Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What veg and fruit can i give my bunny?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Acacia86, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi all, i have got a beautiful rabbit (my first since i was 17!) he is really my 3 year little girls! (but sooo mine lol!) he is called charlie and he is a dwarf lop. He is fed supa excel junior/dwarf pellets cv the moment. Obviously with plenty hay and grass. I give him fresh veg Everyday too. But my daughter fed him 2 strawberries and 3 cherry tomatoes! I took them away from him before he ate too much of them. But i wondered if they were safe? He did really love them. I never fed my bun's that when i had them. They had grass, hay, greens, cabbage, carrot, lettuce (in small doses!) etc. I really want to know the best diet for a rabbit. I give all my other pets the best so i want to do the same for my bunny, he's my new son lol! Xx

2. xkeeleyx

xkeeleyx PetForums Junior

hi, i think your bunny would be safe with them, they can also eat apple banana, parsley, ive been told to avoid lettuce though! carrots are good, orange, broccoli. cant think off top of my head now! but rabbits can eat most fruit and veg in small quantities so not to upset their tummy. i got a list off the internet, typing in 'what to feed a rabbit'.. hope this helped a little x good luck with your rabbit x

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

This thread lists most things http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/39071-food-list.html

Introduce fresh food slowly, and one at a time. Then if he gets the runs, you will know which food he cant tolerate.

I tend to stick to green leafy veg like kale, spring greens, and herbs like parsley. Mine LOVE curly parsley. I grow this myself. I also grow kale, as like all cabbage species, it grows like mad.

Dont feed starchy veg like carrots too often, as they are fattening for a bun.

I also grow barley straights/grass. In this weather its ready within a week, and grows back a few times. You can get the seeds from eBay, and i just grow it in cheap seed trays.

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thank you! Really appreciate that! I have introduced each food carefully. And when lexie gave him the strawberries and tomatoes he was absolutely fine. But i never knew they could actually eat all that! Brilliant! I have most in my weekly shopping list anyway! For my daughter me and other pets. Is supa excel a good complementry food or is there a better one? X

5. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

How do you grow kale? mine love it but its quite expensive with 4 buns, 2 guineas and 6 hens who love it, not forgettting the rats.

off to buy seeds on e bay......i really shouldnt be encouraged to go on e bay though lol

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Excel is a good one. Its got a fairly good fibre level, and prevents selective feeding. The most important feed is the hay, so always get a good quality one, and try to make sure its long strand and not chopped.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I grow it from seeds, but i dont have an endless supply as they get through it in no time

I agree its pricey. I get the bags of chopped stuff. Tescos is the best for price i think. If i get it from my local co-op its always started to ferment, and stinks. That goes in the bin.

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thank you very much. My boy can now have a more varied diet! I was apprehensive to try too many things as i didn't know what was good or not! I will keep him on the excel as he does like it. He always has an endless supply of hay. I get it from the pet shop but its straight from the farmers field. So its a good one. I also give him grass. I'm actually introducing it to him because he is in an indoor cage overnight and when i'm not here. But he will be going outside soon with a 2 story hutch and massive run, but i know too much grass in one go can give him the runs if he is not introduced to it. Is this right? My bunnies when i had them were out most of the day and went in at night. But charlie is my first rabbit that has started life indoors! Xx

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes, too much grass can cause a runny tum. Something you really need to avoid in this weather.
    If you have a patio, this would be best until he tolerant of fresh foods, as you can monitor more closely what he's eating.

Mu buns now eat copious of fresh food, and never have the runs, but its a gradual process.

Do you know all about the vaccinations and neutering?

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Over here the main vaccination is mxymotosis (excuse my spelling, i'm on the phone!) due to thousands of wild rabbits! And he is getting neutered soon. Simply because he is a pet and its nicer for him not to have so much testosterone! Lol! He is being introduced very gradually to all things fresh especially grass. I have been slowly Upping it every couple of days to get him used to it before he goes out. But i do have a patio and decking area. Is this the best option?? Xx

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Whilst he is a youngster id say yes. If its possible you can do half patio, half grass, and see how he goes.

There is also the VHD vaccination. Although my vets say this isnt needed, i still have it done, as there is no recovery with this disease.

Neutering will help with temperament, spraying and inappropriate sexual urges. Plus you can always think about rescuing him a nice little doe when hes had the snip ;)

You sound like you have got everything spot on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice