Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to feed/ what not to feed?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Horse and Hound, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Help! I am so confused!

Rupert is my first dog. (ask me about feeding horses, I can help, but puppies, NO CHANCE)

I'm getting so much conflicting advice.

1) Meat is bad for them, it rots their teeth. He should be on buiscuits.
    2) Feed him only puppy food.
    3) Cook all meat before I give it to him.

I'd ideally like to feed him a mixture of things from the butchers. Beef, chicken, liver, rabbit but what can or can't I give him. Do I have to cook it first?

I'm finding all the advice really confusing so I'd like some help please, if anyone can.

He's 12 weeks old now, jack russell x westie terrier.

2. LucyJ

LucyJ PetForums Member

Raw food is great for dogs, to make sure he gets a balanced diet go to the Brit Barf site.

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:lol: It's a minefield out there!!

This is what I feed my dogs, might suit your dog, might not but seeing as mine are all fit, healthy, (some slightly) podgy, and certainly enjoy their meals I'm sticking to it!! :lol:

They have raw meat, all either free from my butcher, big bags of chicken wings from Iceland or frozen minced meat from Anglian Meat Products. If they are having wings or meat chunks they eat that on it's own or if minced meat I mix it with a half a cup (depending on the dog and the pup get a full cup...little one gets 1/4 cup and the 3 others get 1/2 cup) of complete food, I buy whatever is on offer at the feed store or just their own cheap as chips working dog food £5.99 a bag because it's purely for the crunch as they get all they need from the meat. I also 3 meals a week will add some pasta, rice or pototo's into the meals..just for a change!

I make sure they get a combination of bones, chicken wings, offal, heart and liver and once a week they get a raw egg (some eat the shell's others prefer me to crack it for them!!:rolleyes:). I've yet to find anything they don't like, mine eat rabbits whole (in the garden I add..no way in the house!!), they also like pheasant and pretty much anything raw and dead (sometimes not even quiet dead!!:scared:). Only thing is definately definately no cooked bones. :thumbup:

4. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

ahhhhhh welcome to the terrifing world of chooseing a dog food, it has taken me 6 weeks to settle on one i am happy with

i would suggest either a dry biscuit or a raw diet- my vert advised against raw untill my pup is fully grow.

also been advised to put him on adult food.

there is a wide range out there, i ordered free samples and let the dog choose his own

he choses CSJ which is the one i was hoping he would choose as the company is a utter pleasure to deal with

i ordered samples of

skinners
    arden grange
    burns
    CSJ
    pets at home
    james welbeloved

the choice is up to your and your dog, good luck

5. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

just seen you sig.

dog
    horse
    OH

nice order way to go! and god description of your OH.

some horsey shops sell dog food as well, i used to be able to feed the horses and dogs from the one yard, was great

6. Horse and Hound

My vet advised against raw full stop, but reading this: Raw Feeding FAQ

it advocates feeding pups raw?

He loves the pets at home kibble. He likes to pick at it but at the moment he gets tinned butchers puppy mix or some of the frozen raw food you get from pets at home. I'm trying to do the best for him.

I have some chicken drumsticks in the freezer that I was thinking of defrosting and giving him one. Is that too big a chicken bone for him? And do I take the skin off it first?

ARRRRGH!!!!!!

***Edit*** Sam, strictly speaking the Horse should be first as I've had him for the longest! But the pup demands more attention!! Got the feeding of the horse down to a T!

7. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

horses are easy to feed once you know how, and so are dogs.

as i said i have my baby on CSJ check out their webpage and email them they will answer any questions

i had looked seriously into raw infact my heart was set on it, but after hearing that it can lead to broken teeth in puppies and according to KC not a balanced diet for a pup i decided against it, think of it as Feeding a racing Tb on hayleigh alone

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Don't get me started on my horse!!!!!!! :lol: Took me months to find a diet to suit him after he got Salmonella and lost a huge amount of weight!! Allen & Page are my hero's, I won't feed anything else now cos I swear those feeds saved his life!!

Anyway back to the point, alot of vets do not recommend raw...but then again they have their own foods they like to 'recommend' so I'd take that with a pinch of salt!! Raw doesn't suit everyone and it's not an easy option but it's worth a go.

IF I had to feed complete totally again then I'd definatley go for CSJ it's one of the better one's that don't seem to think they have to charge £40 a bag!!!:rolleyes:

9. Horse and Hound

Thanks to everyone on the advice.

I think I might try a mixture. He's LOVING his Pets at Home mix at the moment.

Just a question, if I do decide to feed him a mince, is it ok to use the stuff from the butchers/supermarket or should it be from a pet shop?

10. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

my vet sells hills

the recommended it to my mums dog- 10kg over weight. so the hill RD has worked wonders for him, but the vet i seen wasn't too keen on my pup going onto hills

nor am i

oh hills was another sample i did order thou, he got the sample in his kong one afternoon as a treat

11. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I only buy minced meat from AMP because they mince the bones too which means they are getting all the calcium and goodness from the bone. I personally wouldn't use human grade mince...god only know's what things have been added to it. ;)

12. Horse and Hound

Fair enough.

I'll have a look for stockists!

13. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Vets know the basics about pet nutrition, just like out doctors knows the basics of our nutrition. Your vet will advocate whatever dog food their practice is getting a kick back from selling. Thankfully my vet isn't against raw.

Many dogs are fed raw, it's great for them as in my opinion, I use durham animal feed minces, and add liver and prize choice free flow tripe a few times a week. They also get raw meaty bones a few times a week to help clean their teeth.

The vet said last week that my dogs are in perfect condition, perfect weight for breed and hight, perfect teeth, coat etc.

If you want to feed raw, go for it. There's a huge amount of info out there, as someone else has already said, check out britbarf.

14. Horse and Hound

15. Taylors Petfoods

Taylors Petfoods PetForums Junior

we always reccomend skinners field & trial puppy as its fairly priced and its vat free

16. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

17. Horse and Hound

I just got told that is the AMP stuff people go on about! :thumbup:

I'm going to use this for a while and then look at supplementing it with other meat.

18. LucyJ

LucyJ PetForums Member

Also go to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

for revies and always look at the feeding guide to work out the cost. Some cheaper foods need to be fed in higher amounts than some of the more expensive.

19. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

dont mean to gate crash your forum but can i ask for advice also?

Bella is 18 month lab x gsd weighing 30kg, she has the frozen mince from pets at home cooked and james wellbeloved dried food 1/2 and 1/2. my vet has said to stop feeding the mince as you dont know how long out of freezer ect on transportation :-s

Bella wont eat dried food on its own and goes off aot of food quickly she did love natures harvest as a pup but now wont eat it.

is there any that you would recommend or shall i stick to JWB and just add chicken, beef, lamb from supermarket??

thanks.

20. Horse and Hound

Your vet said you don't know how long it is out of the freezer?

Well, surely in that respect, no one would eat frozen mince from a supermarket?? :confused:

Anyway, I have an update.

Stocked up on my AMP stuff (3 blocks of the Prize choice and 2 backs of the Nature's Choice blocks). I also gave him a raw chicken drumstick for the first time, which took him a good 45 minutes to eat but he loved it! Bone was gone, the lot. Only thing is, I was glad I watched him as he had a piece stuck in the side of his mouth, but no harm done as I got it out no worries.

This morning he had some tripe, heart and kidney cubes with his mix! Tonight going to give him some chicken mince and pasta I think.

Oh, one last thing, which is gross but anyway, I got really worried last night as he didn't go to the loo for a number 2 from eating his tea, right through till bed time. Still nothing.

However, this morning after breakfast...well,lets just say I don't know how a puppy that size can hold that much poop!! Is it normal for it to take longer to come through than his tinned stuff was, or should I be adding more to it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice