Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to feed nursing mum

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Ede, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Ede

Ede PetForums Junior

Hello, my dog had pups on Saturday evening and is being a little fussy on what she eats... won’t he her kibble but is happy to eat scrambled eggs... I know at this stage she needs to be eating a lot and was hoping that some have some good ideas of what I can give her for meals as She can’t just live on scrambled eggs...
    Does anyone advice of giving bowl of full fat goats milk as well for the calcium as she is feeding 8 of them :)
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

#1 Ede, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. Ede

Ede PetForums Junior

Following on from this she seems to have bad diarrhoea at the moment so trying to settle her stomach slightly I have just done her some chicken and rice to hope that helps a little but can anyone give any other suggestions of what can give?
    Thank you

3. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Cut out the goats milk as that could be the cause of the diarrhoea and get some colocal d to supplement calcium that way.try soaking her normal kibble in warm water and then give it her in her bed. She may just not want to leave them to eat. Some bitches can be like this for the first week or two

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Assuming your bitch ate the placentas, that is most likely the cause of the diarrhoea.

At this time, she needs a diet rich in fat and calcium.

I would give her a good quality, complete puppy food. She will likely find wet more appealing than dry.

Offer her some rice pudding, sardines and cooked, mashed broccoli, to supplement her diet.

It isn't unusual for a bitch to be fussy for several days after delivery. As I mentioned, it is likely caused by the placentas.

niamh123 likes this.
  5. Ede

Ede PetForums Junior

I thought it might be the milk with is giving diarrhoea but worried she will lack in calcium and cause eclampsia which is my main concern. Ok thank you I shall get some colocal d and try soaking her biscuits I have tried mushing them into wet food but she will just spit them out!!

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would not give a calcium supplement without the advice of your Vet.

I would do as I suggested above.

Ede likes this.
  7. Ede

Ede PetForums Junior

That’s great thank you yes I did try her with sardines in sunflower oil with rice today and she loved them so at the moment I know she will eat sardines and eggs and at 3am I was cooking eggs for her due to her not eating a lot making sure give her small amount frequently to settle her tum. No she didn’t eat any of the placentas but had to take her to the vets on Sunday evening as I noticed she was still contracting nearly 24 hrs later due to retained placentas, which scan showed 2 retained placentas and a lot of fluid so gave her Oxotain jab and she passed them fairly quickly which was good and settled down more after she had passed them. It makes me feel better that it’s not unusual for them to be fussy but just worry a lot about eclampsia. Am I right in thinking as well it can be normal to pant at times and still slot of discharge?

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Yes, that is normal.

Eight pups snuggled up to her will make her feel very warm and a little discharge is normal.

So long as she's settled with her babies, don't worry.

niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice