Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what treats to use

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sam1309, May 18, 2010.

1. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

hello all

i'm currently feeding my pup JWB with some yucky winalot, which he'll be weaned off when its running out. it's what the breeder had him on.

i am debating moving him on to wainwrights what the 6kg of JWB runs out. do you think this is a good move, read a few posts on here (ok ok 8 pages )

but my main concern after the food wake up i had, i know winalot was crap but didn't realise just how bad, what treats do i use. he's currently on mini marrowbones from pets at home. we also have got him mini rawhide bones for when he is old and teething as well as bonio's

are these suitable or would he be better on wainwrights treats??

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,welcom from me.congrats on your pup,what type of dog is pup?
    i would leave the raw hide chews till much older,if at all,there is many a tale of getting these stuck and not being chewed properly etc.
    Things like raw butchers marrow bones,raw carrot,dried fish bits etc will be just fine.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Do you mean small training treats or long lasting chew treats to keep him busy?

Small training treats - the smaller the better - I use pieces of cheese, carrot, liver cake, cut up cocktail sausages, small pieces of ham or chicken or shop bought treats.

Long lasting chews - stuffed and frozen Kongs, the occaisional pigs ear (they are a bit fatty so can upset a puppies tummy) and venison ears and once they were over 6 months I introduced the occasional raw bone.

4. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

jwb aint as good as it used to be, was bought out by royal canin and they've changed the meat sources. i would be tempted to change to either barking heads, fish 4 dogs, arden grange or burns. the waingrights still contains ec additves.
    treats wise get the natural hide chews not the ones that are dyed or flavoured, roast knuckle bones are great, pigs ears, paddywack, anything natural chew wise, stuffed kongs are great too. burns do a load of vension treats like tongues, ears, heart etc.
    also i give mine raw chicken wings, he gets 1 every night to clean his teeth, their brilliant

5. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Fish4dogs treats are awsum!!! Kira loves the little stars ones (perfect for clicker training) and the tiddlers stink but they are defiantely a favorite! lol

Also, coachies are good, ingredients in them are brilliant, and they're perfect for clicker training or a treat ball :thumbup:

I also use high quality cat biscuits, cooked chicken, chunks of heart and kidney as high value ones for things like recall, ummm... cheese is a favourite aswell lol

6. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

If the gross factor doesn't bother you we had great success on occassion using raw beef mince as a training treat. Soft, small, quick to eat, and SOOO high value. Does require an effort to plastic line your pockets though!

Fleur likes this.
  7. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

much easier to plastic line a treat bag that clips to your belt on your jeans! lol i know.... i use raw liver....yukky stuff but damn sure gets the dogs attention!!! hehe

8. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

And remember not to bite your nails!!! lol

I done it once with raw heart :cryin: :thumbdown:

9. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

For training you can't beat good ole liver cake!!

I make a large tray up and then when cool frreze into little bags ready for training.

Just make sure you cook it on a nice day though and have your windows open....phew the smell of liver and garlic cooking yuk. Dogs love it though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice