Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do when you lose a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kelly-joy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Lau5783

Lau5783 PetForums Newbie

Never loose hope. While at the local rescue centre today. A women brought in a cat that had turned up at hers and had been living in her garage, had a collar but she'd taken it to the vets and it wasn't micro chipped. She had been round all the neighbours putting the word out and nothing. The rescue centre checked its system and a reported lost cat at the start of February came up that fitted the description! Both blue collar with white spots! Miles from home this cat is about to be reunited with its owner 2 months on. They do turn up!!!

ZoeM likes this.
  2. TheCatCarer

TheCatCarer PetForums Newbie

I know it's covered on the list but I can't stress enough how important it is these days to get your cat microchipped. It is very cheap and can be a real time saver not to mention life saver in the future!

3. Lizzy87

Lizzy87 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys! I've never even thought about micro-chipping my cat - it's great advice, I'm gonna get on that right away to avoid disaster!

4. Linda L

Linda L PetForums Junior

Good luck finding your cat. Very sad day, will pray cat comes home safely. All good advice in previous posts.

5. Boo Meow

Boo Meow PetForums Junior

I let my beloved Bob outside for the first time yesterday, and I havnt seen him since. I went out in the back yard with him under supervision for a few days before I finally unlocked the catflap.

Last night he sniffed the flap, then was out. Been calling all day, asked neighbours even left the front door wide open. Im so upset, why would he not come back? I thought he was a happy fellow in my home :(

6. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer PetForums Member

What a great post. One of our cats went missing a few months ago and we did everything we could think of to find him. We put up posters with a photo, contact number and offering a reward, I wrote out loads of flyers to post through all the doors in our road and surrounding roads, we looked every night calling for him, knocked on everyone's door, posted messages on a Facebook local for sale group, called every local and neighbouring vet and rescue centre, called the microchipping place (Petlog?), joined a lost and found site... By the time it hit a week (and I know that's not hugely unusual but it was for him) I honestly thought that was it. Then we got a call late that night from a lady working at a nearby bar saying she'd seen him just then so hubby went to look and talk to her too. He'd gone by the time he got there as a car spooked him. He knocked on the door of the Samaritans to ask them if they'd seen him and the cheeky devil walked up to hubby meowing at him as if to say "you gonna take me home or what" ha! I cuddled and cuddled him and didn't want to let him go when they came home! He was a bit scratched up so we kept him indoors for a bit, reluctantly let him out about a week later. He hasn't wandered off since. We live in a square with a Salvation Army community centre in the middle, he usually sticks to the back here but he must have wandered off and got confused. I was terrified because he has a silly habit of sitting under cars and he'd been run over (luckily and amazingly without injury aside from a big scratch) just before we moved so I was thinking the worst.
    I love all our cats but he and I have a closer bond, and it's unusual for him to stay away longer than the night. He usually returns home each evening but occasionally stays out the night but never ever has he been away that length of time.
    I sincerely hope he doesn't do this again or any of the others!

7. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer PetForums Member

Aww no, did he return? Hope so :(

8. liamajhons

liamajhons PetForums Newbie

Great additional info... I currently have an iOS application that I am using to keep our Bulldog protected just in case it does gets lost.. the app helps you to send out Push Notifications within a 25KM radius of your location to all other users and you can create your pets profile and add pictures exactly like a flyer but can start sending out notifications within minutes of losing your pet, it has other excellent features and the best thing is it only cost 99cents to download and I believe their Android version is FREE... it's awesome I feel very secure using it... I am not a great fan of micro-chipping as I have read and seen cases where the animal has caught an infection or even a deadly illness such as Cancer from using a micro-chip so that's deffo a NO-GO for me and Brutus ...

9. AwesomeCats

AwesomeCats PetForums Newbie

The most important is not to lose hope! I remember I was looking for my cat 6 days, I thought i will never find him. But in the end somehow he got home by himself.
    Good luck!

10. DecantPet

DecantPet PetForums Junior

great advice.

11. DecantPet

A microchip is quite effective. But the rest of the points are also great.

12. Rahoulb

Rahoulb PetForums Member

Just like to say - definitely get them chipped!

Our cat Astro has just returned after 13 months missing - all due to his chip.

ZoeM and lazydays like this.
  13. andrewjacson

andrewjacson PetForums Junior

The information you are discussing here is very useful, I also have a sweet cute little kitty. I have never ever thought about this in my dreams. If anything happens like this then definitely I keep these things in mind and search end of the world.

14. Stardigrade

Stardigrade Guest

I just want to vent.

I let Baby Cat (three years old) out this morning at 4:00am and he has not returned. I will be patient and wait till tommorow for him to return, but he has been distant and spotty coming home for a few weeks now.
    He is quite traumatised by the black cat I have adopted (also around three years according to the vet) and I have reason to believe a kind family has offered Baby food and shelter and a stress-free environment.

I am so sorry. I am not sorry I took the black cat in - he was injured and hungry and he is so grateful for his new home. It must be a long time since he had a real bed.
    No, I am so sorry that I could not do enough for Baby to make him stay. I tried Feliway, I tried giving him Zylkene a few times. I gave Baby space and kept Blackbeard separate and out the kitchen during feeding times. Even when Beardy was clawing the doors open and growling at the space under the door whenever he smelled Baby walk by, I did all in my power to keep them separate.

I don't know what else I can say - my door will always be open for Baby cat, should he want to crash by.
    I regret not getting him microchipped, this is the one huge error I made as his new home will assume he was stray and abandoned.

15. DecantPet

Sorry about Baby. Let's hope you will microchip the new cat.

16. Kingelf

Kingelf PetForums Newbie

Also people you can get GPS gadgets to attach to there collars so you can track there whereabouts .
    No good if the collar comes off though but is worth the purchase for a bit of extra security

17. andrewjacson

Try contacting your local vets, cat rescue center breeders and clubs. Some will run a 'lost and found' register. If you think your missing cat has been stolen, notify the police of the theft of your cat.

18. andrewjacson

Really great advice. I found above information very helpful. Thanks For sharing this.

19. VeeVee

VeeVee PetForums Member

Thanks for the thread and positive stories. Our cat Thomas has gone missing since Sunday night (1 November), so 3 nights. I distributed leaflets through letter boxes and put a few posters on lampposts tonight. I reported him missing pet log and will call the vet for further advice. So fingers crossed. He is quite independent and can easily be out the whole day even when it's pouring with rain but never misses his meals. I'm trying to keep positive, I just hope that he is safe, warm with a full belly.

20. andrewjacson

There was another suggestion of putting food out at night with a baby moniter in case they are too freaked to return in normal hours - i've been doing this. I left a blanket under to catch stray hairs - all have been the wrong colour

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice