Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bay20, Sep 2, 2013.

1. bay20

bay20 PetForums Senior

I took my pup out for a walk Saturday in the glorious sunshine. As i entered the Arts Centre locally which has a beautiful park and lake out the back i noticed a dog in camper van, locked inside all the windows shut panting profously. Instantly i was worried but thought, ok ill walk around the park and pop back to see if the owners are back, maybe theyve popped in to use the facilities. 25 minutes later i looped back to find him/her still locked inside the camper van. I instantly marched up to the manager of the centre and informed him about the dog, it was a good 24 degrees and must have been sweltering inside that van. Apparently they knew whose it was as he "had just been to watch his child in a play and was just coming out", i was so upset for the dog. He/she must have been locked in that van for over an hour and a half. As i walked back i noticed the owners were back at the van, it took all my strength not to go over there and say something. but...maybe i should have?

2. owns the beast

owns the beast PetForums Senior

It's always difficult to know what to do in these situations. I think you did the right thing in reporting it to the manager of the centre so they could then deal with it. If you'd gone up to the owners afterwards you could have gotten a lot of abuse - or worse. It's really sad that owners do this to their dogs :(

3. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

If I saw a panting dog locked in a van id have gone into the centre and demanded they either paged the owner or call the police ... if no-one had arrived after 5 minutes id have smashed the window and got the dog out , and sod the consequences

4. Tanji

Tanji PetForums Member

Think you know yourself you should have said something, 999 next time police can effect entry to prevent suffering save the life potentially

5. bay20

bay20 PetForums Senior

that was my real worry, that being a lone female I could have set myself up for a torrent of abuse or worse from who ever owned that van. it is a shame that i am the one who feels guilty for not acting as soon as entered the park or for not saying something to them, when clearly the owners had no guilt about leaving their dog in the car:(

6. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Honestly?

I'd have gone to the manager immediately. If they'd refused to act, I'd have called the police. 101 is the non emergency number.

7. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

If you ever see anything like it again, just phone 999 straight away.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

At least you spoke to someone - but only 25 minutes after you saw the dog in distress. Frankly, I don't think that's good enough - you should have reported it straight away. I'm a lone female too, I've had a few torrents of abuse thrown at me, and dished out a few myself. And you know what? They don't hurt, nobody dies (though this dog might have). At times I've been prepared to be hit, then I could get the person arrested for assault; it would be worth it.

9. Bramblesmum

Bramblesmum PetForums Member

It's very easy to be wise after the event - and at least the OP went and reported it - though the attitude of the manager was appalling - and as another lone female I sympathise with her fear of being abused or assaulted. I am sorry but I really don't think your comments were called for Burrowzig.

10. bay20

bay20 PetForums Senior

Hindsight is indeed a marvellous thing. I do regret giving the owners the benefit of the doubt thinking they must have just popped in to use the toilets as its often a stop off for campers passing through. I'm not a confrontational person and do like to think the best of people. Hopefully there won't be a next time but will take on board everyone's suggestions

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice