Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do when you lose a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kelly-joy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. andrewjacson

andrewjacson PetForums Junior

I found above information about cats very helpful. But most importantly I would say don’t give up hope or your search.

2. Belgy67

Belgy67 Make your day count.

Never give up hope, I lost Dani on 5th Feb and got reunited 23rd March, 17 miles away from home. Just after she went missing there were gales, heavy snow and heavy rain, she is a wonder. Never give up hope these fur babies are so resourceful and resilient.

Treaclesmum, Soozi, huckybuck and 5 others like this.
  3. I love cats

I love cats PetForums Junior

So glad you found your cat Belgy.

I lost a moggie a number of years ago whilst on holiday. I flew home as soon as I could only to find she had arrived back whilst i was on the flight!!!

huckybuck and Belgy67 like this.
  4. Orangedrops

Orangedrops PetForums Junior

I'm lucky that I haven't yet had that problem but great advice in case my fur baby goes walkies...

5. Curious Cat Lady

Curious Cat Lady PetForums Junior

Thanks for the advice. Our lovely cat has been missing since 22nd July. We are devastated but won't lose hope. She is 2 years old and we only had her 8 months. She was calm and confident, wish we knew what happened to her, the house just isn't the same.

6. Izzyskud

Izzyskud PetForums Newbie

I lost my cat skud on Friday he went out and never came back, I have read the pinned posted and it has help.i am really hoping he has got shut in somewhere but I am being to lose hope of ever seeing him again :(

7. Curious Cat Lady

Curious Cat Lady PetForums Junior

Any news Izzyskud?
    Our Poppy is still missing.

8. Izzyskud

No news,I keep hoping but he has just seemed to just vanished.
    I hope yours turn up soon x

9. squirrel605

squirrel605 PetForums Member

aw. Hope he turns up soon. So sad, and scary when our furkids leave or disappear

10. Izzyskud

Thank you we found him yesterday but unfortunately it was bad news I am deverstated x

11. squirrel605

So sorry:(.

12. Izzyskud

Thank you

13. Leorory

Leorory PetForums Newbie

Just a similar message of hope as other members have given. In fact, even if/when you lose hope altogether, that is the time when you most need to continue with the search efforts.

In the summer of 2016 my girl was displaced in nearby bushes. My cats are pretty much indoor cats but I do ocassionally allow them brief supervised play at the front. We livecin a first floor flat with a shared staircase. This particular summer day my girl was crying at the top of the stairs to be let back into the flat - I was outside near the doorstep with my boy. Unexpectedly, the neighbour I dhare the staircase with came walking down and shoo-ed my girl away. She was terrified and ran into the bushes. My boy also ran away but I managed to get him back inside.

It took a whole ten days to get my girl home! Some dsys I would call her name and see her, other days I would call her name and head a pitiful meow but be unable to locate her, some days I would not see or hear her. Some days I thought she would never come home! But every day I took out food and water anyway. It was reading the advice on this Forum that gave me the energy to keep trying. On day 10, my girl was so hungry that she ate cat biscuits straight out of my hand, I could feel her spine when I stroked her. Used a plate of chicken to encourage her to the front door and eventually she ran back up the stairs, home and safe.

Now I very rarely let my cats out; if I do I make sure that my neighbour is not around. I am hoping to move to someplace with a secure garden so that I can allow my babies to explore the outdoors in a safe way.

Keep on trying

14. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

So pleased, Leorory that you've managed to get your baby back.

Something I'd like to add to the information is that when I received Bertie I was emailed information from the Kennel Club about something called Petlog. It is linked to the microchip and you are able to add additional information about your pet. If you pay a one-off £16 for premium registration then, if necessary, you are able to contact them and they put out an alert to all vets in a 30 mile radius. This way not only will the vet be given your details they are also on the look out for a pet matching the description being brought in. You can also add emergency and holiday contacts too.

squirrel605 likes this.
  15. tacefas

tacefas PetForums Newbie

I am working on device that will limit movement radius of our cats :). My inspiration were my cats Alba and Lina.
    I don't want to see them dead so I never let them out unless with me.
    Device will limit movement radius of your cat and will have gps tracking ability.

16. squirrel605

Sounds like a great device. Good luck. I know for both my dear dogs, they had microchips, and an invisible fence at home.

17. tacefas

tacefas PetForums Newbie

Thank you. Device will not use electrical shocks and it will be very simple collar, with no need of digging and placing wires...etc.
    It will include real time tracking, camera, base station and collar :)
    My cats inspired me as I have insane neighbor and road in vicinity.

18. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I just want to ad to this thread for anyone who hasn't discovered it. There is a network variously called Streetlife which is a sort of local social thing. When Betsy went missing a couple of years ago, just for a day or two, I put a post on asking people in the village to check in their outhouses. I don't know if it worked, but she turned up the next day. It's always worth finding out about these things.

19. Beckybeccajames

Beckybeccajames PetForums Newbie

This has been so useful in finding our missing Ollie boy and thanks to the Animal Search UK posters we had made we have found where he has been living.
    Only problem is that we now can't catch him to bring him home!i have been going there morning and night with treats and tuna to try and get him to trust me but no luck.

We have borrowed a trap but as he is so skittish I am worried this won't work. Has anyone here used a trap? Did you have any success? We are desperate to have him home.

20. Beckybeccajames

Beckybeccajames PetForums Newbie

I would suggest going out at night with a torch. You can see their eyes shining a mile off and it will at least give you an idea of what other cats are around.

We got a call from one of our flyers and found him in the area with the torch method.

Now if we could just catch him!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice