UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I have an 8 month old Rottie pup Zeus, he is alovely affectionate dog and whilst a little boistorous at times he is doing marvelous with his training and it is nearly completely under-control.

Anyway each week I take my two children out on their bikes to a local park along with Zeus who loves to have a run and play, swim in the lake etc.

A friend of mine has a dughter the same age as mine and when chatting the other week she said she never has time to take her daughter out so I offered to take her along with me and my children enxt time we go to the park, she accepted and was very gratefull.

However I bumped into her this morning and reminded her that I was going today so would collect her daughter from school and she said to me 'that's fine but would you mind not taking the dog'

I wasn't sure what she meant so asked her about it and she said that she wants me to take the children to the park but leave Zeus at home as she dosn't like big dogs around her daughter.

I was fuming! She knows that we always take Zeus with us so why should he be left behind now that her daughter is joining us and she knows Zeus well so it isn't like it's an unknown dog.

I am tempted to ring her and say her daughter is more than welcome but I am not willing to leave Zeus behind so perhaps I should not take her. My OH thinks i'm being un-resonable and should just do what she asks.

The walk in the park is primarly for Zeus's benifit however and the children come along for the ride, why go on a bloody dog walk without the dog?

Plus it's a VERY popular area for dog walkers so there will be many other dogs there even if I leave Zeus behind.

What would you do in this situation??

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Maybe do it just this once as it is already arranged but then explain to her afterwards that you really do this as a dog walk and that's why you go, otherwise you wouldn't go - so it's either with the dog or not at all. That way you won't offend her by refusing to do what you suggested but she will get he message that you do it to exercise the dog not the children.

G

·
I would say that she either accepts that Zeus is going or her daughter misses out. You are the one doing the favour.
It's up to her!!!!!!

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I would say the offer was for her daughter to join your family on a walk.
And that the reason you do this walk is to give Zues his daily excersise.
I'd ask her what exactly she is worried about.
Explain exactly what you do on these walks - How Zues is managed and what the kids do.
I don't think you are being unreasonable.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I am tempted to tell her Zeus is coming so end off!

When I offered to take her daughter she knew that Zeus was coming as well but left it until the day we are going to say she dosn't want him there.

The sad part is that he is so interested in swimming that he stays well away for from the kids and bikes as he see's no interest in them.

Would feel bad that her daughter misses out though as the girls have been talking about it all week.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing to add actually is that Zeus never goes off lead, only on a long line as his re-call is not great yet and there is too much distraction to safely get him to return to me.

I will always have complete control of him.

It's a fair drive from my home as well and I only go once every week or so due to this, it's such a shame that he will have to miss out.

G

·
Could you get another adult to go with you, so that you have one to watch the kids and one the dog :)
Would that be acceptable to your ungrateful friend?

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Thanks I am tempted to tell her Zeus is coming so end off!

When I offered to take her daughter she knew that Zeus was coming as well but left it until the day we are going to say she dosn't want him there.

The sad part is that he is so interested in swimming that he stays well away for from the kids and bikes as he see's no interest in them.

Would feel bad that her daughter misses out though as the girls have been talking about it all week.
Maybe do it just this once as it is already arranged but then explain to her afterwards that you really do this as a dog walk and that's why you go, otherwise you wouldn't go - so it's either with the dog or not at all. That way you won't offend her by refusing to do what you suggested but she will get he message that you do it to exercise the dog not the children.
I'd do as Spid says then if the girls are all excited - but ring her today and ask exactly what she is worried about explain that Zues is off doing his own thing - and that this time you'll leave Zues behind if she is still worried, but in future he will be coming with you. Maybe she would like to come and spend some time Zues with her little girl to see how they interact and how you supervise them together.
Good idea Rona a second adult.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
To be honest you invited her daughter to join you and your family on the walk and she is asking you to leave some of your family behind, its a shame for her daughter but if she cant see past the 'dangerous dog' label then it really isnt your or Zues' problem and he shouldnt be excluded for that.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you get another adult to go with you, so that you have one to watch the kids and one the dog :)
Would that be acceptable to your ungrateful friend?
I go along with my OH so there is two adults and on top of that I meet my sister there as well, although she will be bringing her 2 Weims.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would be appalled if someone said that to me! At the end of the day your priority is your dog and making sure he gets enough exercise, like you said you are doing your friend a favour, there is no way you should compromise your dog's fun because of that! Definitely take him along, if your friend doesn't like it then her daughter doesn't have to come, end of story.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I go along with my OH so there is two adults and on top of that I meet my sister there as well, although she will be bringing her 2 Weims.
Does the friend know about meeting up with the other dogs?
If she's happy with that then I can't see a problem.
I'd explain that Zues is on lead/long line the whole time
And the fact there will be 3 supervising adults.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Would your friend expect you to contact your sister then and tell her not to bring her weims along, they are large dogs as well. Sorry its just I get this a lot too, people let their kids run up to my friends westie who has bitten on three occasions that I know of and scream if they go near Henrick who would rather die than hurt a child.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd do as Spid says then if the girls are all excited - but ring her today and ask exactly what she is worried about explain that Zues is off doing his own thing - and that this time you'll leave Zues behind if she is still worried, but in future he will be coming with you. Maybe she would like to come and spend some time Zues with her little girl to see how they interact and how you supervise them together.
Good idea Rona a second adult.
This friend comes to my home nearly every day and has met Zeus on many, many occasions. Her daughter has come round to play / have tea etc. and she has seen that Zeus has no interest in her and ignores her so she knows they are fine together.

I asked her why it's a problem and she firstly said she was worried that Zeus would chase the bike, then she thought he might bark and scare her daughter, then it was because he will be swimming and may get her daughter wet, then it was an issue with being in the car together ....

Each time I explained that Zeus is on lead, dosn't ever bark, will be swimming away from kids and towel dried afterwards, has a car harness etc. she came up with a different reason and in the end she was just saying she has a bad feeling about it and dosn't feel comfortable.

It is really annoying and upsetting, on one hand I think she has a flipping cheek and secondly she is a close friend. I have known her daughter since the day she was born and would never allow her any harm so I feel my friend should trust me when I say there will be no issue.

Zeus has been around hundreds of kids / bikes etc. on these walks and there has never been an issue.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does the friend know about meeting up with the other dogs?
If she's happy with that then I can't see a problem.
I'd explain that Zues is on lead/long line the whole time
And the fact there will be 3 supervising adults.
No she dosn't but she does know that the place we are going is primarly used by dog walkers and that there will be many there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would let her know that you, children and dog all go to the park, if she feels it's not right for her daughter, so what, it's the child's loss sadly. People can be very funny about dogs.

·
Banned
8,756 Posts
i would just tell her that Zeus was coming and its up to her if she wants to let her daughter come or not.

at the end of the day he is part of your family and its family time at the park.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.