Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nina, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

With an aggressive dog?

I was watching Judge Judy last night (yes, I'm sad :D) and one case involved a Pitt bull Terrier that has badly bitten a 10 year old girl.

Apparently, she was riding her bike and noticed someone painting a wall which drew her attention. She cycled over and asked what the guy was painting. After a short discussion she went to ride off on her bike when the dog attacked her leg. The scar was quite horrendous.

The owner did not deny the attack, but suggested that the dog was provoked when the child tried to befriend it!

My question is this. Do you think the dog should be put to sleep and if not why?

What would you do in these circumstances?

2. I'm sorry to say, but Pitt Bulls are made to fight.

It shouldn't of just attacked her like that, so yes.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I pity the pitbull and the little girl. I think the dog should have been brought up/trained properly.

I'm sure you can retrain a dog not to be vicious but I know most people opt for putting the animal to sleep.

I think I would do everything in my power to rehabilitate the dog and go from there.

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I take it the dog was not on a lead?

I do not think the dog should be PTS, but the owner should be fined for having his dog out of control.

5. Yes, but if the dog has just lashed out like that?

It just shows it's personality.

If the dog was well behaved, it wouldn't of done it. Under control or not

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

That's where training comes in.

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

With a responsible owner then the dog could live quiet happily and safely. Obviously it takes a special owner to cope with a dog that attacks unprovoked but it's certainly not impossible. My girl has bitten in the past, she has a problem with men (not surprising if you knew her history) but it's something I deal with and can manage without much trouble. You have to be extra careful, never ever trust them completely and ensure they are muzzled at all times outside of the home but with the right attention it's certainly do able.

All this depends on a responsible owner...

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I would have the dog PTS,pitts are strong powerful dogs and were never bred to attack people.That trait was never bred into them.

Going back to the old fighting days,if a dog turned on his handler it was PTS.They needed to be able to handle the dogs in the pit so did not tolerate any dog that bit.

In my opinion you never ever give any dog 100% trust,especially where children are concerned.

9. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

OMG Sally - we agree :001_tt2:

This dog WAS on a lead and the owner blamed the child for trying to pet the dog! The child disputed this, and the horrific injury to her leg was consistent with her riding away.

As I understand it, Pits were bred to fight dogs, but have a natural tenacity. The frightening thing is that this dog continues to live with the owners who have children :(

Yes its an emotive subject, but how can you ever trust a dog that has attacked without provocation and caused such horrific injuries to a little girl!

10. debbie1981

debbie1981 PetForums Senior

mmm thats a tricky one. I wouldnt have the dog PTS but i agree with other member s and think that the owner should recieve some sort of fine.

11. Nicci

Nicci Guest

That tenacity shouldn't and never was intended to be directed at human beings, otherwise I hate to say it we'd have dogfighters walking around with no arms or legs - as much as that would entertain me (dogfighters that is walking round with no arms or legs) Pit Bulls were certainly not bred with human aggression in mind, any pit that did or is guilty of biting, savaging an innocent bystander almost certainly don't deserve anyone to loose a minutes sleep over it.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I didn't see the programme or the damage the dog did, but I think any dog that attacks and badly injures another dog or a person without provocation should be either pts or rehomed, the owner at the time of the attack (if they have had the dog for any length of time) punished by fines or perhaps banning from keeping dogs. The dog if rehomed should be muzzled and leashed at all times when around other people or animals until it's proven rehabilitation - even after that I would like to see it muzzled in public. There are plenty of unwanted dogs with good temperaments that are pts. I think there should be less sentimentality over saving vicious dogs and more pragmatism. Do we want these dogs walking around, near us and our dogs? I don't.

13. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Oh Nina you can guess my answer to this, bring in cesar.pmsl sorry i couldn't resist.But joking aside he has done a lot for the pitbulls,so IF i had the choice i'd try him before i had the dog put down.
    ps. i love judge judy i think she's a very wise woman.:D:D

14. davehyde

davehyde Banned

PTS sorry but it should never attack for no reason.

even if what the owner said was tru, which i doubt, it should not attack for someone trying to befriend it.

a bad owner, an untrained or unstable dog, an innocent child.

come on no contest

15. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

surely this should have been a matter for the police or proper legal channels- not some tv program?

16. astro

astro PetForums Junior

What was Judge Judy's decision?

17. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I certainly would not consider rehoming as you are just passing the problem on, but I absolutely agree that it should be muzzled in ALL public places.

Janice, I must learn to double quote, but that case was perfect for Cesar. OMG, we are really starting something now :D

18. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

Love Judge Judy!

19. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

I personally think the owner should have a permanent ban on owning a dog if this is what happens when he has one. As for the dog.. if it was my child i would probably have wanted the dog PTS however i think the dog should be rehomed with an experienced handler

20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I should have specified that the rehoming would be to an experienced dog handler who was fully aware of what the dog had done and was committed to giving it another chance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice