organicauthority.com/bumblebees-are-officially-an-endangered-species-in-the-us/

Organic farming will get a boost from checkoff program:
    http://www.organicauthority.com/got-organic-usda-moves-closer-to-organic-industry-checkoff-program/
    1st GMO apples will his US store shelves in Feb-2017:
    http://www.organicauthority.com/first-gmo-apples-to-hit-stores-in-february/
    QUOTE,
    "Golden Delicious,... Granny Smith, & Fuji varieties of GMO apple have also been approved for sale in the United States and in Canada.
    The Golden Delicious & Granny Smith varieties are expected to produce commercial quantities of fruit by next fall’s apple season, & the company expects to sell approximately 6,000 40-pound boxes of sliced apples in the fall, 12 times the amount being sold in this smaller roll-out of the product.
    France will test video-cameras in slaughterhouses to combat "rampant abuse"
    http://www.organicauthority.com/fra...after-undercover-videos-reveal-rampant-abuse/
    QUOTE,
    "The leaked videos were not only enough to catch the attention of French officials, but also its citizens - a recent study revealed 85% of French citizens support the use of video cameras in slaughterhouses.

Under the proposed law, all areas of slaughterhouses where humans handle animals would require constant video surveillance. The videos would be reviewable by veterinarians and animal welfare authorities to verify proper humane treatment and allow for legal action, should abuse or improper slaughters occur.

The new law will require an independent commission and a national slaughterhouse ethics committee would be formed, and penalties for violating the law could include up to 12 months in prison along with steep fines up to $21,000 (€20,000). Before it goes to a senate vote, the proposed law will be tested in 263 slaughterhouses across France.

French parliament set up a special committee last spring after the undercover videos showed excessive animal cruelty, and the country’s Agriculture Ministry ordered a nationwide investigation and inspection of its slaughterhouses, which produce some 3.45 million tons of meat annually.

But the victory has complications for animal rights activists, “animal protection advocates are preparing for an uphill battle ahead of debate in Parliament against the dominant agriculture lobby, a major economic sector in France,” reports Medium. There may be limited access for some government officials and animal welfare industry representative in access to or viewing the footage if the livestock industry is successful in its influence of government officials."
    Meanwhile, in the USA, in several states it is illegal to take any undercover video or photos of animal handling, & in Texas, CRITICIZING the beef industry is banned - Oprah Winfrey was taken to court a few years back, when she had the nerve to make derogatory remarks about industrial Ag & CAFOs [concentrated animal feeding operations, AKA feedlots, where thousands of animals mill about knee-deep in their own sh!t & piss for weeks on end before slaughter].

#2240 leashedForLife, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017