Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what type ?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by andrea84, Oct 23, 2012.

1. andrea84

andrea84 PetForums Senior

hi all
    im thinking of getting smokey a teddy or something to snuggle up to now its getting cold. is it safe just to give him any type of teddy or do i need to look for one thats suitible for animals like a dog toy ?? :confused: any other idea for something for him to cuddle up to would be very much appreciated :)

2. LittlePaws AnimalRescue

LittlePaws AnimalRescue PetForums Senior

The only thing a rabbit really wants to snuggle up to is another rabbit :)

3. MLB

MLB Guest

I have to agree with littlepaws. If your bunny does not have a bunny friend he would very much appreciate one. Bunnies are usually very unhappy without company of their own kind.

4. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

My George has a child safe teddy (no eyes or nose they can chew off). Check if the label says suitable for babies and it will be ok.

I do agree with the others though a teddy isn't a substitute for a bunny friend.

5. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

As the others have said, a teddy without buttons etc would be best, we don't want him choking! You can also get ones that can be warmed up in the microwave, which would be good for those cold winter nights.

If possible, though, another rabbit would be fantastic! Rescue centres have lots of different bunnies with varying temperaments, so there should always be some to suit Smokey and many will assist with bonding. Always worth a try, if you can afford another :)

6. andrea84

i know he needs a friend, but at the minute it would be irressposible of me to take on another bunny at the presant time,but as soon as i can he will have a friend :) just not at the min ( until i know my OH job is safe and we can afford another) this yr so far smokey and my dog have cost me quite a bit in vet bills .
    so im going to give him a substitute until i know whats what

7. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Some of our buns just love a supersoft fleecy type blanket to snuggle into, lay on and groom! Not the regular fleecy blanket, but the plush ones like dressing gown material. They wash up really well too. You get big ones at the range, or you can get them at QD - boot sales, supermarkets too. Fold one over and over, and it is lovely and cosy.

One of our "no longer with us" bunnies was bonded to my slippers before she got two friends. She used to snuggle between them! Then when she got her friends, she always used to wiggle in between them.

one of our bunnies loves a pair of PJ trousers to lay on and scrabble. weird I know.

So you could get a cuddly toy with no detachable bits - but watch out for chewing, as the stuffing would be unsafe to ingest. Or you just could give Smokey something soft of yours that you can spare1 (no buttons or anything though)

8. andrea84

thank you for the advice :) i will have a hunt round to see what i have

9. Minion

Minion PetForums Member

My Minion has Storm but sometimes he just prefers my teddies. He has his own child friendly elephant which he won't let Storm near (he's currently blissfully unaware that it has disappeared into a safe place, ready for repair, as she put a hole in it).

He likes to get in my bedroom and climb among the mountain of soft toys but I have to watch him as although he doesn't bite them, they aren't all rabbit safe. I do have one polar bear teddy that will never be the same again though, due to a pre-neutering incident :eek: .

Someone recommended the heat up bears. I personally don't, only because I have one and it stinks. It's the yeast bag inside that you stick in the microwave and after about 2 uses it is just horrid.

I also don't recommend brightly coloured ones. Minion has a true hatred for Ernie (from the Muppets). He freaks out and attacks it every time he sees it.

Blending in...
    IMG_0154.jpg

10. andrea84

aww that is so cute , thank you for the info, i wonder makes the heat up ones smell?? im off into the loft later to have a rumage with 4 kids i am going to have a suitible one up there somewhere :rolleyes:

11. Hel_79

Hel_79 PetForums Senior

Buddy has one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe...HCTE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1351174103&sr=8-6

The plus side is that I can slip a heat pad into it when it gets colder. He's not hugely attached to it but will give it a groom and scuffle every so often. He'll snuggle up next to it more when he wants the heat more than anything. Only downside is that it's quite big! Although I think there might be a cat version, which is a little smaller.

It's great that you're thinking about this. You're clearly aware about the benefits of bonding but just as important are all the other factors to consider such as space, money, time etc. when taking on a second animal. Hope Pepper gets a teddy to snuggle soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice