Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Would Make You Feel Welcome in a Holiday Cottage?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by apexblue, Jun 8, 2010.

1. apexblue

apexblue PetForums Junior

We would welcome your ideas as to what would make you feel welcome when renting a holiday cottage. What is your list of requirements that would make a cottage really special for your holiday? From basics to luxury treats. Thank you for your thoughts.

2. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

a semi stocked fridge of essentials... milk, butter, stuff like that.

beds that smell like they have just been washed

flowers on the table

postcard to say enjoy your stay

if its winter, and it has one, a nice roaring proper fire

does this help?

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

We recently got back from a holiday in a lodge and they had tea and cofee sachets and little milk carton things, and they had a guest book that people who stayed could write a little sentance or two in. They were lovely touches and wouldnt have cost very much.

4. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Lots of leaflets about local attractions
    Details of local walks suitable for letting dogs off lead
    Details of which beaches allow dogs (if at the coast)
    Secure garden that dogs can't get out of
    Seating comfy enough and big enough to curl up in after a long day out enjoying yourself
    A nice patio with decent furniture to sit outside
    details of nearest vet, doctor, dentist, hospital just in case (heh heh - I work on the theory that if you have the details, you never need 'em :p )

Hope this helps!

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

the fridge is a good idea.
    i personally hate those little pots of milk and sugar, gimme a pint of milk and a bag of sugar and proper tea bags lol. i always end up going out to buy them.

reading material is a must for me too. not a 10 year old readers digest.

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Oooh I would have much preferred proper tea making stuff:thumbup:.

7. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Instructions on how to use the cooker, heating, shower etc - i am hopeless with these sort of thins if it is not exactly the same as mine:eek:

8. littledigger

littledigger PetForums Member

We stayed in a lodge in the lake district a few months ago for my 40th and i could not fault it. The kitchen had every conceivable utensil you could want and was clean and modern. The living room was fully stocked with games, dvd's, books, TV, log fire, all the adapters you could imagine for just about all the gadgets you could think of, even sticked with binoculars. The bedrooms were as you would want in your own home. And, best of all, pets were welcome. This is only half of what we actually got and i fully intend to stay there again.

9. miti999

miti999 PetForums Senior

If it's pet friendly, a fully enclosed garden for jobs would be really handy. Doesn't have to be a big space.

Also, again if taking dogs, no carpets downstairs!!! Easily washed floor surfaces are a must for me.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

yes, and some throws for the furniture so the dogs can snuggle up with you on the sofa. An open fire or woodburner with a basket of logs and kindling. Last week's local paper.
    Personally I wouldn't expect to find stuff in the fridge, I would have my own coffee and stuff in the car anyway, the type I choose.

11. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

The reason we choose to go back to the same place is the owners of the house we rent.They are a hard working family but will always take the time to make you feel welcome.Not much to some but it is to us.:D

12. davehyde

davehyde Banned

what would make very welcome is a bottle of bubbly, a bed scattered with rose petals and my choice of page 3 model awaiting my every desire.

well i can dream cant i?????:thumbup:

13. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I'd love to have:

A local attraction guide
    A local dog walking guide
    Instructions for how to use microwave/oven/cooker
    Milk/Tea/Coffee/Sugar - like enough for a couple cups
    None carpetted floors for downstairs in pets allowed
    Throws for furniture (Or on website telling you to bring your own)
    Details of nearest doctor/hospital/vet
    Secure garden

14. apexblue

apexblue PetForums Junior

Thank you all so much for your helpful replies.

Would you prefer a meet & greet or be left alone arrival?

15. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I would prefer the meet & greet,it adds that personal touch.It also gives people the chance to ask about the area they are staying in.:D

16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Meet & greet definitely if you can.

Me & my OH go to the same cottage on working farm in Cornwall a couple of times a year. Not only do we love the area but the couple who run the farm are lovely, take time out to chat & tell us alot about the animals there, farming, etc - it means our stays there now are like visiting friends.

17. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Thats how it is where we stay in wales,doesn't it make you feel good?:D:D

18. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

This is the first year I will be going to a holiday chalet with Sonny so dog wise not sure what I would want. I have already been to the chalet before though so know what to expect - Sonny is not allowed on the furnature at the chalet but I am taken a throw for if he decides to jump on the bed. One of the chalets I go to in Oban always has a home made fruit loaf waiting for you on arrival - that is a really nice touch - I do not really expect anything in fridge etc unless it states so.

I think there is a happy medium when it comes to meeting and greeting. In Oban we were given the keys and told which chalet but there was instructions on everything once we were inside (along with local tourist info walks etc which is a must) and this was fine. At the one we are going to at Inverness it is the cleaner who mets you and shows you the chalet and this was good too. The worse one I went to was one at Derbyshire who I never saw the owner (or anyone at all). You had to phone to get in if the shop/reception was closed which we did and were told which chalet we were in and had again to phone when we left and did not see anyone the whole time - I did not like this at all we did not even pay for the electricity we had used !!! - we did ask on phone and were told it did not matter. It also took us about three days to descover how to work the cooker as there was no instructions in the chalet either

19. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

Then you wake up..... lol

20. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

stock the fridge with butter, milk, cheese etc.

scones or cream tea laid out

very clean house with beds clean and laid

the person who rents the cottage out to come shortly after we've arrived to have a chat about the cottage and the attractions in the area.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice