Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What were danes bred for?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicky10, May 31, 2010.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I thought it was boar hunting right? Not protection

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Both most likely. As you may have gathered they aren't Danish at all, but are more properly German Mastiffs.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I know that. Just got confused when a certain trainer said they were bred solely for protection and therefore weren't gentle giants as everyone believes :confused1:

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Don't think they do a great deal of either in modern times - hunting or protection. Though maybe the latter, but only in the sense that no burglar would be stupid enough to face a barking Dane, and no mugger would risk taking on someone walking a dog that big.

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I doubt it. I thought the reason the ears were cropped was to stop the boars tusks catching on them. I couldn't find anything about them being guard/protection dogs. But yeah no matter how much people say they're sweet and the ones I've met have all been big soppy lapdogs you would run pretty fast if you broke into a house and saw one there

6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I don't know much about Danes but I can honestly say that wolfhounds are rubbish at guarding the house. We were burgled and my last wolfie ran and tried to hide under the bed! :eek: She only managed to get her head under - the big softie! :rolleyes: :D

7. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

they were bred to hunt boar,they only serve as guard dogs as the size of them can be off putting,had them for nearly 30 yrs,i can assure you guard dogs they arent,lol they are gentle giants but can be very warey of strangers,the trainer has been misinformed,danes are not a guarding breed

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Oh how cute. My Bullmastiff would do the same! :lol:

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I've heard that a few times more likely to lick a burglar to death than be a guard dog

That's what I thought. He said that and I was just staring at the tv. It's one breed I've never met an aggressive one of they all just wanted cuddles and to lick you to death. I knew he was misinformed anyway but still.

I guess their looks would put people off alone.

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

The woman who works at our pet shop has danes. She told me they were originally a cross between a greyhound and a mastiff and were bred to hunt wild boar.

There is another woman near to us who has 3 of them 1 a enormous young male is aggressive he has to be muzzled when out in the public and if he can't bite I've heard he will grab at your legs with his dew claws. I've met him once but was on the other side of a wall and he was fine with me fussing him. I was told he's ok as long as you are fussing him he is ok but its when you turn to walk away he will get you:eek6:

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Apparently some wolfhound in there too. I can't understand how you can let such a big dog be aggressive surely that would be even worse I doubt many people could physically restrain one

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

She's only a little woman I have heard the breeder knowingly bred from an agressive bitch.

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I can't understand breeding from aggressive dogs at all sure not all temperment is inherited but it's a big part of it. Why produce more giant dogs who could be aggressive

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I don't know all the details whether it was an accident litter I don't know but I was told the bitch was aggressive and to not go near the dog if I see her walking it and to never ever let my dogs near it.

15. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Hmm, i know a BC who's just like that, thankfully he's a third of the size though! :eek:

I've also heard that Danes were bred from greyhound and mastiff types for boar hunting, but were also used for protection purely because of there size. Not met a truly aggressive one myself but there was a regular Dane customer at the kennels i used to work at who'd give you a good growl if you hung around outside his kennel. He'd let you go in with him and have a fuss and was a sweetheart outside the kennel though.

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yeah but not solely for protection as he who cannot be named seemed to think and therefore are ticking time bombs.

17. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Saw someone my hubby used to work for at a game fair today and his Dane growled at my son. :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice