Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what to get ??

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ....zoe...., Aug 1, 2009.

1. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

hi all,

i was wondering if some people can give me some advice and what would be a good new rodent for me to purchase ?

i would like something different from the usually hamsters ect for example (dwarf dormouse, harvest mouse, kangaroo rat ect)

i would like it to have similar housing to hamsters and not really bothered on the price (as long as not too expensive)

any advice would be grateful

thanks all
    zoe

2. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

I don't think I have seen any of the rodents you listed up for sale. If you want something in a hamster sort of cage then the only thing I can recommend is mice.

Theyre easy to keep and usually pretty tame if you handle them properly.

I myself keep rats, but they need a much larger cage then you would have for a hamster. Rats are very rewarding pets as mostly they like to be petted and cuddled and will happily ride around on your shoulder. It depends what you are looking for in a pet really. Do you want something that you can watch, play with?

3. ....zoe....

i work in a pet sop and could get hold of pretty much anything (including the ones ive listed)

ive always wanted rats but dont have the room for as big a cage they need and my parents think the smell so they wont let me, but when i have my own home i WILL be getting some. we have them in work and i usually have them out on my shoulder most of the day while i carry out my jobs

they are great little animals, just wish i couold have some :(

i would like something for both aspects (to watch and play with) as i dont want something thats just stuck in a cage all its life and i cant do anything with it, and also i would need to be able to handle it to make sure its healthy and so on

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Jerds there a bit different...

5. ....zoe....

jerds as in gerbils or jerboas ???
    could you inhance on them as in housing, feeding, pairs/singles ?? , ability to handle ?

6. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Jirds are basicaly large gerbils. They need to be housed in tanks in pairs or trios and you can handle them like you would a hamster/gerbil etc :)

7. ....zoe....

any other ideas of people ???

8. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

How about a Degu?

9. Jamesy14

Jamesy14 PetForums Member

Gerbils Its what im getting :)

10. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I'll second that :D

11. ....zoe....

degus need quite a large enclosure and specifically all metal as they are big chewers. would love some but at the moment i just havent got the room :(

one of the main reasons why iam asking this question is because in the future me and my parents are hoping to convert our garage into a room where i can keep my animals and breed them without causing stress to them from the noise in my house half the time. and i would like some different species of small animals.

i have started to breed hamsters as i work in a pet shop and we have previously had some very bad experience with the wholesalers that we get our animals from and we need animals that we are positive the ages of and know that they are healthy and breed to the best quality possible.

it would surprise me if there are a few people on here that dont agree with this but its a better way than having animals into our shop that are pregnant, ill, interbreed, unknown ages and are unable to be handled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice