Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

What would you do ?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Milly22, Jul 27, 2009.


  1. Milly22

    Milly22 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3,317
    Likes Received:
    71
    Hello, again.

    I had a little kitten leave last Monday. The owners were/are very nice people but the lady suffers a bit with her nerves/depression.

    They have a Persian girl already who is 3. They lost their Tomcat a few months ago and the persian was pining.

    They had the pick of the litter, they chose a little boy who was the smallest of the litter but he soon came on and within a few weeks he was very lively and the same size as all the others.

    I advised the lady that she may have some problems to start with introduing a new cat but she would not hear of it and said "no my X has never scheeshted as any cat before"!

    I am assuming scheeshting is hissing.

    One week on and they are driven demented, Persian is indeed Sheeshting and Oscar is apparently terrifying the persian (he 14 weeks :rolleyes:) anyway, I think they are strongly hinting that they have made a mistake. I had an email this morning saying things had taken a turn for the worst and she did not know who was losing their mind the most, her ror her husband! :eek:

    Should I take him back ?
     
  2. ellie8024

    ellie8024 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,128
    Likes Received:
    18
    thats a difficult one.. one week really isnt long enough for cats to accept one another as you know it can take months on the other hand if you think that they will try and rehome him themselves then i would say take him back that way you get to make sure he goes to a good home
     
  3. messyhearts

    messyhearts PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,632
    Likes Received:
    55
    Give her advice to solve it but if she can't be bothered maybe it's for the best that you get him back?
     
  4. Milly22

    Milly22 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3,317
    Likes Received:
    71
    Yes, it's a difficult one. I wish she would take my advice though, she will not buy feliway, as she thinks it's useless. I may buy one and send her it. One week is way too soon but if it is making her ill, perhaps I should just get him back.
     
    #4 Milly22, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  5. ChinaBlue

    ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Messages:
    3,666
    Likes Received:
    90
    It sounds like she isn't making much of an effort to help resolve matters after you giving her sound advice. May indeed be an idea to send her a Feliway and ask her to give it at least another week if she can. If things haven't settled down by then offer to take the kitten back. At least you will have done everything you can to help. You will then have to decide on whether to refund her the whole amount back but I would think perhaps you should retain some of the money to cover any expenses incurred but let's hope it doesn't come to that.
     
  6. Taylorbaby

    Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2009
    Messages:
    12,035
    Likes Received:
    252
    The kitten shouldn't even be in the same room as the persian yet. they should be kept apart for the first week, diff litter boxes etc

    Of course the other cat is going to hiss! Can you give her a print out of how to introduce cats??

    The thing is with feliway it takes something like a week to get in the house then another week to do anything, so she still has to wait, they might be like this for 3/6 months yet!

    If she doesnt understand this or isnt willing to work at it then Id prob take the kit back as soon as poss so it isnt to scared by what its been through.
     
  7. sequeena

    sequeena PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Messages:
    21,583
    Likes Received:
    579
    It's only a week, surely she realised settling in would take longer than that?

    if you're really worried about Oscar's welfare I would say yes take him back, but hopefully this period will pass and the cats will become best of friends :)
     
  8. Leah100

    Leah100 PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Messages:
    948
    Likes Received:
    33
    Any doubts at all, I'd have the kitten back in a shot.... It should be plain whether they are asking for advice and still want to persevere or whether they just want her gone.... if you have any idea that this is what they are considering, then the only way you will know whether the kitten has been properly re-homed to someone you would approve of is to have him back and do it yourself, otherwise he could end up anywhere :(
     
  9. Milly22

    Milly22 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3,317
    Likes Received:
    71
    I actually offered to take him back the next day when she contacted me regarding the "hissing"!

    I gave her advice and told her it will take time but offered to take him back, she emailed me saying that although they are finding it difficult they would like to persevere has Oscar as a lovely little nature.

    Then today another email saying things have took a drastic turn for the worse and it is making her and her husband unwell.

    I have emailed her again, I have also sent her a feliway spray and a print out on cats and territory and introducing new kittens and all the information I could find I have also advised her that if she feel it just isn't working I will take him back.
     
    #9 Milly22, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  10. Saikou

    Saikou PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Messages:
    2,992
    Likes Received:
    154
    I would take him back sooner rather than later. If you leave him in a stressful situation you may find you get a problem kitten back to rehome, rather than the happy go lucky one you sent out.

    I've had a kitten buyer like that before. So adamant that their cat is going to behave in a certain way, and despite everything you tell them, they are completely unprepared for any sort of disruption. They don't really understand cats at all.

    The kitten is your main priority here, and you have to do what you think is best for him.
     
    ChinaBlue likes this.
  11. Milly22

    Milly22 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3,317
    Likes Received:
    71

    Yes, I think I will give her a call.....no answer. I have emailed her stressing we need to have a chat about Oscar as I am worried about his, her and her husbands health! Hopefully she will call back.
     
    #11 Milly22, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  12. spid

    spid PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2008
    Messages:
    14,214
    Likes Received:
    380
    Have you got anywhere on this V? Sounds like you need to go round and have a chat (if it is near enough ) and educate them in to cat behaviour and depending on what you see there take him back. It always amazes me how many people don't understand basic cat pyscholgy.
     
  13. Milly22

    Milly22 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3,317
    Likes Received:
    71
    Noo! I have left 2 messages on their answering machine. 2 emails, so I will wait to hear.

    Some people can be very frustrating to deal with! I also sent a few links on "introducing cat to new kitten" links for them to read.

    If I don't hear by tomorrow I may well visit them. Is that very forward ? I wish I had made some type of contract. :cursing:
     
  14. Biawhiska

    Biawhiska PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    Messages:
    6,671
    Likes Received:
    191
    contract wouldn't have done much. i'd wait and see if they get in touch today.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice