Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do - picking up poop

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by YellowLab, Feb 1, 2012.

1. YellowLab

YellowLab PetForums Senior

Where we walk Yogi in the forest there are the red bins at the entrance in the car park but there are ZERO bins once you get into the forest. I try and let Yogi go in the garden before we go so I can pick it straight up and dont have to worry about her going in the forest. I just dont see any other way around it. I cant carry a bag of poo around with me for a few miles till we get back to the car park and I cant put it in the pram so what would I do if Yogi went whilst in the forest?

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Take a carrier bag and tie it to the pram handle to carry the poo bags? Not really an option to just leave them there is there?

Why not write to your local council about getting more bins put in along the pathway?

3. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

When this happens to us we bag it and then put it somewhere memorable and then pick it up and bin it when we come back. Obviously, this only works if you return the same way.

You could buy something like a baby bottle container (not sure how else to describe it but it is cylindrical, with padding and a zip top and a strap) and you could put it in there and carry it with you. No smell and safely sealed away until you find a bin.

4. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

5. dizzylou

dizzylou PetForums Member

Is there a reason you can't carry a poo bag? I clear up after my dog wherever she goes and carry it as far as I need to. We went to a similar place at the weekend where there was only a poo bin at the entrance :confused:

6. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I used to take a plastic container with a lid with me in my dog walking bag. That way if Rupert pooped and there was no bin nearby I could pick it up and put it in the container until we came across a bin. No bin nearby is no excuse for not picking up imo.

I've also done what Blue Beagle says a couple of times, picked up and hung the bag on a tree branch and picked it up on the way back but that relies on you going back the way you came so I prefer the container.

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

8. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Plastic food box with a car airfreshener in it.

9. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

In my case, yes. Handling Rupert around other dogs while carrying a bag of poo could have um...messy...results. So I found a way around it :D

10. YellowLab

9 times out of 10 im pushing a pram and sometimes have my older child holding the handles on a buggy board so while I do have poo bags on me if she does go I just dont know what to do with it. I cant put it in the bottom of the pram as that is where the changing bag goes with his bottles so REALLLY dont want poo anywhere near there and cant hang it off handles as it would be right in my daughters face. She has only done a poo once while in the forest and I did hang it on a branch and collected it on the way back to put in the bin but it means coming back the same way. Like I said I dont go until Yogi has already been at home so I know its highly unlikely she will go in there but I do have poo bags on me if she does. My question was what do I do with it

11. YellowLab

Didnt even think of a container!! Thanks!!

12. dizzylou

dizzylou PetForums Member

aha now I fully understand the situation :D there was me thinking you were just being lazy by not wanting to carry it :eek: oops sorry. I think some people have already posted about the dog poo carrier and lots of other very helpful suggestions

13. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Like bluebeagle, if we're going on a long walk without bins we just pop the poo bag in a memorable place and pick it up on our way back. You should be thankful you have bins at the car park, many a time we have taken poo bags home in the car with us! :eek: No matter how 'scented' the bags are meant to be, that pongs!

14. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

You need my new, special, all inclusive, smell containing, plastic container with lid that I haven't yet through of a fancy name for ;) Only £15 each! And a money back guarantee if the poo still stinks your car out!

15. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

There are bins by the car parks as they're easy to empty and that's where most dogs go - early in the walk. Usually if you're then out in the forest unless your dog goes on the track then it's fine to just leave it to naturally break down. If your dog goes on the track, simply move it off the track - so no one steps in it. The numbers of dogs near the car park mean that it would be awful if no one picked up - like at a dog show in the exercise area, but way out in the forest it'll be fine. All perfectly natural.

16. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

i know this feeling...

the common is good but the roads leading to it are residential so lots of nice grass but no bins at all. with two excited doggies waiting to get off the lead now i have to put the bag in my pocket and hope for the best. not quite sure how this is going to work if they have the runs or in the summer when im not wearing a massive man jumper but i guess il find out in a couple of months.

17. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Sorry if this has already been mentioned - haven't read the whole thread. But there are these capsule bags that you can put your poop bags in so you don't have to carry them round in your hand.

18. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Some places in our area have a 'stick and flick' policy, escpecially the National Trust land. If your dog goes in an off road, so to speak, area you can leave it. If it's on a path you can use a stick to flick it into the undergrowth. I believe they've done this because it's cheaper than maintaning poo bins and also people leaving and forgetting to pick up poo bags on the way back was causing more problems to wildlife than the actual poo.

Others have said about the containers, which sound a good idea. It must be a pain for you, I know my dog's poo doesn't exactly smell of roses :eek:

19. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

Loads of people do this down the track we use a lot and it's fine if you remember/go back the same way but sadly lots of people don't for whatever reason so there are lots of lovely poo bag baubles hanging in the trees! :(

20. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

When I have done this in the past some helpful person:mad: has assumed I am one of those poo- bag -flingers who has bagged the poo and left it behind and has decided to fling the bag into the bushes for me:mad: I have then had to go on a poo bag retrieval mission in the undergrowth. If I am somewhere very rural and off the beaten track I cover any poo with loose soil, leaves and grass and don't have any problem with doing this as it is probably more environmentally friendly than bagging it up plus there is no chance of anyone standing in it. Can't do this when the ground is frozen though;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice