Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Vegan brands do you buy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kimthecat, Dec 1, 2019.

1. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Ive dabbled before but this time I'm making more effort to use Vegan food .

Im just wondering what you buy and where you buy it.

Its easy to get Alpro milk from local small shops. Im trying all the flavours . I prefer Soya to coconut. I will be trying Oats next .

Vegan dark chocolate from M and S . Delicious!

Cheese I got from Waitroses , Violife and it taste nice .

I use Linda MacCartney products and Quorn mince. I dont know how healthy these are but they taste nice.

I used to be vegetarian. I do eat chicken two or three times a week now .

My red blood count tends to be a little low so I take Ferroglobin.

LinznMilly likes this.
  2. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I'm interested in the answer to this myself after deciding to go veggie/vegan. I've always eaten meat so expect the transition will be a bit of a struggle so I'm trying to eat meatless versions of what I used to eat, and just doing it maybe 3-4 times a week to start with. I want to know what I can use to liven the meals up a bit as the meatfree I've had so far have been really bland. I'm also concerned about missing out on nutrients/vitamins.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums Senior

Anything Incand get my hands on ;)
    I do like Fry's and Linda McCartney though.
    Iceland and Tesco have a pretty decent range as well.
    I am trying to eat mostly whole foods these days and stay off the packaged, processed stuff.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Have you tried the new Galaxy chocolate vegan range: (orange, caramel & sea salt, caramelised hazelnut)? They aren't cheap at £3 a bar but they are bloody lovely & taste exactly like the usual milk chocolate ones

LinznMilly and kimthecat like this.
  5. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums Senior

I have :Happy
    Now I have a Terry's chocolate orange substitute, very dangerous.

LinznMilly, kimthecat and Cleo38 like this.
  6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I know …. I sort of wish I hadn't tried them as they are so nice I ate two bars in one day :oops::eek::D

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I am not keen on quorn, or rather my stomach isn't keen on it.

Any mince dishes I use tinned lentils as substitutes for mince. They are definitely worth having in the cupboard and so quick and easy. Make a great chilli well I think so anyway.

Curries, vast amount of recipes out there to do with just vegetables for ease, and cheapness. My son does a good potato and aubergine one. It's a bit of a cheat one as it uses curry paste, but then tastes slightly different everytime depending on the paste which is shop bought.

@Cully am not usually a fan of the meat alternatives, but Linda McCartney is definitely worth trying. The foods are usually filling and tasty. It's definitely my sons go to in taste. I did/do like the the I think the rosemary and onion sausages full of taste.
    I do get what you are saying about most alternatives are bland in the fact they don't soak up the spices, herbs like meat and veg really do its more a coating in my opinion. Don't get me started on tofu! Apparently I do everything wrong with it!

I prefer eating whole foods, but eat tiny bits of meat. Have 2 in the household who are meat eaters and one vegetarian who does like the alternatives. However we make it work and pretty much eat the same meals daily. Not meat daily, and not alternatives daily.

The bonus currently is that my son is cooking so he's using the Internet, finding recipes and happy to try them. He likes a bit of flavour too.

I will say we are used to have veggie days, and quorn as I thought when they were growing up that as well as cost saving that I did think people are vegetarians it's not a new thing so it's just acceptance.

8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Yum yum ! Didnt know they existed ! What store do you buy yours from?
    Im watching my weight at the moment and trying to eat sensibly . Im quite a chocolate addict though I will treat myself at Christmas.

@lullabydream lentils sounds good and easy .

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. lullabydream

@kimthecat I didn't buy tinned lentils for ages until @O2.0 mentioned them always bought dried but they are a complete game changer in a tin!

OH has been eating them for years with no complaints till he had to cook as I couldn't. Complained no quorn mince and I said use the lentils, you've no complained eating them in the past!

10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Can't help with brands, I don't think there is much overlap on either side of the pond, plus I don't really eat a lot of vegan substitute foods. We've tried all the vegan cheeses available and I haven't liked any of them :( They all have a weird texture to them, almost gummy? Good thing I don't miss cheese :D
    I do make 'cheese' and 'cream' sauces with garbanzo beans, potatoes, cashews, and nutritional yeast. There are tons of recipes online for vegan cheese sauce. I've made all sorts of varieties, and all turn out good.

A brand called 'earth balance' makes a good vegan butter without palm oil that I do use for pie crusts and baking. A lot of vegan substitute stuff has palm oil and that's something I really try to avoid for ethical reasons.

Lentils would be good for you if you have a low blood count. Add something with vitamin C to help absorption like tomatoes. OH doesn't like lentils and I make him smoothies with spinach and oranges, same idea, the iron in the spinach is more available with the oranges. Throw in bananas and berries and you don't even taste the spinach.

I prefer beans and lentils from scratch, but I've learned to keep canned (tinned) beans in the pantry for quick meals. It's still cheaper than meat, and so convenient. A lot of the canned beans you can now find without added salt too which is nice.

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think the vegan alternatives are useful during transition and occasionally for convenience.

Linda McCartney are my preferred brand but What The Cluck are good too.

Some Quorn products are now Vegan - the “ham” & “chicken” are handy for a sandwich. I saw “chicken pieces” in Waitrose today.

Vegan cheese isn’t great ime - Sainsbury’s Feta style was passable - but doing Weight Watchers I gave up most processed stuff as they are quite expensive calorie wise.

I use Nutritional Yeast as a cheesy ingredient.

I have trained myself to “like” tofu ;). Cut up and squeezed in kitchen roll to remove as much water as possible and stir fried in a hot pan to firm/crisp up with lots of added flavourings and veg it’s a useful protein.

I enjoy lentils and legumes and buy tinned for convenience. Chucked into any dish they bulk it up.

Iceland Vegan (and gluten free) mince pies are winning for me so far this year ;)

OH and DS will happily eat them with vegan cream :)

lullabydream and kimthecat like this.
  12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Tofu is not my favorite, but if you can get a hold of some Tempeh, that's absolutely delicious! Much better texture IMO and more taste, excellent marinaded :)

kimthecat, Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  13. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I'm thinking of making a veg stir fry this week. Any recommendations considering my usual favourite has been chicken chow mein. I need to replace the meat but keep it tasty.
    I tried the Tesco veggie quarter pounder burgers yesterday but found them very bland. And I've got some Tesco vegan cheese grills, so hope they're tastier.
    If it's all going to be tame tastewise I need to find something to give it a kick.

14. lullabydream

I don't think they are vegan, but my son loves the Linda McCartney mozzarella burger. I don't like cheese or burgers so no idea on taste! They are a staple buy. He is a big cheese eater though.

kimthecat and Cully like this.
  15. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Alpro yoghurts are nice too - they do no added sugar ones too.

We eat mainly from scratch but do buy a few brands for ease some days. We buy from ALDI mostly so don’t have access to loads of brands but ALDI vegan sausage rolls and chicken burgers are quite nice. Linda McCartney stuff is nice but not all vegan (mozzarella burgers aren’t). I really like tofu - the brand Toofoo is good and doesn’t need pressing!
    Shroomdogs are good from Sainsbury’s too.

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums Senior

Fry's "chicken" pieces are delish, tesco and Holland and barratt sell them here

kimthecat likes this.
  17. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I like Alpro yoghurts too, also Linda McCartney and Fry's. I quite like either Violife or Sainsbury cheese ranges although its a shame you cant get a vegan cheese that melts properly (no cheese on toast!:rolleyes:). Also Tofurkey is pretty decent as a meat substitute.

Cant believe that I didnt know you could get vegan Galaxy chocolate bars!:Woot Chocolate is one of those things I rarely eat anymore coz its so expensive and hard to find.

kimthecat likes this.
  18. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Vivera do vegan chicken strips which are ideal for stir fry. I think you'll find them at Tesco or Sainsburys in the chilled section. I've had their fish fingers and their schnitzels which I enjoyed.

Vivera are a dutch company and the products we get in Hungary are made in Holland and the product range is slightly different to what you get in the UK.

https://vivera.com/

kimthecat, Lurcherlad and Cully like this.
  19. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

The Green Vie vegan cheese melts! I use their "cheddar" cheese to make cheese on toast and on top of my cauliflower cheese. I prefer Green Vie to Violife which I find absolutely tasteless! You might have to order it online though.

http://www.greenviefoods.com/

Vegan Cheddar flavour in block

AVAILABLE IN PACKAGES OF 250 GR (BLOCK)

Let it melt on top of Veggie burgers, enjoy your mac&cheese and let your taste buds be spoilt by its dairy-free melty uniqueness.

kimthecat likes this.
  20. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Anywhere that the fruit and veg are freshest or British ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice