UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to take a dog this morning. I cant take her even though i would love to help. Reason being she has been issued with a seizure notice as the dog has been deemed type. No one has come to asses the dog, she has just called me this morning and asked me to go round and look over a letter she had got. So i went round and it says that she has been reported as having an illegal dog under section 1 of the dangerous dogs act 1991 and that she has 24 hours to surrender the dog or it will be seized.

Now i really want to help her as tia is one of the most placid dogs i know but i can not justify taking this dog knowing that she has a death warrant on her head. I have contacted DDA watch and have been looking for info on the defra website.

I am now getting stick for not taking this dog. In my mind i have done the right thing. I can not afford the battle that this dog is going to face. If i could financially and emotionally do it then i would but i just cant, have i done the right thing??

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have been asked to take a dog this morning. I cant take her even though i would love to help. Reason being she has been issued with a seizure notice as the dog has been deemed type. No one has come to asses the dog, she has just called me this morning and asked me to go round and look over a letter she had got. So i went round and it says that she has been reported as having an illegal dog under section 1 of the dangerous dogs act 1991 and that she has 24 hours to surrender the dog or it will be seized.

Now i really want to help her as tia is one of the most placid dogs i know but i can not justify taking this dog knowing that she has a death warrant on her head. I have contacted DDA watch and have been looking for info on the defra website.

I am now getting stick for not taking this dog. In my mind i have done the right thing. I can not afford the battle that this dog is going to face. If i could financially and emotionally do it then i would but i just cant, have i done the right thing??
i think you have, as horrible as it is you cant possibly do anything to help her, the fact is if she is in fact a dog that is not allowed then i dont think it matters how much you battle you wont win. its a shame for the dog as you said she is lovely but the fac remains you cant do anything for her. they will take her off you too. dont beat yourself up their is nothing you can do x

G

·
its a shame for the dog as you said she is lovely but the fac remains you cant do anything for her.
theres a lot that can be done but its the owner that has to fight that , nothing to do with an innocent person who cannot do anything.
the dog could in fact get exempted , or , not deemed as type at all after checks have been made by those that have to make those decisions.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theres a lot that can be done but its the owner that has to fight that , nothing to do with an innocent person who cannot do anything.
the dog could in fact get exempted , or , not deemed as type at all after checks have been made by those that have to make those decisions.
I have given her both numbers that i have been given, one is a personal mobile number so hopefully she can get some help. What gets me is everyone that is slating me for not taking the dog hasnt offered to help her

G

·
I have given her both numbers that i have been given, one is a personal mobile number so hopefully she can get some help. What gets me is everyone that is slating me for not taking the dog hasnt offered to help her
you cant take the dog now or you could be found to be breaking the law yourself seeing as she's been issued with a seizure notice. just walk away , you have done as much as you possibly can.

·
Registered
968 Posts
why cant she sort this out herself why is she trying to get you to take the dog?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you cant take the dog now or you could be found to be breaking the law yourself seeing as she's been issued with a seizure notice.
One of the reasons i bought up with her. If i took her then i am basically hiding her from the law. She openly admits to me that she is a pitbull, no that i belive her to be a true pit she looks alot like a mastiff/bull dog cross

Attachments

G

·
she is lovely:( looks like an ambull cross to me.
i know it's awful but this isnt your problem , so dont let her make you think that or make you feel guilty , there is honestly nothing you can do:(

·
Registered
758 Posts
I dont think she wants the hassle of it, which is when i said if you dont want to fight for her then why ask me to do it for you??
You sound like you care more about the dog than this woman, I think you have done the right thing.

If I had a dog that had a seizure warrant I would try to get help everywhere, but I wouldn't get anyone else into trouble with the law. If she cared for this dog she would fight to make sure the dog was made exempt, if it is a good, placid dog there is a hope and she shouldn't give up.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Theres no definates here. Pits are not illegal as such, they do need to be registered, and in some cases can be kept under certain controls.
As I understood it the first stage is to get her assessed to see if she is 'of type'. If they deem her to be then she will be held in kennels while they assess her fully including her temperament, she may still be cleared but the owners can be charged even if they offer the dog up voluntarily, and although that can lead to fines is unlikely to lead to prison as long as they are deemed responsible dog owners (if they have the dog as a status/fighting dog then they get anything they deserve). The owner should then be offered the chance to apply to have the dog registered and this will take into account both her and the owners temperament and ability to ensure the rules of registration are kept up. The most onerous thing I think that includes is that the dog must be muzzled in public places.

There is no way you should be taking on the dog, if you did you would be open to the same criminal proceedings as the owner, if not more for harbouring it.

ETA after writing that I realised you had said she isn't bothered, christ knows, some people, she isn't that bothered to fight for it herself but she is prepared to put you at risk of prosecution instead!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just had a lady contact me out of the blue, she is an animal liaison officer, she sent me this.

Right listen to me I shouldn't be telling you this.... Do NOT sign anything if you do you will be signing her away. Your have no choice if its gone this far for the dog to be taken. What they will do is blood test the dog to see the amount of pit bull genes it has. You can then go to court to ask for a licence to keep the dog. The dog has to be assessed if it is a danger to the public. If the dog is good natured like that you will be fine they will give the owner a licence with restrictions that it is muzzled whenever it goes out. If you saw the programme last night the one show a classic case was on there. If you didn't see it watch it on the shows website. Can't help with anymore information except do not sign anything. If they do take the dog let me no I can ask in the background what's going on for you. Keep in touch if I can help further please contact me xxx

·
Registered
968 Posts
Theres no definates here. Pits are not illegal as such, they do need to be registered, and in some cases can be kept under certain controls.
As I understood it the first stage is to get her assessed to see if she is 'of type'. If they deem her to be then she will be held in kennels while they assess her fully including her temperament, she may still be cleared but the owners can be charged even if they offer the dog up voluntarily, and although that can lead to fines is unlikely to lead to prison as long as they are deemed responsible dog owners (if they have the dog as a status/fighting dog then they get anything they deserve). The owner should then be offered the chance to apply to have the dog registered and this will take into account both her and the owners temperament and ability to ensure the rules of registration are kept up. The most onerous thing I think that includes is that the dog must be muzzled in public places.

There is no way you should be taking on the dog, if you did you would be open to the same criminal proceedings as the owner, if not more for harbouring it.

ETA after writing that I realised you had said she isn't bothered, christ knows, some people, she isn't that bothered to fight for it herself but she is prepared to put you at risk of prosecution instead!
she must of know when buying this dog though, i dont understand why she would get a dog like this, then when **** hits the fan she cant be bothered! what a weird one. she must of known this was going to happen.

G

·
Right listen to me I shouldn't be telling you this.... Do NOT sign anything if you do you will be signing her away.
that is what i've read on dda watch , its best not to sign anything or your as good as signing the dogs death warrant.:(
will see if i can find it again.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I just had a lady contact me out of the blue, she is an animal liaison officer, she sent me this.

Right listen to me I shouldn't be telling you this.... Do NOT sign anything if you do you will be signing her away. Your have no choice if its gone this far for the dog to be taken. What they will do is blood test the dog to see the amount of pit bull genes it has. You can then go to court to ask for a licence to keep the dog. The dog has to be assessed if it is a danger to the public. If the dog is good natured like that you will be fine they will give the owner a licence with restrictions that it is muzzled whenever it goes out. If you saw the programme last night the one show a classic case was on there. If you didn't see it watch it on the shows website. Can't help with anymore information except do not sign anything. If they do take the dog let me no I can ask in the background what's going on for you. Keep in touch if I can help further please contact me xxx
They don't do blood tests.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.