Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whats a good price???

Discussion in 'Dog Classifieds' started by princessx87, Jul 6, 2009.

1. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Hi peeps.

I have been looking for a Chihuahua puppy for my mum, for a while now.
    Just under a year ago we had a good amount saved up ready for the newest bundle, When we got caught by a scammer and we lost everything.

After speaking to a few people on here, a few said to save and re-start..
    My question is what price range should i be looking at.?

Some have told me around £870.00 per dog, but what would i get for that..?
    First injections....ect..

Second question is, I have also been looking at pugs for her, as she only wants something small, again been told £960.00 per pup.

When these dogs are being sold, can someone tell me why they are so expensive and what you get for your money??

Sorry for the essay, Just like to know where i stand before comitting lol

2. Think the prices you have quoted both sound a little on the cheap side myself. Think a realiatic price would be around £1200 myself! Have seent then advertised at up to £2000 - but personally think this is a little too much.
    Don't part with any money until you have actually seen the pup in it's home environment would be my advice also.
    Best of luck
    DT

The reason they are so expensive I believe is that they only have very small litters - some actually only producing one or two puppies¬ whether tihis is correct maybe Kerry will advise!

DT

3. princessx87

Thank you DT.

We got scammed, and its been really hard finding a good breeder within our area...Hence why i'm asking all questions now lol

4. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

I would think market forces are at work as well - anything is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it - and chihuahuas and pugs are very popular pets at the moment. As an asiade, personally, I think it's probably a good thing, because high prices will put off the majority of people who just want a dog as a fashion accessory.

5. You could well find that you may have to travel a good distance to get a good puppy! Have you tried the speciic breed club to see if there are any members with puppies or and planned litters due! You could also find that you may have to go onto a waiting list!
    regards
    DT

6. princessx87

Yes i have been looking now all over the UK.
    The only reason my mum wants a dog of these breeds is because she has a long-term illness, so bigger dogs are out of the question.

I wouldn't mind even ringing rescue centers, but i should think many dogs of these breeds wouldn't face the heartache of rescues.

I have called a few breeders since being scammed, and was offered a spayed bitch age 17 years, for £2,800...But there is no way i can pay that!! lol
    :eek:hmy:

Does anyone know of any rescues in the uk, that could be of assistants..?
    Many thanks for reading.

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I agree with DT :)..

you will be surprised at the dogs in recues altough the two breeds you have mentioned are mainly crosses..would that be considered?
    Most are ex -breeding bitches too :(
    and that is a total joke £2,800 for a dog that near on at the end of its life!
    The breeds you have mentioned dont come cheap im afraid...Just dont be fooled by the "Tea Cups" some breeders will add the tag "Tea Cup" to theres pups as well as a few more 00

8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

#8 DevilDogz, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2009
  9. princessx87

yes a cross-breed would be considered just there is no way i would pay or could afford nearly 3k for a dog..!

10. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I traveled for 3 hours to a rescue center that had chihuahu x yorkie that looked just like a chihuahua to me. I paid £250 plus petrol. She was for a relative who couldnt travel far due to phobias. She may not have papers or be from champion showlines....but she makes a wonderful companion. Have you tried rescue centers etc.

11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

In that case then i really would consider a rescue dog :)

12. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

13. Sorry!!! but they were taking the p*ss!!
    regards
    DT

14. princessx87

Thanks for the links..

Yes rescue dogs will be considered, but so will cross-breeds for sale.
    DT, i think so too, as they was selling her at that price!!

15. Princess!

Roseforthedead has just put a post on here regarding four dogs that are on death row!

One a cross BT x JRT looks like it could be a great little dog!!! Maybe worth a look!
    regards
    DT

16. My-Terriers

My-Terriers PetForums Member

I've heard of quite a few people scammed whilst buying Chihuahuas.
    In my local free ads paper (I'm from North West) I've seen them advertised for as little as £600. Maybe its a case of travelling. I've found with horses that the price depends on the location. Maybe dogs are similar???

17. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Are you willing to travel?
    As my friend breeds show quality chi's and she wouldn't dare ask those kind of prices for a pup, if you PM I will give you her number as I know she has some available at the moment hopeully one for me too, as I am hoping ot start showing it eventually inbetween the poms that is.

I would be wary of a JRT x Chi as smooth coat chi's can be quite terrier like in character and to mix with JRT's that can also be quite Highly strung can quite often end in a bad mix tbh.
    It may also be worth contacting The British Chihuahua club's rescue I belive there is a contact number on their website.

Take care

Sarah

18. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Is your mums heart set on a pup or would she consider an older dog, if she would have a look at the Many Tears web site ( Many Tears Animal Rescue - Dogs looking for homes ) they have an 8 year old Chihuahua in at the moment, they also have quite a few Bichon's which might suit your mum.

Terri

19. princessx87

Hi all

Yes a rescue would be considered.
    I have looked at many tears, And have contacted about the 8 year old.
    Might not be short-listed as we have other animals ect..

My mum, is open to the age and sex, But if she "could" choose, then she would go for a female and around puppy age!

Thank you for all your help!

pommum yes please PM!

20. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

Where are you looked?? there are a few on preloved as well as crosses xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice