Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to feed a sick dog...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jazmine, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

Scout has had the runs and has been vomiting since yesterday morning. Today, the runs seem to have subsided, but there is still some vomiting. We have been starving him, but thought about giving him a light meal tonight. What should we give him?

(We did consider taking him to the vet, but to be honest, he seems fine in himself. He is drinking plenty of water, and we thought we would wait and see how things looked tomorrow. If he vomits at all overnight we will take him in the morning).

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I'd starve him overnight personally, but if you really want to feed him, then go for good old rice and boiled chicken/whitefish.

Definately vets if no better by the morning though, I leave the runs for a couple of days, but vomiting is more serious, it really takes it out of them. If he is vomiting frequently, ring your emergency vet and ask about giving him some zantac liquid, to neutralise the acid in the vomit as it really irritates their throats. I always give mine some if they're vomiting, but don't like to recommend it to others without them asking their own vets first.

3. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

Chicken and rice is what we were considering, I was told by someone at work not to give him his usual food but I don't know how much truth there is in that?

We starved him yesterday, but today he seems a lot more active, pretty much back to his usual self, which is why I am thinking about a tiny bit of food. He is hunting all over looking for something to eat...

He last vomited this morning, if that makes any difference

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i always stick with boiled chicken and rice for Mave...but only in little amounts

5. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

boiled chicken and rice would be my vote!

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Ah OK, sorry I presumed the vomiting had been frequent. If he hasn't done it since this morning it sounds like he is on his way to recovery :)

I wouldn't give him his usual food just yet, he needs a light meal which is going to be easy on the tum and easy to digest, so chicken/fish and rice is ideal. Feed it in small amounts- ie, a tablespoon to start, then another tablespoon half hour later etc. Increasing to three small meals by tomorrow if he keeps the food down overnight tonight, and then two meals the next day, and slowly reintroducing his usual food with the chicken/fish & rice on the third day, all being well.

Hopefully the little man will be feeling better soon. Just seen the pic in your sig? Is your boy a pup? If so, vets ASAP.

7. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

He's almost a year old now, I just haven't brought myself to change the pic... he's still a tiny puppy to me!

Thanks for the advice, sometimes it's hard to know what to do for the best, I would hate to give him anything that made him vomit again

8. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

After a couple of small portions of chicken and rice, all seems well!

Hopefully he will have a good night!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice