Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What to do if your dog goes missing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MiffyMoo, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Wow, I would never have thought of that! Excellent idea though

2. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

I'm involved in the tracking dog group down here - it really helps if you have a 'clean' scent item - a bed or blanket that all household dogs have shared doesn't work, it has to be particular to that one dog, hence I keep a 'separate' scent item as opposed to hoping I find something that's not too contaminated.
    I'm lucky my lads are all huge (easy to spot - and don't blend into a background!), friendly (once any initial panic was over; they would probably approach people) and well known round the neighbourhood here (most locals would know who they belonged to if they found them out and about), but I'd still be terrified if one went missing, so anything that helps improve their chances of being found quickly......

MiffyMoo and DaisyBluebell like this.
  3. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I was thinking that you do have the size advantage :D

4. Abby Cox

Abby Cox PetForums Member

This incident would really make me panic, what do you think can help in avoiding situations like this?

5. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I think he was joking, as we never recommend leaving your dog tied up outside shops

DaisyBluebell and JoanneF like this.
  6. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I can imagine people forgetting they have their dog with them and leaving it behind though.

My mum took me out with her when she went shopping shortly after I was born. When she came home, dad asked her is she'd got everything she wanted and then said "Did the baby enjoy the outing?"

"The baby?..."

I'm pretty sure Mum would have broken the record for sprinting as she raced back to the shop to retrieve the pram!

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

A neighbour managed to leave his dog tied up outside a shop and forget to take her home. He rushed back to find she had already gone:eek:. Asked in the shop, but no one had seen or heard anyone enquiring about the dog. He was devastated and felt so awful about leaving her, usual thing, mind elsewhere.

After about a week of searching for her and putting up notices and speaking to the local stray dogs home, he had a phone call from the women who had taken her from outside the shop. She wouldnt/couldn't accept that it it was just forgetfulness on his part and he was thoroughly berated for leaving her. She then put the phone down on him so he had no idea where the dog was and whether the lady would return her or even get in touch again (no 1471 in those days). After several days she phoned again and after a long conversation gave him her address so he could go and pick up his dog. He counts himself very lucky as he thought he has lost her forever.

Moobli and MiffyMoo like this.
  8. Abby Cox

Maybe he is, I think a device that would secure a dog to avoid losing him might also help.

9. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

Great sticky! I have been watching Lost and Found too and learned things I never knew before - such as usually friendly, bonded pet dogs going into survival mode where even the owner is seen as a threat. I had no idea.

Like Ouesi my dogs tend to stick close and aren't prone to wandering, but never say never.

My hubby has lost a couple of his sheepdogs when out working the hills. Thankfully we got both back. One was caught in a gamekeeper's snare but was unharmed and the other was just about to be picked up by some people on the hill road just as hubby did another search (that dog had been missing around four hours at that point). They were going to take him to the local police station.

It must be every dog owner's worst nightmare to lose a dog and never know what happened to it :(

DaisyBluebell, Abby Cox and MiffyMoo like this.
  10. Abby Cox

My friend broke down when she thought she'd lost her beagle when the girl she paid to walk Sashie around the park got distracted and didn't notice that Sashie's leash got broken.... She was devastated and keeps blaming herself. And then we started to asks her neighbors, paste posters around the area and also on social media. It was a good thing that when we went to the station the next day, the officer said someone reported a lost beagel the day before, and after a while Mare got Sashie back. She didn't go to work that same day just to spend time with Sashie and she keeps apologizing to her, making sure it will not happen again.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  11. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Phone the dog warden first. I often get the finder ring me before the owner even knows their dog is missing. Once I have the finders details I can then p[ass it on, With their permission, to the owner. That way the finder doesn't pay a fine for allowing their dog to stray.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  12. Abby Cox

I agree, this will really help. It is better to secure dogs all the time to avoid problems. Providing details to the dog is one way to keep him safe.

13. Abby Cox

Good thing you saw him again :) You can use some accessories that can help secure him, to avoid this from happening again.

14. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

"Accessories"????

Perhaps a brain eh @Dr Pepper

Moobli likes this.
  15. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Don’t expect a reply lol. A certain somebody got busted by mods.

16. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

In the first year i had my dog , i lost him once and my partner lost him once. In two v different locales. One was the usual dog walk route near house, he went off after (i think now probably city roe deer). Couldn't find him, was calling etc. Extreme worry as near to dual carriageway - he would have to cross to get home. I called the numbers/crying etc etc etc. Calling for him/walking around the campus that was attached to a wooded city park. In the end a dog walker rang me- from his tag, she was putting her dogs back in the van , when she realised she had an extra head with her...the importance of a clear tag (he's also chipped but still, saved hassle from finder to take to vets etc)

The second time he was out with my partner and two of his friends on a country walk (25 miles plus). Then bolted, i think again after deer. They looked for hours, i got more people and drove to site to look. asked where he'd left from. Went to exact spot he was lost from and there he was- knackered, filthy but waiting right there.

All the advice posted is great and i think it's probably not uncommon, especially if you're new to owning a dog. Safe to say he is leashed everywhere there be deer these days.

17. Abby Cox

Indeed finding our lost pet/s are very exhausting and I've been there. Good thing your dog has a tag on it. Aren't you worried that you might lose him the third time around?

18. Abby Cox

Indeed finding our lost pet/s are very exhausting and I've been there. Good thing your dog has a tag on it. Aren't you worried that you might lose him the third time around?

Julesky likes this.
  19. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Well, this was in the early days when he was rehomed with us, we were new owners and i guess didn't understand/ had no experience of the irresistibility of deer to him and that recall works, until it doesn't.

It's been 7 years since his last 'big' run off. But yeah, always a possibility- but a very reduced one now- he's always leashed in the kind of areas/situations i wouldnt trust him in and new places. We know each other a lot better now.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  20. Abby Cox

That's good news. Well as for me , I've been very careful and cautious . I wouldn't want that horrible incident to happen again to me and my precious dog.I don't tie him with a leash because he gets too aggressive. Since then, I've been using a tracker to track my dog's location. I would just let him roam around the playground or park during Sundays. Whenever we go for a walk, I'm at ease that I wouldn't lose him again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice