Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rona, Nov 23, 2012.


  1. rona

    rona Still missing my boys

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    Messages:
    39,227
    Likes Received:
    24,717
    Hypothetical at the moment, but a strong possibility............


    If you had the feeling that there was something wrong with your elderly dog, but couldn't quite put your finger on it, and you put them into the vet with just a hunch and a few symptoms.
    Would you say to the vet if they found a tumour to PTS?
     
  2. Twiggy

    Twiggy PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Messages:
    13,467
    Likes Received:
    5,449
    Phew Rona that's a hard one.

    I suppose it would depend on what the vet discovered.

    Alfie's OK isn't he?
     
  3. Lavenderb

    Lavenderb PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,413
    Likes Received:
    395
    Surely it depends on the type of tumour, where it is, how it affects the dogs quality of life.
     
  4. rona

    rona Still missing my boys

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    Messages:
    39,227
    Likes Received:
    24,717
    No he's not :(
    Just hoping it's either he's aged suddenly or it's pain from his leg. He was fine at hydro the other day and the vet can't find anything wrong but if it goes on much longer, he'll have to go for tests

    Any tumour would only lead to suffering surely?
     
  5. mollymo

    mollymo Life is Golden

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2009
    Messages:
    3,718
    Likes Received:
    285
    It would depend on the type of tumour.

    If it was an aggresive tumour and the dog was losing a good quality of life...then yes I would have the dog PTS if there was no hope and I have had to do that for real in the past.

    If it was a treatable tumour as some are then I would look at surgery if that was possible.
     
  6. JANICE199

    JANICE199 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    31,053
    Likes Received:
    4,092
    For me it would come down to what quality of life the dog would have.
    If it could be operated on and live a good life then i'd opt for that.
    But if it meant keeping the dog alive, but it wouldn't be very happy then i'd have to opt for having it pts.:(
     
  7. rona

    rona Still missing my boys

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    Messages:
    39,227
    Likes Received:
    24,717
    What is quality of life though and what time limit is put on quality of life?

    Alfies arthritic leg is obviously giving him more pain now and that's not going to get any better :(
     
  8. JANICE199

    JANICE199 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    31,053
    Likes Received:
    4,092
    It has to be the worst position for any dog owner to be in Rona. But if it was one of my dogs and the pain was getting worse i would opt. for the pts option.
    But please don't think i've said that lightly.
     
  9. RAINYBOW

    RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    541
    Firstly sending love and hoping Alfie is ok xx

    But i just dont think Hypothetics work with this sort of thing.

    All i know is that anyone who has a bond with their animal like you do with Alfie will absolutely KNOW when that time is right and you will find the strength you will need to make the very best decision for Alfie because you love him and will always put him first xx
     
  10. mollymo

    mollymo Life is Golden

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2009
    Messages:
    3,718
    Likes Received:
    285
    I think the time limit is how sick the dog is and only you and your vet know that.

    Alfie would tell you when he has had enough and is ready to go:(

    From what you say about his walks I feel he still enjoys them and is not ready to go anywhere just yet.
     
  11. Muze

    Muze PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2011
    Messages:
    3,347
    Likes Received:
    966
    I think it's a deeply personal decision, you know Alfie's and your abilities to cope more than anyone.

    I do know of a few older dogs who've gone through bad patches, then rally again and live months/years longer.

    Just wanted to send our thoughts x
     
  12. rona

    rona Still missing my boys

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    Messages:
    39,227
    Likes Received:
    24,717
    But what if treatment were going to take months?

    I'm just panicking probably, but this has to be thought out and I just keep going round in circles.

    He's sleeping more, he has this odd occasional cough, the walks have decreased markedly over the last few weeks and he seems to be struggling some days.

    I'm loath to put him into the vet with such vague worries but if it gets much worse over the next few weeks, he'll have to go.
     
  13. mollymo

    mollymo Life is Golden

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2009
    Messages:
    3,718
    Likes Received:
    285
    Alfie is doing very well for his age and these problems will arise as you know but we all try to avoid rona.

    You have thinking time on your hands at the minute and maybe over thinking;)
     
  14. Sled dog hotel

    Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    Messages:
    39,822
    Likes Received:
    10,365
    I have been in that position with Laska, She was 14 and had slowed up a little and I had cut down the distance on her walks, she also got a little tubby round the middle
    but just put it down to same food, shorter walks. But no other signs at all. On taking her for her routine check up and blood test for her hypo thyroid on examination they found she had a liver mass. As she had good quality of life although nothing could be done, she had almost two more months of happy contented life and then suddenly went downhill, so already knowing what she had, I then made the decision then to let her go.
     
  15. new westie owner

    new westie owner PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    Messages:
    12,061
    Likes Received:
    3,507
    I think in your heart you will know :( you and Alfie have great bond you know him more than anyone and will do best by him :) hope he is okay though :)
     
  16. rona

    rona Still missing my boys

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    Messages:
    39,227
    Likes Received:
    24,717
    It's not about knowing though, if you have your dog at home and they are deteriorating, then of course you'd have more choice of time, but if he was under for tests at the vet and they gave me a choice!!!!

    I just wondered what others would do in that position?

    I've heard of several people suddenly put in this position and just wanted to sort out in my head what I would do if it happened.
     
  17. GoldenShadow

    GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Messages:
    17,493
    Likes Received:
    554
    Depending on how long he had I'd definitely consider it. I would rather mine go a month too soon than one day too late and that's all there is to it.

    It's so easily to lose perspective as time goes on. We had our 18 year old cat PTS and I am still very angry at family because I wanted her PTS before she got to the state she did, but because she was the family cat and not mine I got outnumbered.

    Since then I will make the decision before they get to that point where the bad outweighs the good. We're not happy if they're not happy, and for you to be asking this question you must be very concerned about him at this moment in time.

    I don't think doing it there and then gives you the time to make a rational decision. You can't decide now when you don't know the severity :(
     
  18. suewhite

    suewhite PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2009
    Messages:
    8,726
    Likes Received:
    2,082
    My Ben had a tumour which the vet and myself decided because of his age to not treat he had 12 good months slowed down but still enjoyed life,then one morning he seemed to say I have had enough that is when I had him put to sleep (and broke my heart)Alfie is also an old man now so dont panic to much Rona, I am going through the same with Mops she has now got a tumour but is 13 but still enjoying life as an old lady and I think I will know when she has had enough.Really hope Alfie's problems are just old age goldie dog problems.:)
     
  19. JANICE199

    JANICE199 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    31,053
    Likes Received:
    4,092
    Perhaps it would be easier for you to make your decision if you took the vet out of the equation.
    I'm not saying don't go to the vet, but think this over with the thought in mind that you, and you alone will decide if and when the time is right.
    God i hope this comes out as i mean it.:(
     
  20. PennyGSD

    PennyGSD PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2012
    Messages:
    805
    Likes Received:
    11
    I feel for you, especially as we are in a similar position with Jack.

    We've decided that no matter what, we're not going to aggressively treat anything that's found. So no intrusive testing involving stays at the vet, no anaesthetic and no drugs which are likely to make him feel ill.

    A challenge, as he has a lump on his thyroid and has now been diagnosed hyperthyroid so although there's nothing conclusive, it's 99% likely to be a tumour and also likely to have spread/will spread.

    However, it's quality of life. Outwardly Jack doesn't seem to be aware he's ill. He's slowed down a lot and is obviously stiff and creaky, but still alert, merry, eating and drinking as well as ever and just as keen to go on lots of tiny little walks as ever, although very pleased to get home to his cuddly bed nowadays and sleeps for a large part of the day.

    We're watching him like a hawk for signs of deterioration as once any bad days start to outweigh the good we'll have to let him go.

    Only you will know what to do at the time. No matter what they find, if he's still more or less OK then you don't have to make the decision right there and then. Easier to do under less emotional circumstances I'd say as you may regret anything you decide on the spot.

    It wouldn't hurt to just take a couple of days to absorb any new info and really critically assess how you feel.

    Hope you see an improvement though. These oldies do tug at the heart strings, don't they?
     
    rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice