Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to put in a treat ball?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by catloveralicia, May 12, 2010.

1. catloveralicia

catloveralicia PetForums Member

My cat Pebbles is food obsessed and gets bored easily, so my friend told me about cat treat balls which you fill with food and the cat has to roll it around to get the food out. It sounds like a good idea for Pebbles so I was going to get one but I can't put dry cat food in it because it makes him constipated and the vet said to soak it in water before giving it to him but he won't eat it. I thought of putting chicken/ham in the treat ball but I want to give him this treat ball every day when I'm at school so I thought it would be unhealthy to give him chicken/ham every day? What can I put in his treat ball?

2. Tje

Tje Banned

if you look on websites like zooplus there are an awful lot of cat treats available.. like sweets really... but nowadays more and more of them are healthy options. Like strips of dried pure meat... that kind of thing. Or just cheese flavoured cat sweets, or the malt cat sweets, or whiskas cat treats... there are literally tons of these things nowadays.. though do watch what size you buy as the treats can't be bigger than the holes in the snack ball.

3. catloveralicia

Ok thank you, I was thinking of those but do you think they would make him constipated like the dried food? If not I can get some of the whiskas treats tommorow from tesco

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Personally, I would head to a pets@home or pet shop to see whether they have some treats made from real meat or fish.

Whiskas treats contains a lot of sugars, carbs etc if I am not completely mistaken.

5. Tje

Tje Banned

well i have never had a cat constipated due to a few whiskas sweets every day in their treat ball. Check the packaging about recommended daily amounts and take it from there... maybe start with well under what they say you can give, and if that goes ok, take it from there and give one extra treat every day.

Have you ever heard of pysillium husk for chronic constipation? It's a natural remedy and I had a lot of success with it in the past. Might be worth trying some of that. (to help his poop troubles... not in his treat ball ;), lol).

6. Tje

Tje Banned

I was just looking through my cat treat box (yes I have a box full of this stuff, lol) and I have two that claim to actually add digestion... one is Gimpet Malt Kisses, they look like little kissy lips... and the other is from Grau (grau miezelinos chicken treats) and the packaging is written in German so not sure what it does exactly, but it does say good for the stomach and aids digestion. Maybe they would be good for your kitty??

7. catloveralicia

Thank you, I can try these with Pebbles, are they sold in pet shops?

8. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I use a (shock horror) bob martin treat... its one of the few things i do use of theirs lol!

Dried duck strips! Tiny tiny little strips of pure dried duck meat! Cats and dogs go nuts for them!

They also do small chunks of dried tuna

perhaps worth giving them a shot.... i buy mine in asda!

9. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

natures menu do really nice treats. They are in P@H.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice