Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What To do?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by phile1988, Oct 7, 2013.

1. phile1988

phile1988 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    ive just signed up to this forum as im after some help and advice, the past few days, we have a a young cat keep coming to our back door and has not left our garden in days, im not sure if its feral, stray, lost or just on a wonder around, but he keeps coming back, i have gave him cat dry food that i went and bought and fresh water everyday, i have put a box in the garden with a blanket and teddy, and he just keeps sitting on our back door step,

i am not sure on the next step to take as i dont know the laws regarding cats as i have never had one before, it obviously has taken to us as i go and sit in the garden and he gets on my lap and purrs playfully, im not sure on breed but think it may be bengal, its a ginger colour with faint stripes and white pawsm doesnt look very old, id say 8-10 weeks thats just rough tho as i said never really been into cats but i have kinda taken to this one, not sure were to go from here, do i try and convince the partner to let me bring it in the house etc.

thanks and any help appreciated

forgot to say i have asked around the neighbourhood too and it does not belong to anyone around here

#1 phile1988, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. inkymoggy

inkymoggy PetForums Member

I'd see if you can catch it and get it scanned for a microchip - if all is clear then go for it! I'm sure he loves the attention and food (probably switch to wet, its better in the long run and cats seem to like it more) - its unlikely he's a bengal, most likely just a very lovely moggy :)

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Bengal's don't come in red tabby, nor with white paws - lots of people see a tabby and think it must be a Bengal but tabby is a coat pattern not a breed - he will be a common and garden ginger tabby with white moggy.

Get him scanned for a chip, put posters up etc and then is no-one claims him he is yours.

4. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Yeah, make sure you advertise a found cat....DONT ADD A PICTURE!!!

This is important as then anyone can claim the cat, before its real owner comes forward, if it has one of course.

Please do all in your power to see if the kitty has owners, cos i'd be heartbroken if one of my cats got lost and someone decided just to keep him/her instead of seeing if him/her had an owner....its always been a fear of mine, but now they dont leave the garden so I have no worries!

Good luck with whatever the outcome is!

And also, if the owners are found and for some reason you dont like them, they dont seem too relieved, over joyed etc tell them they need to reimburse you for food, vet trips etc but dont abuse that, only do it if you really think the family dont deserve the cat back, if someone really cares about thier cat, they would pay....i know i would if someone found my cat and said "well i had to pay 100 quid at the vets for treatment cos he was hurt, i want it back or you dont get your cat" i would chuck the money at them! haha

5. phile1988

phile1988 PetForums Newbie

hey, thanks for the replies, this was a duplicate thread lol stil getting used to the forum, as said in other thread, ive gone down the paper collar rout to see if i can find an owner and take it from there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice