Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do when my long haired cat wont let me brush her neck?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jasminecj, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Jasminecj

Jasminecj PetForums Newbie

I adopted a tortoishell long haired domestic cat yesterday and she’s too affectionate to let me brush her neck properly because she’ll always but her head onto my hand and the brush. I tried today to hold her head but she backed off and I didn’t want to push her. She’s been shaved to the left of the underside of her neck from a previous matter piece of hair (so I see someone else had a problem with it too) and have a clump on the other side. Would I be okay if I just cut the clump out? Or does that cause the hair to grow back awkwardly? She’s not a show cat so she doesn’t have to look her best because we thing she’s beautiful but I’m hoping someone else has had experience and can advise me on what to do.

She lets me brush her back and sides, haven’t tried her belly even though shes shown it to me and let me pet her briefly. Haven’t tried her tail either.

Attached Files:

2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum. All my cats but 1 let me brush them no problem. The minute I put a brush near Yogi he growls then he will bite and bunny kick. But I cannot allow him to not be brushed as he gets his winter coat in summer. and it make it a lot more difficult to control. I hug him so I can do what I need to do. I in no way hurt him I am very gentle. I frequently get hurt by him. All I can do is suggest that you have plenty of treats and do a couple of strokes of the brush and put some treats down. It won’t hurt to clip the knot out, but please be careful of her skin. Yogi can be a real spitfire when being brushed but after he’s been brushed he is just a gentle giant.

Viv xx

3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Take it slowly, she'll come round to the idea. Try for a few strokes with the brush several times a day at first.

If you do cut the mat out, do it carefully with round nosed scissors, or if you're worried that you might cut her skin, make an appointment with a nurse at your vet - they can also check if her claws need clipping and show you how to do it.

GingerNinja and vivien like this.
  4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I have one like this. She loves the brush so much that she headbuts it really quite hard. I angle the brush so that when she pushes it, it gets her cheek, then I carry the stroke on down her neck. She loves this as she is also able to scent mark the brush at the same time. Make sure it goes nowhere near her eyes, and tickle the other side of her face/neck to make her extend her head that way to give you good access for a big long stroke.

AmsMam and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice