Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What was your dogs temp the day before labour?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Kieranp0710, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

My lab has been at 37.2 about an hour ago but now it's back to 37.6. Her average temp this week has been 37.7c but 37.2 is the lowest it's been yet. Thanks

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Haven't got a clue. I'm sure by bitch wouldn't have wanted a thermometer stuck up her bum all the time so I didn't do it. The early signs of labour are so obvious, I saw no need.

ouesi, Rafa and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  3. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

Yeh I suppose. Thanks for the reply. Are they really that obvious tho as I have heard a lot of people say they couldn't really tell apart from the panting and temp . How was yours acting?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

She started digging a nest, panting, off her food for over 24 hours. As it was getting towards late afternoon on Friday, I took her to the vet to check everything was going OK before they closed - he said it was, but was not dilated enough yet - but the internal exam was likely to hurry things along. I went home and went down the garden to pick some veg for dinner; coming back in, the first pup was crowning (and my sofa was wet). I got her up to the whelping box upstairs and helped the first one out, the next came ten minutes later and the other 4 at intervals through the evening.

5. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

Yeh she's showing most of them signs. I managed to take her yesterday and was told everything looks good and that he thinks they will be here before Monday her due date. She has had really wierd temps tho really up and down so I'm just going to leave her to get on with it now. Ahh god I bet you wasnt happy about your sofa lol I have made her a big wooden whelping box that she loves

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Sofa has washable covers so it wasn't a problem.
    Until the due date, I wouldn't be worrying.

7. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

Oh that's good then. I'm not so much worrying it was just really confusing as to why it's been so low over past few days

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I never took temperatures either.

It cannot be pleasant for a heavily pregnant bitch to have her temperature taken several times a day.

When labour begins, watch for digging/nesting, restlessness, loss of appetite, sometimes vomiting and some bitches will try and go into secluded places.

If she's due Monday, I would stay with her at all times and wait for nature to take it's course.

Jamesgoeswalkies, Burrowzig and ouesi like this.
  9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

A drop to 99F or lower which is 37.2C should mean that the first stage of labour should begin 24 hours later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice