Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What type of shampoo can be used regularly?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, May 16, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Usually, after our sunday walk, Ollie's gone in the lake and is really stinky. I need to wash him after this walk, usually just the legs and underneath but if he rolled in the water, he needs to be fully washed. What type of shampoo can be used this regularly? Is puppy shampoo our best option?

2. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

You could try Plush Puppy shampoos, just google them and their website will come up. They're a bit more expensive but we use them all the time to bath before the shows and we never have any problems lol :). xx

3. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo for my boys.

4. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I have to wash Baggio's maps around his nether regions very often because he sometimes wees on them when he cocks his leg. I use Tesco tea tree oil shampoo, but greatly diluted - I put about 50ml in a 500ml bottle and top it up with water. This keeps him clean and smelling nice, but doesn't dry out the natural oils in his maps.

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I use Virbac Allercalm hypoallergenic shampoo. I normally bathe Bella every 2-3 weeks, but when she is itchy (especially this season), I bath her weekly and this really settles her itchiness.
    It can be used as frequently as 2x a week.
    I must also say that everyone comments on how soft Bella's coat is, and it's the shamppo that does this, as she is never so soft when I have used another shampoo.
    It is expensive, but very well worth it!

6. EmsBuddy

EmsBuddy PetForums Member

Hi nellybelly, can i ask where you got your shampoo from?
    Buddy is itching all the time at the min, he has a number of little flakes in his coat, so maybe i can give this shampoo a go and see if it calms him a bit x

7. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

A friend of mine got this to you on his shar-pei's
    Quistel - Dog Grooming

Supposed to be really good !!
    Its a wee bit cheaper on amazon as well !!!! :001_cool:

8. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

What's up with panten shampoo and conditioner?

JUST KIDDING

Penny is forever jumping in the pond and has had so many baths she's worse than a teenager so I use jonson baby shampoo and it does great for her.
    Clare xx

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Ok thanks for your recommendations.:)

10. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We use puppy shampoo from P@H. She gets bathed once every week or 2.

11. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

My friend uses this shampoo on her dog who has dandruft and it has worked wonders, so I think it would be worth trying. We get it from our vet here in Cyprus. I don't know if vets in the UK sell it, but I know here in Cyprus you can't get it at pet shops, only vets. You could order it online if you can't find it there.

12. EmsBuddy

EmsBuddy PetForums Member

Thank you, i'll try and find it online if not we can get when we come visit Cyprus in the next few months!! x

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

What's up with panten shampoo and conditioner?

That's what I use - half Pantene 2 in 1 and half Dettol mixed.

14. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Wow I didn't realise you could use it....I posted it as a joke but I wish I'd known when I had to put up with 2 smelly dogs after the beach last time I ran out lol....would have made it so much easier not to mention more comfortable for the girls.
    xx

15. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I use baby shampoo, it is cheaper and very mild so won't irritate the skin to be used often.

I only use it if they are really stinky!! If its just a muddy patch I use baby wipes!! xxxxxxx

16. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

I've been quite happy with Buddy Wash products. http://www.cloudstar.com//5DD044CB6...+Items&pc_id=762C619E52654E148A7CA975DA092BD7 We use the shampoo and the conditioner. They are sulfate-free and don't dry the coat and skin the way many other shampoos do.

Also, sometimes it's possible to just thoroughly rinse a dog whose gone into the lake, apply some conditioner and he is stink-free again! So that's something to consider if you are concerned about over-bathing.

I also keep baby wipes on hand for the odd time that my dog rolls in something between baths.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice