Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kayz, Jun 25, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

We have recently decided that we want a Bichon Frise. But on our shortlist of breeds we like was Rough Collies.

Well there is a rough collie in the local rescue and we are interested but not sure. We don't know if we are ready now for a dog, we were planning on getting our Bichon about this time next year.

Any advice would be great!!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are you ready to take on a dog and the responsibility right now?

3. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

Why where you going to wait another year? if you could have the time to spend now then why not!

4. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I honestly don't think we are. My heart keeps saying "Of course we are ready" But my head says "Are we really ready?"

5. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

We were going to wait until the boys were a bit bigger.

6. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

If you have the time & money then its just down to you to make a decision based on your children...do you mind me asking how old they are? Some rescue places wont give dogs to familys with children under a certain age

7. Pamela

Pamela Guest

In that case I would say wait. I don't think it is something you should do if your not 100% sure.

8. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

They are 2 and 6 months. The rescue will rehome to us as there was a dog we wanted before but after meeting him we realised he was too big for our small house as he was part great dane.

9. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

I dont see a problem having one now if the dog is calm and not going to knock your little ones over...but then you are the only one who knows if you could cope with 2 young children and a new dog. Maybe you could meet the dog, she might not be right for you or she might be perfect and then the decision will be easier!

10. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

They do a week trial where you have the dog for the week and they don't provide you with anything. I might e-mail them about it and see.

11. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

Sounds like a good idea to me!

12. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

He is out on a trial at the minute but if they don't want him at the end of it they will contact me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice