Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to give my boy to help him gain a bit of weight??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Apollo2012, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

I did start a thread the other day about switching completely to raw but im going to leave it until we move to somewhere bigger (hopefully sometime next year). now im trying to find a way to help Apollo gain some condition, he is naturally a skinny dog but with winter coming up he tends to lose quite a bit of condition as he wont eat as much, he currently eats one meal a day 200g of James wellbeloved turkey and rice with 200g of raw mince mixed in and he's been keeping good condition but we've started upping his exercise again as the tourists have gone home and people gone back to work and school, so he's being walked 20 mins (park across the road) in the morning, 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the afternoon (on the common/local field and beach) and 45 mins (fetch and running) on the beach in the evening. he only had the long walk once a week during the summer, now he's having it at least 5 days a week.

In just 2 weeks of more exercise he's lost some condition as he wont eat more than he already does and he wont let me split his meals either he will just ignore any food put down during the day. so I was looking for ways to keep his weight up or even help him gain a little ready for winter (he looked super skinny last year and ended up wearing a coat everywhere).

Would giving him puppy food help at all so I could feed him the same amount of dry but obviously its higher protein and things???

2. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Try adding some green tripe, this helps tremendously with working dogs and you are already thinking of changing to a raw diet at a later date. It is an easy food to introduce and I have never had an upset tummy with it !

Good luck.

3. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Thanks where can I find green tripe??

4. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

Food......................................................

5. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Would be a funny answer if I hadnt spent my the last year and half getting him to eat a decent amount. With a fussy dog who is already a lean dog normally its very hard to keep weight on him especially in the colder weather. I was asked multiple times last winter if I actually feed him and dont particularly want that again

6. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

How about adding a good quality wet food such as NatureDiet?

7. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I feed 3 totally different dog breeds tripe and mixed biscuits. Bullmastiff, saluki x and dakkie. It doesn't hype them up, its reasonably cheap to feed and you can get it from pet shops in the freezer section, or if you have room and it works out ok, plenty places deliver it.

They all have glossy coats, they never leave any and if anything I have to watch how much they eat cos it tends to put weight on fast if you are not careful.

My daughter has a collie that was hard to keep weight when she was younger.she is now 8. Her collie eats the tripe and biscuits too.

8. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

9. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

He has raw mince with his dry food. He wont eat wet dog food of any type ive tried it all thats why I thought maybe try puppy dry food instead with the raw mince, he eats his food now, so changing the taste of what I feed him wont help (it taken me over a year to get to the point where he's actually excited to eat his food). he just wont eat anymore than his normal amount he has in the evening and I can get jwb puppy in the same flavour as the adult jwb he has already.

10. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Thank you I will pick up some tripe to try with him when im up there next week. Those satin balls sound interesting too I will have proper look when im on my computer instead of my phone

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Bailey dropped a lot of weight after we lost my mum. He loves his food and was still eating the same amount but it was dropping off to the point his ribs stuck out. Vet said it was stress and pining.

I used fatty meats (he's raw fed), duck, lamb, tripe for a few months and added robbies meat free filler to one of his meals a day (I know a lot don't like rice and Novak can't have it but Bailey has no issues with it).

By the time the bag of robbies was finished he was back to his normal weight. So I just keep an eye on him now and if I think he's dropping again I'll order more robbies.

Good luck. I know it can be a worry when they're under/over weight.

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Try lactol (puppy milk) with a raw egg and a spoonful of manuka honey beaten through - very nutritious, lots of extra calories without overloading the stomach, highly palatable and easy to digest. Can be given as a ''supper'' as well as his usual meals.

13. clayton1985

clayton1985 PetForums VIP

i was just about to say lactol, my mum used it on some of her dogs after bouts of illness to gain weight back. boiled potatoes with garlic or chilli aswell, this was used more of a treat though as it can be quite filling. on a serious note if your dog does lose alot of weight an refuses to eat, then personally id give it anything that took its interest, there is a massive difference between a fussy dog an a dog thats just not interested in eating, my mum lost a samoyed because he refused to eat anything. good luck

14. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

When I need to fatten Bess up for a show - dumplings! Or mixing a little Atora into her meat. She loves the taste! :rolleyes:

#14 BessieDog, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Very much recommend sixstar's recipe; it worked an absolute treat to get Kilo's weight back on after he had had meningitis.

16. shinra

shinra PetForums Member

Going to try this also! desp need some weight on my boy.

17. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

where can I get manuka honey, I found some online but there are god knows how many different types??

18. SixStar

SixStar Banned

The larger supermarkets sell it, as well as health food stores. There is a grading system - the higher the '+' number, the better the quality. I tend to use 10+ which is middle of the range really, and fine for the dogs.

19. ToveLC

ToveLC PetForums Newbie

I know just what you are saying.. I too have a skinny dog and have tried everything to help him gain weight. He won't eat any more than he wants. I do feed him a puppy food for his breakfast and a raw chicken drumstick with his supper. Even the vet said that he needed to gain a couple of kilos. It's really hard when you have a dog that just doesn't eat.
    I hope you manage to put weight on him. I just thought you would like to know you are not alone with this problem.
    Linda xx

20. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

I have been feeding my ribby flatcoat on green tripe for the past 6 weeks and no sign of weight gain. I have now bought some Lactol and will see if that helps. I am also going to start feeding fattier meats such as duck and lamb once my raw feeding regime is more firmly established. He would eat loads of food if I let him but with his sensitive digestion he just poops more out :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice