Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What would u do?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by rebenda, Jul 26, 2009.

1. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Hey ive not posted in rodent part before but have in small animals:)

just wondering what people would do ive noticed my two elderly gerbils teeth have started falling out they also have stopped gnawing on the gnaws so the teeth they have got (1 has 2 bottom and other has 2 bottom and 1 on top) are overgrowing.

see im gunna take them to work(vets) to see if they will clip them but i dont know what they will advise if they are stopping gnawing, they are still eating but i just dont know if its their time or not, they are sleeping alot now and not as active and theyr looking old but eating and cleaning still and running are moving bedding just not as frequently as used to.

i dont know what to do its not long since my last male had to be ptsd as he had a tumor ive lost 3 this year to tumors and these two have started having teeth probs now i feel so bad on them theyr 31/2 goin on 4 and all imbreeds through college not seperating them wen they were babies.

thanks for any replies

Beckyx

2. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

if they seem happy enough i would personally leave them be (apart from getting their teeth trimmed) if getting their teeth done is too stressful then it may be best to let them go but i see no harm in trying. my policy is that unless an animal is really suffering and in a lot of pain then they should be given the chance to live. they usually let you know if they are ready to go.

3. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Get their teeth checked out by a vet and see how it goes from there. But to be completely honest, it may just be their time :( 4 years of age is extremely old for a gerbil. Not many will live to that age, it shows just how well you have cared for them :)

4. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Cheers for replying :) think i just wanted to know if it does come to having to have them pts'd then im not the only one who would decide that just find it wierd both their teeths are doing it at the same time, im worried about how stressed theyl be having teeth trimmed spesh because they mustnt be gnawing them anymore.times flown by with them my lil babies:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice