Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What would you say?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by thedogsmother, Jan 21, 2012.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

A family member has two dogs, one is a lovely bouncy flat coated retriever that theyve had since he was 7 weeks and the other is a 3 year old cocker spaniel, they got him off someone they met who wanted "rid" of him because they were moving abroad. Within a few days he was ruling the house, he growls at children and has bitten her oh when he tried to remove a stolen food item, it went right through his thumb nail so it wasnt a nip. He growls at anyone who tries to stop him doing what he wants to. Ive told her that she should rehome the dog to someone who is more able to cope but she just keeps asking me to train him, Ive refused because I dont think the fault lies with the dog, her last dog was pts when it bit someone and was always pretty bossy and snappy. A couple of days ago he bit one of her sons friends, apparently the children were playing rough with each other and the dog bit one hard on the arm, the child needed to go to the hospital but I dont think the parents are taking this further. I know this is a serious accident waiting to happen but Im not able to get this through to her.

2. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

sounds like its all going to end badly

if you can you need to be completely honest, i wouldn't know where to start with a dog like that but perhaps if you do you could try help her out, look at suggesting to get someone in. wouldn't like to see a dog put down or a child hurt

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Did the childs parents not have something to say about this? :eek:

There isn't mcuh you can say, to someone who won't listen.
    Can you not scare her into re-homing him... like telling her if he bit and it came up that he bit this child he could be pts, or she could be fined or something?

#3 PoisonGirl, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. Cazz enigma

Cazz enigma PetForums Member

That doesn't sound good at all, especially with kids in the house. Not sure what you will be able to do if she won't listen to reason.

5. thedogsmother

She got a behaviourist in but they only had one session, they said he told them to always walk him on a lead to let him know who is in charge and that was the only instruction, according to her anyway. They allow him to walk off lead and hes always running off and starting fights or attacking other dogs. Im really worried someone is going to get hurt. Ive refused to take him and train him because I wont have him around my children, Ive offered to go on walks with them and advise them as best I can but whenever I suggest a time they arent available, I dont think he gets more than a walk around the field once or twice a day but Im not sure about that. Do you think I should be trying to push her into finding a more experienced home, Im just really worried about her little boy.

6. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Find her the name and number of an APDT behaviourist. She has a dangerous dog in her house and she needs to do something about it before it puts another kid in hospital.

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Unfortunately, it is not easy to rehome a dog that has bitten a child, as my friend recently found out with her spaniel. I think the first thing is a vet visit to see if there is anything wrong with him medically. My friend's dog turned out to have heart problems, which she knew nothing about.

8. thedogsmother

They were both terrified last night that he might be pts, theydont want to rehome as they treat him like a baby, cuddling him in their arms every night. Ive tried to tell them that its going to make him worse and at least confused. I think this boys parents were ok about it but Ive got that 2nd hand so Im not sure how true it is. I feel so tied on this, I know what the right thing to do is, she should never have taken on one dog let alone two, one of which has behavioural problems but they are both convinced that its not a major problem.

9. Cazz enigma

I suppose that's the problem? The fact that they think it's not a major problem

10. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

You are in such a difficult position with this and they wont listen to you or make any effort to go for walks with you so you can help. I think you are wise not wanting to take the dog to train it as there is no way you can risk your own children. Is there anyone else you know who might be able to advise them and get it throught to them that they need to sort him out?

I am actually quite stunned that they are taking such a relaxed attitude as this is so very serious and is a ticking time bomb as we all know. Maybe you should scare them into acting by saying they will be held responsible if he bites again, as they knew he had done it before and are being negligent in not dealing with the problem. They could be sued as well as him being PTS if he causes further injury.

I really hope you can through to them and it all works out ok.

11. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

he probably wouldn't be accepted to a rescue with a bite history and if they lied and took him in and he bit there he'd be put down anyway wouldn't he. i'd try with another behaviourist

i think we're getting to the point where we might need some help with trouble and her door manners and i regard her as my baby so will try and try until we get us all fixed.

what can you really do, just keep suggesting, trying, going on, might mean that the friendship suffers but the owner needs to see that something is wrong or nothing will change

poor fella, it's difficult when it's not yours, same as with kids i guess

12. thedogsmother

Ok its got a lot worse, I need the number of anywhere that will take him or hes being pts tommorrow morning, hes attacked his owner (my sister) hes gashed her arm, it was unprovoked, she is insisting hes pts, her oh has asked me to find somewhere that will take him, has anyone got any ideas.

13. Cazz enigma

Oh no!!! Hope she's ok, but shame she didn't do something earlier.

What a sad ending :(

14. thedogsmother

Ive been saying since they got him and he displayed these tendancies that she needs to find him an experienced home and she wanted to keep him, but Ive just had a horrible feeling recently that something bad was going to happen and now it has. Ive found some breed specific rescues and passed on the numbers but I doubt they would touch him now as this was an unprovoked attack :( Hes only 3 years old, Im so angry with all his previous owners too, something has caused this dog to behave like this.

15. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

is the dog castrated? I hope he can find somewhere, it will be hard though i bet.

16. thedogsmother

He isnt neutered, Ive also been nagging her to get that done at least to help solve the dog aggression but its been put off and put off for months. The trouble is she wants him out of the house NOW, she refused to discuss it on the phone so I talked to her oh and sent some details of rescues, I think shes finally seen how dangerous he is but its got to the stage where it may be too late to save him :mad:

17. PennyH

PennyH PetForums Senior

I am so very sorry to read this.... have a look on CockersOnline and there may be some other links on there for people who may be able to help. However, the fact he has bitten more than once (and each time seriously) may make him un-re-homeable.
    I am so sad for you and your sister - and not least for the poor dog.
    Maybe that is why the other people "wanted rid"....

18. Cazz enigma

Not really the poor dogs fault at all :( :mad:

19. thedogsmother

Cazz Im so angry, Im trying hard to keep calm about it, it isnt entirely my sisters fault, he had a lot of issues when he came to her but admitting you cant deal with a dog, although hard is somtimes the responsible thing to do and he should have gone to an experienced home or breed specific rescue before he had ever bitten, now I fear it will be too late.

20. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Will many tears be able to help? I wonder

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice