Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What your dog was bred to do

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Aug 4, 2009.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Does anybody here do the things their dog's were originally bred for?

etc Patterdales for ratting or Springers for retrieving game birds

I used to loan barney out to a guy that used to shoot, sadly he got into an accident and was paralyzed so can no longer shoot. I myself could not shoot an animal so instead I play hide and seek with objects in fields etc to keep him happy.

Maya...well I have tried and failed. I have started making her run allot more though so we may start to make some progress with getting her to pull something, but who knows.

If you don't do you do something similar etc like a staffie you aren't obviously going to train to fight over dogs but maybe instead you have a spring pole or play a good tug of war.

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Buster no because I didn't want to do earth dog trials with him.
    Silas no sheep around or sleds to pull unfortunately but we do some weight pulling with him which he loves
    Sophie we do a lot of retrieval games especially in the water as she's a mix of 2 water retrievers.
    Max again no cows or milk carts around here so no.

3. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

yep... i use my dog as a guard of the house :D

But only to ring alarm if something unusuall is happening or someone strange is approuching the property! :smilewinkgrin:

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Guarding temples, palaces :) and my house of course ;)

alphadog likes this.
  5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I treat my boys like i would treat most pet dogs. I dont encourage tugging games between dog and human, as i feel it encourages a dog to use its mouth too much. They do tug between themselves, but not to a huge degree, as Alfie doesnt like tuggy games.

I hate it when people hang SBT's off of things. Very dangerous imo.

Both my boys like to retrieve. Oscar plays with his ring on a walk, Alfie has his huge collection of budgie balls that he loves to play with in the house and garden.

I dont look at my dogs breed, i look at what they enjoy and whats acceptable. They dont know they are SBT's, and ive never encouraged what people think of as typical breeds behaviours/games in my dogs. I treat them as i treated my old lab and my old collie.

goodvic2 likes this.
  6. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Shen is a Labrador Retriever, so his breed was bred for retrieving game birds.

However try telling Shen that, he believes that he was breed for retrieving food that is cooling on the kitchen worktop!

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Of course my staffie crosses were bred to make me look hard as nails and scare the neighbourhood, sadly Cooper fails by being a big soft muppet. Tiz does better by snarling and barking at anyone who dares walk passed her..although if they stopped and said hello she'd lick them to death!!

My Poodle x was bred to prance about and look like a nonce - which he does rather well if I do say so myself, my mongrel was bred to look like a dog on a rope..which again he excel's at! And my JRT was bred to kill rats (does taking them off the cat who has already killed them count?) and flush out rabbits ..which surprisingly he actually does do but unfortunately as the rest of his pack are such silly dogs then don't assist and finish off the prey for him!!

:D Joking aside my JRT does 'work' with a friends lurchers, and will work when I get my lurcher but it's all pretend the lurchers are muzzled so they can't kill the prey and it's purely done to excercise their natural instincts. ;)

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

W e dont work our springers but like to think that the type of walks we do with them it does satisfy their natural insticts, and ime sure it does they go in woods fields undergrowth their noses are down tails on the go and they are happy, when were on the playing fields they love the ball retrieving it and bringing it back and dropping it at our feet. Ime sure they are happy and i dont feel as they are missing out contrary to what some people have said.

9. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

I have a terrier x who looks like she's supposed to be accopanied by a vagrant, she excells at going thru garbage! She's been foiled tho as we have finally found a bin tht she can't raid!:D

I also have a NI which were bred to look like wolves without actually being a wolf, he excells at this because when i walk down the street in my long red coat, with him loping next to me it's like a scene from a fairy tale!!!!! all i need is a basket!:p

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I wanted to rep you for this, but i have none left :(

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

:D:D:D:D:D LOVE IT,! HE'S TYPICAL OF HIS BREED THEN ive never met a lab that doesnt love their food. Bet youve never told him what he's suposed retrieve. . . . . . no? there you go then, hows he suposed to know.:D:rolleyes:

12. rona

rona Guest

Poodles were gundogs :D

All my Goldies have been allowed to do what they were bred for.

13. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Great posts so far guys, it's fascinating to see what people think and do.

Random; i actually met one lab who was very fussy on his food, I was just in shock when i heard this :D

14. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

my Siberian huskies were bred to pull a light to moderate load quickly over long distances.

my GSP was bred to hunt/point/retrieve

15. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:D I couldn't see Sidney being any good, he'd nick the dead thing and run away and eat it!! Then get bored and start yodelling and scare off everything!! Think he's better off being the resident clown and chief ball picker-upper!! ;)

16. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

My labs are the retrieve anything that is shot, they are bred for it and work brilliantly.

My spaniels do, they are meant to flush and they do, they go into thick brush, and flush out any rabbits or pheasants etc. that are sitting tight. Again fabulous workers

My setter does she is meant to point and she does, soon as she catches a scent, she is on point and bang our hawk comes down and catches the prey. When flushed by a ferret, or another dog.

My terrier does, cracking little ratter, when let out and say "get them rats" will stand at a gutter hole and when flushed out diposes quickly and professionally.

All my dogs do what they are meant to do.

17. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah I was really surprised when I was told poodles were duck dogs right? Some people do still work them as gundogs.

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

19. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

That poodle looks a lot better than the ones in the show ring I prefer those cuts to the exaggarated show ones

20. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Fighting. Also guarding, drafting and hunting further back in their history.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice