Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's a deal breaker in a breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Meezey, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

After reading a few threads just wondered what would turn people completely off a breed?

There are very few breeds I dislike, and hundreds of breeds I would love to own, but there are many things that mean I would/could/should never own certain breeds a few are:

Breeds who aren't safe round cats
    Breeds who are known for little or no recall
    Breeds who should be worked to be happy, some breeds and lines shouldn't just be worked a few hours a week.
    Breeds who coats need daily care
    Breeds who drool excessively
    Really noisey breeds
    Sensitive breeds
    Breeds who really should not be in residential areas which includes for me many of the LGD's
    Breeds I have never met in the flesh and spent a lot of time round

What's are things that mean you would not have a certain breed?

Please don't mention breeds, groups or types is grand ;) as it then just becomes a breed bashing thread which isn't the idea.

Maybe give people ideas on things to consider when getting a dog :)

#1 Meezey, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

My deal breakers are pretty similar to yours @Meezey .
    I like many, many breeds but most wouldn't suit me or rather I wouldn't suit them at all.

So here are my big no-nos....

* Real lack of biddability
    * Renowned for lots of health problems
    * Considered not to be off-lead safe
    * Toy breeds... I'd be scared I'd sit on it!
    * Anything drooly. I can't bear saliva.
    * Wrinkly, excess skin
    * Lack of muzzle
    * Droopy eyes. I just think it looks revolting.
    * Breeds renowned for being pungent. I know it's a faintly ridiculous thing for a dog owner to say but I can't stand that greasy, damp dog smell.
    * Very short lifespans.

3. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

The breed has to fit within my current circumstances; I would love a big dog, but my flat and garden are not big enough.
    Heavy shedding would put me off - it's a shame, as there are so many lovely breeds but the hair just gets everywhere.
    Heavy drooling would also put me off, but not as much as shedding.
    Breeds which need a very experienced owner, or have very specific requirements
    Breeds that are known to be particularly oily or odorous
    Breeds that need to be worked
    Breeds that are prone to health problems, although there is one breed that I adore and would consider if I could find an extremely conscientious breeder who was striving to improve the breed.

4. leashedForLife

* mindlessly yappy
    * snap 1st, act sorry later (if at all, LOL)
    * wants to kill EVERYthing that moves
    * can't settle for 20-mins; paces, whines, checks windows & doors, nudges... [my younger Sis' hunting-lines dog - Ye gods! Maddening.]
    * year-round heavy shedding [sorry... ]
    * slings saliva-spaghetti on the walls & ceiling when shaking their head, bleccch
    * face looks like they "chased" a parked car & ran headlong into the bumper [Ow.]
    * incredibly unathletic, turn to blimps at a young age, & practically sessile by 7-YO.
    * godawful rear structure or warped front assembly [banana backs, bowed legs, E-W feet, goose rump, etc]
    * more coat-care than my own hair-care, every doggone day
    * list of health problems as long as i am tall [5' 8"]
    * extremely prone to M:M (or same-sex aggro in both sexes)
    I like dogs who don't
    adore! every human on the planet, but are tolerant & civil to the vast majority, & sociable.
    I like active dogs -- but not maniacs without any off switch.
    I like dogs who think before reacting [unless of course they are startled; anyone can be freaked by bizarre events].
    I prefer dogs who can make friends with some other dogs, but don't PREFER any dog to any person.

@Meezey , i think U meant to say

Breeds who really should [not] be in residential areas, which includes for me many of the LGDs.
    ;)

LinznMilly, Maxine67 and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

There are many breeds that I like the look of, but know for sure I couldn't handle.

Guardian breeds who are "suspicious" (can't think of the proper term for it) of everyone. That's wayyyy beyond my capabilities.
    Non biddable breeds. The type who really don't give a sh*t if they please you or not. How the hell do you train them?
    Breeds known for poor recall.
    Overly sensitive breeds *looks at Phoebe* :rolleyes:
    Small, fragile breeds. I like sturdy dogs who I can play fight with and I won't break them.
    Slobbery breeds.

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Same way you train biddable breeds, find what they care about and use that to motivate them :)

To me, biddable are those dogs who naturally look to you and want to know what next. *Many* breeds do not fall under this umbrella but are highly trainable and easy to work with. You just have to know how to motivate them on their terms.
    A lot of the not traditionally biddable breeds are fantastic problem solvers and really love the "game" of figuring out how to make the reward happen so they really shine with things like clicker training and you can have a lot of fun working with dogs like this.

Then there is that idea of work ethic. Dogs who like to work and do stuff, stay busy. All the biddability in the world isn't going to do you any good if the dog has no gumption, no work ethic. So in some ways a dog who is willing to work but may not be very biddable is going to be easier in the long run than a more biddable dog who has no interest in doing anything that requires effort on their part.

As for the question, my only two complete non-negotiables are 1) off leash reliability - doesn't have to be perfect, but has to be enough that they can live out here on unfenced land. 2) Size. Too many predators for us to safely have a snack sized dog.
    I should also clarify that I would not keep a dog of unsafe temperament, but no breed has an inherently unsafe temperament, that's an individual dog thing.

I have strong preferences, that would definitely guide what kinds of dogs we choose, but not so strong that if a dog needed a home I would say no because they don't meet my ideal.

7. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Haha I did just noticed the two occasions I meant to use "not" I'd just left it out. Fixed now hopefully.

leashedForLife likes this.
  8. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Heavily shedding dogs or those who require hours of grooming.

leashedForLife and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. planete

planete PetForums Senior

I would not have a very human aggressive dog, a dog who drools a lot or a dog with a human engineered deformity that impairs athleticism. I have found most other things can be worked with. I would also have to avoid giant breeds for practical reasons (small, old owner, small car, small house, small garden...)

leashedForLife likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Wouldn't choose dogs with:

Long coats that need lots of maintenance
    Drooling dogs
    Dogs that need to be worked to be happy
    Extreme looks - squashed faces, squat legs, drooping eyes, etc.
    Yappy, barky dogs
    Guardian breeds
    Prey drive and unsafe off leash! ;) :D

Well, that last one: I wouldn't actively seek out a dog like this, but having one that turned out that way hasn't really been that much of an issue for me really. An easier issue to manage than aggression, for instance.

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Deal breakers are:
    The breed must be essentially healthy and fit for purpose. By which I mean no breed that cannot run easily, breathe easily or keep itself clean eg no excess skin folds or drop ears that are very prone to infection.

Dogs that drool.

Dogs that have to be kept on leash at all times.

Dogs with very short legs or bowed legs.

Then there are things that I wouldn't chose or actively look for but if a relative was desperate to give "Fido" a new home then I wouldn't say no on out if hand are:
    Coats that need a lot of grooming or trips to the groomer

Breeds that are prone to health issues where I cannot locate health tested parents to ensure their offspring will have a very high chance of being disease free.

Curled or wire haired coats.

Flat faced or with developed flews

Dogs breeds that are not keen on exercise or whose idea of exercise is a quick walk around the block

Things I would prefer are:
    Generally more biddable breeds. Pointy noses with minimal flews, short or medium coats that only need a quick brush once a day and little longer every week or so. Able to run and jump and take part in active dog sports. Overall healthy breed or one where healthy individuals are easy to source. ( I know that some individuals just have bad luck, unplanned disease or injury and that's OK but want to stack the odds of health from the beginning)

At the end of the day I will in all probability get a rescue mutt so some of my criteria will be open for discussion :)

12. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

For me, I wouldnt own a dog that:
    * Was extreme in any way
    * Known for off lead unreliability
    * Known for lack of trainibility
    There are very, very few breeds I do actually like enough to want to own.

Katalyst and leashedForLife like this.
  13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I agree with all these. I am quite (very) fussy and I do not automatically love a dog just because it is a dog. I have to add shedding as since I had poodles I would hate to go back to dog hair floors. I did it for over 30 years and find floor coloured floors quite a novelty still.

Katalyst likes this.
  14. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Pretty much a mixture of what people have already said
    Breeds which are not generally considered safe around cats
    Breeds with extreme looks (squashed in faces, lots of folds, droopy eyes, very short legs in comparison to body size etc.)
    Breeds known to not have good recall
    Breeds which are not handler dependent
    Breeds which don't have an "off" switch, but also...
    Breeds with very little drive

I think that's about it.

15. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Illness due to design and interbreeding.

Katalyst, kittih and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

For me any dog, irrespective of breed who is human or dog aggressive.

kittih, leashedForLife and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Ones without the requisite number of limbs
    Deaf dogs
    Blind dogs
    Incontinent dogs
    Ones which require being on a lead all the time
    Ones which require a special room for collecting all the dog hair they lose when moulting
    Ones which take two days to wash and dry
    White dogs
    Ones which look and sound as though they are having an asthma attack
    Ones that slobber and drool
    Ones which are very fragile

18. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Great thread idea:D

For me these are the dealbreakers:

Anything brachy
    Anything wrinkly
    Anything with any extreme morphology
    Anything with a high prey drive or that is generally not biddable with small furries
    Hairy faced/bearded
    Excessively large or small
    Reputation for a short life or lots of health issues
    Excessive drool
    A need to be constantly onlead
    Anything which is the current fad or fashion- I find extreme popularity quite offputting although I don't really know why
    Anything that requires lots of grooming (dogs that shed loads don't bother me)

I wouldn't discount dogs with short, sleek coats, white or light coats, or dogs that have a tendency to be moderately independent, but generally I prefer dogs with long dark coloured or with minimally white splashed coats & who are handler focused.

kittih, LinznMilly and leashedForLife like this.
  19. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

I am a dog lover and like plenty of dogs individually, without actually wishing to own that breed - if that makes sense.

Deal-breakers for me are :

*Drooling/slobbering
    *Giant breeds
    *Toy breeds
    *Brachy breeds
    *Dogs that cannot be let off lead
    *Overly people or dog aggressive
    *Coat that requires professional grooming

Attractive traits are :

*Biddable
    *Handler dependent
    *Good play/prey drive
    *Medium to large in size
    *Protective nature
    *Social with people and other dogs without being all over everyone

Katalyst, kittih and leashedForLife like this.
  20. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

In short and very simple terms, I'd never take on dogs with short lifespans, yappers and Brachycephalic dogs, which is a shame because I really do like the English Bulldog.
    The goofiest dog I know of.:)
    Personally, I don't approve of any LGDs in residential/built up areas.

Katalyst, kittih and Magyarmum like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice