Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what type

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by nikkiharri, Apr 4, 2013.

1. nikkiharri

nikkiharri PetForums Newbie

hiya my friend is thinking about adding a turtle to his family (this will be the start of a long road of reserch). why looking for him as he has no internet at the mo i came across this starter cage and was wondering what sort of turtle it holds, as i said before hes just starting about so would also like as much info as you can give him, thanks

the link.
    TURTLE OR OTHER AMPHIBIAN TANK (Great Value & Easy To Look After) | eBay

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

No offense but that looks like complete crap. It looks like a hamster cage with water in it? where is the heater/filter/light unit? definitely not something I would contemplate using with turtles; they would not survive for long in such a set up.

We keep/sell common musk turtles where I work and they are one of the smaller species of turtle (up to 5" or so in shell size max) and don't require a huge space unlike some other species. You need at least a 2ft/60ltr tank for one turtle but 3ft would be best especially if you are keeping a pair. They do need excellent filtration as they are messy little buggers when mature; an external filter would be best but if not, a very good internal one would suffice if you maintain and clean it regularly. They do need UV lighting but only a low level one (2%). Some say they need a basking spot but personally we don't; tried it in the past and they never used. 25% water changes done weekly. Water temp roughly between 75-80f.

Turtles live a long time and are a big commitment. They are also more challenging in upkeep than fish due to the mess they create, so I hope your friend thinks about it long and hard.

3. Nagini

Nagini Guest

i have giant african land snails in something very similar to those , just mine are larger - that's all they are suitable for really , they not even a great amphibian set up.

4. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

I myself wouldn't recommend it as you would need a basking lamp which woul prove difficult with that enclosure and I also wouldn't advice a plastic enclosure when using it. It would probably be a lot better to buy a big tank and then add the customisation of land themselves. With a enclosure that size it probably wouldn't last to long before a bigger size is require so its a lot more better not just for the turtle but on the owners pocket if they go for a greater size enclosure to start with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice