Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do next?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SassyH, Sep 1, 2010.

1. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

My OH and I got Riley last Wednesday, and after the disaster we had trying to introduce Vada to Sooty, we have taken it very slow. We have kept them separate and let Riley explore the house whilst Sooty was put in 'his' room for a while so that we were swapping scents. Then yesterday we put Riley in the cat carrier and put it in the lounge whilst Sooty was on the sofa. we were giving both of them treats, of which Sooty had one, she looked at him and then ran to our bedroom, which we have kept scent free of Riley so it could be her safe haven. Problem is, were do we go from here? How can we get her used to him while he is in the carrier if she just walks away? Do we put her in the carrier and let him go closer? I just don't want to overly stress her or 'force' her to be near him. I just don't know which stage of introduction to do next. Help!
    Ps. Sorry for the mega post

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

hi dont worry your doing so so so well!

If you do the "in carrier" intros every day before each mealtime (so theyre both hungry and more likely to take the treat from you), if so then see if sooty will take a super tasty smelly snack from a bowl in the same room. Something like slightly warmed tuna or whatever his favourite meal is. Once you have him eating in the same room then its probably ok to try an introduction face to face.

Bring the carrier down and let Riley out. Put a smelly bowl of tuna in front of each, and see if they will have their dinner.

IF, for any reason you dont think sooty/riley are ready then try swapping over. Take sooty in the carrier into Rileys room and repeat the process until you think they are ready.

There will be some hisses, some growels and even some fur flying... but it should never be dangerous.

Have you got feliway? and even some catnip?

If sooty likes catnip then rub some on rileys fur when you first let him out of the carrier!

good luck!

3. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

Thank you BBM. We have a feliway going. Sooty doesn't like catnip unfortunately, anything else we could use. I will try some tuna tomorrow. Is tuna ok for a 12 week old?

4. billyboysmammy

absoloutly fine, i use the tuna in spring water. If they have another favourite wet food then use that slightly warmed (it smells more so they like it more) instead if you like, tuna was just an example.

You can buy 100% cat tuna from asda - called feline feyre too. Its only a complimentory meal so shouldnt replace a proper diet, but as a treat for a few days its perfect.

5. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

Well BBM, you are a genius. This morning we put some tuna infront of sooty and put Riley in the carrier, but also had the gate to the kitchen closed. Sooty started eating and i pushed the carrier about a foot away from her before she noticed. She did stop eating and hissed at him but then the temptation of tuna got the better if her. We gave Riley treats aswel and he didn't hiss. Sooty hissed and ate, hissed and ate and as soon as the gate was open she hissed and ran to the bedroom. Not once during the hissing did her tail puff or raise. So, what next? Do this for a couple of days?

6. billyboysmammy

That is good news!

keep at it hun, once she is happy in the same room without the hissing and the bolting then let Riley out for a few mins at a time.

She will hiss and bolt again lol, but its all about perseverance, and slowly slowly is the key. Eventually she should be comfortable with him being out in the same room, and you can leave him out indefinatly.

There will at some point be a scuffle and a bit of fur flying, but it should never be dangerous or so stressful that either cat is traumatised xx

7. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

Update: Last night we did the food thing again and Sooty only hissed at Riley once and still ate her food :)
    then later in the evening she was relaxing on the sofa and we also let Riley out. She only hissed if he got too close but she didn't bolt from the room and was snoozing on and off. That a good sign? We are going to try and feed them both together this morning, with the gate to the kitchen separating them.
    I do have one Q though, does anyone have any idea as to why Sooty has taken to going to the loo outside rather than using her litter tray? Thanks

8. billyboysmammy

VERY VERY good signs. Dont push things too fast, your making great progress :)!

litter tray! No idea.... have you changed the position of the tray, type of litter, actual tray, has the new fella used it...

is she being finniky because she wants it scooping more often?

9. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

Rileys not used it and nothing else has changed. Can't be scooped
    more often as she doesn't do anything in it.
    Riley ate infront of her today, she didn't hiss once but also didn't eat. She seems scared of him rather than hostile.

10. billyboysmammy

welll.... things are getting there though, give her a break for the rest of the day and let her gain some confidence back (and get something to eat ;)). The fact that she has been eating in front of him up to now shows she isnt too stressed, its just a long process of introduction.

I have to say i am so impressed too! So many people just throw cats together and expect them to get on with things!

I think when the next feliway has finished you might want to consider some felifriend? its designed to help strengthen bonds between pets (and their owners for that matter).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice