UK Pet Forums Forum banner

What to do for my old westie ?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Oasis344 
#1 ·
Hello all

I have been combing google for hours and came across this lovely warm forum.

I dont know what to do for the best for my 14 year old rescue westie.

I discovered 2 little mammary tumours 3 weeks ago and the vet on one hand talked of removing the whole chest area and on the other said she thought they were benign. Oasis eats brown rice, carrots, cooked hamburger/chicken/chicken livers/sardines with dog vitamins and omega 6.

After the tumour discovery I researched boosting a dogs immune system and started also giving her pureed broccoli, live yogurt, kelp, coconut oil, echinacea, probiotics and grapefruit seed extract. She seemed to be doing fine on this and the tumours didnt grow. Its only a few weeks I know.

Last Monday she ate nothing at all. No vomiting no diarrhoea just didnt eat. On tuesday we went to the vets who said she had probably eaten something she shouldnt have and gave her a couple of injections. 4 days later Oasis was a bit better, still happy to go for a walk but not eating much and not drinking water. She would only eat from my hand not from her bowl. I have been losing trust in my vet after years of paying a lot of sizeable bills and never feeling they knew what they were doing. Here was another example, a visit, a big bill and 4 days later Oasis just the same.

Yesterday I tried a different vet. She did a blood test and the ALP reading was 305 instead of 150. On 5 Oct her ALP reading was fine. The vet talked of hepatitis and suggested keeping Oasis there for 48 hours on a drip (cant honestly remember if it was a blood transfusion or antibiotics). Oasis is a very nervous dog and she would be really traumatised by 48 hours in an unknown lab. I said no, the vet gave her an injection and I walked off with Zitac100 (an antacid) and Epato (helps liver) and a promise that I would be back on Monday and need the 48 hour transfusion anyway. We went for a walk then got home and Oasis ate all her food from the bowl and drank lots of water.

I just do not know what to do for my little girl. Each day she gets a bit better but its very slow. My gut feeling is to carry on with the supplements (just found a liver one called zentomil) and that she will get better. But maybe I should go along with the "experts" and their chemical solutions. Researching on the internet 305 ALP is not that big a deal. Thurs & Fri Oasis was running along the beach which was a good sign but she's lethargic and scared and a bit confused in the house.

Thanks for reading. Feels better just to write it all down actually.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hiya
Gosh, so sorry that you're having problems with your wee girl - and your vets. You must be so stressed out yourself too. It's just impossible to come to a rational conclusion from all the info available on the web on diets and health etc too. So confusion.
What strikes me here is that - and sorry if i'm wrong - but do you know if her diet is actually nutritionally balanced? And your not over supplementing etc. And also hamburgers usually have onion powder in them (if they're human ones?); onions should be avoided for dogs.
You could ask your vet to recommend a veterinary nutritionist - although they are few and far between - that would at least help you to know that you're on the best diet.
Sorry that there's nothing specific to say here, but hope it helps a bit at least.
cheers
anna

#4 ·
I agree with Rona

I wouldnt be putting my dog through surgery at 14... we lost out collie at 13, he was weeing blood, so we took him for an x-ray and found a tumour on his bladder so we had him pts on the table. He was also going senile - couldnt remember when he came into a room, wanted to go back out again etc... little things... he also had "fattylumps" which we just left as he was older - and again surgery was a no-no.

Sorry not what you probably wanted to hear but im not a fan of surgery on older dogs...

I cant offer any advice of what you should do with your dog but just my experience of older dogs and surgery.

#5 ·
Sometimes,its the kindest thing we can do for our pets.Its a horrible decision to have to make. Euthenasia is a horrible thought,but often the right one.

Some times,we want to hold onto them,to spare our own feelings,but in situations like this,your dog needs you to stop this suffering.

I had to make choice for my dog,and I still get upset at the thought of it.But I couldnt have seen him suffering,like he was.
Sorry to be blunt,but as an outsider,this is what seems the best option for your dog

#6 ·
Hello all

I have been combing google for hours and came across this lovely warm forum.

I dont know what to do for the best for my 14 year old rescue westie.

I discovered 2 little mammary tumours 3 weeks ago and the vet on one hand talked of removing the whole chest area and on the other said she thought they were benign. Oasis eats brown rice, carrots, cooked hamburger/chicken/chicken livers/sardines with dog vitamins and omega 6.

After the tumour discovery I researched boosting a dogs immune system and started also giving her pureed broccoli, live yogurt, kelp, coconut oil, echinacea, probiotics and grapefruit seed extract. She seemed to be doing fine on this and the tumours didnt grow. Its only a few weeks I know.

Last Monday she ate nothing at all. No vomiting no diarrhoea just didnt eat. On tuesday we went to the vets who said she had probably eaten something she shouldnt have and gave her a couple of injections. 4 days later Oasis was a bit better, still happy to go for a walk but not eating much and not drinking water. She would only eat from my hand not from her bowl. I have been losing trust in my vet after years of paying a lot of sizeable bills and never feeling they knew what they were doing. Here was another example, a visit, a big bill and 4 days later Oasis just the same.

Yesterday I tried a different vet. She did a blood test and the ALP reading was 305 instead of 150. On 5 Oct her ALP reading was fine. The vet talked of hepatitis and suggested keeping Oasis there for 48 hours on a drip (cant honestly remember if it was a blood transfusion or antibiotics). Oasis is a very nervous dog and she would be really traumatised by 48 hours in an unknown lab. I said no, the vet gave her an injection and I walked off with Zitac100 (an antacid) and Epato (helps liver) and a promise that I would be back on Monday and need the 48 hour transfusion anyway. We went for a walk then got home and Oasis ate all her food from the bowl and drank lots of water.

I just do not know what to do for my little girl. Each day she gets a bit better but its very slow. My gut feeling is to carry on with the supplements (just found a liver one called zentomil) and that she will get better. But maybe I should go along with the "experts" and their chemical solutions. Researching on the internet 305 ALP is not that big a deal. Thurs & Fri Oasis was running along the beach which was a good sign but she's lethargic and scared and a bit confused in the house.

Thanks for reading. Feels better just to write it all down actually.
Dont know if this may be any help. Its a liver cleansing home made diet. its actually from a canine epilepsy website, the reason being that a lot of the epilepsy drugs can put the liver through it and cause problems, so hence the liver cleansing diet. Something called milk thistle along with the liver cleansing diet can help too, it may be of interest so Ive linked you to it just in case.

Liver Cleansing Diet and Milk Thistle

Supplements for Home Cooked Diets - Canine Epilepsy Guardian Angels

MILK THISTLE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.