Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Chipthehamster3, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Chipthehamster3

Chipthehamster3 PetForums Newbie

My dwarf hamster of three years is now obviously a senior and has been diagnosed with cataracts. (Apologies I don't know how to spell it) His behaviour has changed as he has become a bit slow which is all normal with age, that isn't what I'm worried about though. One of his from teeth seems to have been overgrown as I can see it coming out his mouth when I turn him over he has many dental toys on his cage to wear his teeth down so I'm confused to why he isn't using them. Is this normal for his age? Do I have to do anything to help?

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hi.

You need to take him to the vet and they can clip his teeth, it doesn't hurt as it's like you cutting your finger or toe nails :)
    You do need to get an appointment ASAP though as he probably can't eat or won't be able to soon with overgrown teeth.

Lurcherlad, Engel98 and kimthecat like this.
  3. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Member

If one tooth is overgrown to that extent it is probably that he is having problems with his other teeth, not that he's just not chewing things. Maybe one is damaged or has fallen out.

I agree a vets appointment is the only solution here! If you can't get him there immediately then you can give him soft foods like porridge or baby food (check they're ham-safe first) to keep him going until he sees the vet. But that is not a long-term solution.

Engel98 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice