Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do when they decide to hate most food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kr00t0n, Nov 18, 2012.

1. kr00t0n

kr00t0n PetForums Member

In the past, Winston has happily eaten:

Smilla - Sardine
    Carny - All flavours
    Catz Finefood - All flavours
    Hi-Life - 60% poultry flavours
    Natural Instinct - Rabbit, bird, and lamb & chicken

He then suddenly decided that he doesn't like Smilla, L&C NI, and all the Carny flavours.

Then Catz was off the menu.

Now, he won't touch Hi-Life either, and has gone off the bird NI.

At the moment, the only things he will eat is:

NI Rabbit (begrudgingly, and they are out of stock)
    Cooked chicken
    Raw lamb mince

At first we thought maybe he had saw gums/teeth, causing a loss of appetite, but he wolfs down the chicken, which is arguably more difficult to chew than normal or NI mince.

What gives?

I'm very conscious of the fact only one is complete, so am supplementing with some gimpet baby tabs, which he also wolfs down. He also still loves his toothies.

Any ideas on what could cause this, or how to get him eating more again?

2. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I'm looking forward hearing the answer to this question. What I usually do is to go insanely shopping in Zooplus for the next more expensive brand. I think that somehow listening to OH complaining about the credit card bill on Zooplus shopping increases their appetite. :eek:

3. kr00t0n

kr00t0n PetForums Member

Yeah, I have tried small amounts of other brands (Grau, Petnatur, Granatapet) but he turns his nose up at them too.

He did love the Macs pouches when we first got him, but I don't want to make an expensive german order only for him to blank it all. :(

4. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Maybe ask on the food swap thread to try some new brands??

5. kr00t0n

kr00t0n PetForums Member

We took him to the vet a week ago. No obvious problems, teeth and gums are fine, eyes a bit gunky so he has been on antibiotics for a week.

But he is still hardly eating anything.

Even threw some Felix/Whiskas/Sainsburys own cat food in to the mix, and he isn't interested.

Last night we put some cooked chicken thigh (chopped up), NI Wild Bird, Smilla Toothies and some Royal Canin kibble.

Nibbled the chicken for a second, then ignored all the food.

This morning he had only had a small amount of the Toothies.

We don't know what to do :(

He's drinking fine, and runs around like a mad thing if Da Bird comes out, so really confused as to where he is getting his energy from, especially as he is indoor, so can't supplement his diet with critters outside.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Sorry, I am off out but have you tried tuna? Either cat food that is tuna (say HiLife) or tinned tuna?

7. kr00t0n

kr00t0n PetForums Member

Yep, various junk food tuna pouches, Encore tins, and human tuna as well. He's never been a huge fan of fish beyond prawns and sardine flavoured Smilla (the latter which he now ignores as well).

8. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Are his teeth & gums OK?

I thought we were going through a picky phase here but it turned out a dental was needed and still not over it yet, red throat and not eating properly.

9. kr00t0n

kr00t0n PetForums Member

Vet said teeth and gums are in perfect condition (I've been using Logic gel for 3 weeks now), so I really am stumped. Unless it's the antibiotics reducing his hunger.

He doesn't even hound us for food or wake us up or anything, it's like his calorie requirement has just dropped massively, but he's only 8 months old.

10. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I find that antibiotics cause loss of appetite, especially Convenia which I won't allow on my two ever again. I took in a cat because she wasn't eating and the vet gave an injection that lasts for 2 weeks and is in the system for months which stopped her eating for the full 2 weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice