Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what vaccinations my cats will need?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Coccinellidae, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Coccinellidae

Coccinellidae PetForums Junior

HI every body

My cat will arrive soon from Europe.

Can any one please tell me what kind of vaccination Should I do?

Any think specific for breeders?

Thanks

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Surely to be imported into this country then the cat will have to be fully vaccinated, inc rabies and treated for fleas and ticks. I wouldn't have though there would be anything left for you to do.

3. Coccinellidae

hi Saikou,

Thank you for you replay.

And What about the Cat flu? FIV (Feline Aids) and FeLV (Feline Leukaemia) ?

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

As Saikou said - ALL the vacs will need to be done BEFORE she is allowed into the country - I beleive DEFRA are really strict about this, quite rightly too. You kittne needs to be a certain age, have all it's jabs, have a pet passport etc to even get over the border without being put immediately into quarantine for 6 months. Depending on the country she is coming from as well she may need extra jabs. I suggest you go to the DEFRA website and look it up.

EDIT - try this link http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/factsheet3-081016.htm.pdf - I think you will find you cat will need to be at least 6 months before it can travel due to rabies blood tests etc.

#4 spid, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  5. Coccinellidae

HI,

She is coming from Holland and meet all Defra require.

The problem is not to bring her to UK. I just was wondering if there is any other vaccination you would recommend me.

Cos I saw that if I would like to take her to stud, the Stud owners require FIV (Feline Aids) and FeLV (Feline Leukaemia) tests.

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

As far as I am aware there is no vaccine for FIV. You would have to check with the breeder as to whether she has been done for FeLV, but I would imagine that she has.

7. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

They are at least 10 months before they can come into the UK via Pet Passport, due to the rabies requirements. Rabies vaccination (can't be done before 12 wks or so) has to be followed by a blood test at least 3 wks later, for antibody levels - then the 6 months "quarantine" starts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice