Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do???

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cassie01, Jul 3, 2009.

?

Do I buy a Bodger look-a-like??

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

The best rabbit in the world (my bodger) died the end of march this year and I still havnt quite gotten over him. Although Ive loved all my animals he was different. As soon as I saw him he was mine. a couple of weeks after he died I woke up, not remembering my dream but with a feeling that bodger had been there. I know it probably sounds crazy but Im sure he came to me and I had the feeling that something was coming to me. I sort of hoped it would be him but after 3 months I was starting to think Id imagined it all.

Today when I went to a pet shop to get a replacement heat light for my lizard my OH pointed out a bunnie that looked just like my little bodger, the same markings, the same face, except the eyes, bodgers were bluish grey and these were much darker. Bodger had two deformed sticky outy legs at the front, although it never stoped him, and this rabbit didnt have any deformities. So apart from the eyes and the legs they could have been the same rabbit. I have never seen another rabbit that looked like him before and I find it a bit strange that one showed up 3 months after, could this rabbit have been concieved just after I had that dream??

I burst into tears at the sight of him because I know I proabably shouldnt have any more animals for a while but now I feel so guilty for not getting him. I could be really stupid and its not my rabbit come back for a second attempt but if it is and I dont get him what if someone does take him home and not treat him properly.

I dont know what to do. I did want a male house bunnie when I moved but I wont be moving for a few more months. Dont know what to do!!!! need someone to tell me so I have someone to blame if its the wrong choice lol. I know I might regret it either way but I need a push in one direction. Do I buy him or not?? please help!!!!

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Id never buy from a petshop for a start, there are over 33,000 buns sat in rescues.

I think that you are obviously not ready yet and it would be an impulse buy for all the wrong reasons, no-one will replace bodger and i dont know why you'd want to do that, its not the same rabbit?

I undertstand you miss him but i think take your time, get yourself sorted and offer a rescue bun a valuable loving home they deserve :)

3. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Personally I feel if you get a look alike you will always want to compare the two.
    I think you arew obviously heartbroken over the loss of your rabbit and if I were you I would give yourself time to grieve,get through the house move and then look into getting the house bun you really want.
    It is not long to wait and it willgive you time to grieve for Bodger and then move and and accept a new rabbit in your life and not to try and find a replacement for you r special boy.

4. sarah1984

sarah1984 PetForums Senior

I totally agree with you. I think its never best to get a look a like as there will only ever be one Bodger. Give yourself time and you will know when you are ready to get yourself another special family member.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The problem with trying to "replace" a pet, is that they will never live up to your expectations.

Ive known some pet owners who have started to resent the new pet, as it doesnt act the same, it doesnt do what the old pet did. And more often than not disappointment sets in. The owner then cant be around the new pet, as its "not the same".

By all means get a new rabbit when you are ready, but get one that looks completely different. You wont ever be able to replace Bodger, and no rabbit will ever be like him. But a new bun can be just as special but in a different way.

You are grieving right now, so dont rush into anything.

6. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Ditto Above!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice