Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What to do about stray?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jaelorcat, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Jaelorcat

Jaelorcat PetForums Newbie

I'm looking for some advice on what is best to do.

A few weeks back, a lovely cat appeared in our garden. She's not a kitten, and we've been in the property for 7 years and have never laid eyes on her before. She kept visiting and seemed hungry so I have started feeding her.

No matter what time of day (or night ) you open the back door, she comes running from under the bush. I put a paper collar around her for a few days with a message and my name and number, asking the owner to contact me, but nothing. I've now put a proper collar on her with a message in a 'locket' - she's had this on for a week and still nothing.

I've been feeding her regularly and letting her in to sleep when we're home. However, we rent and on speaking to my land lady, although she's happy for us to home her in the garden, she doesn't want her in the house (miserable old trout).

Now I'm not sure what to do for the best - I've ordered her a cat kennel with a cat flap for the garden so she stays dry and reasonably warm and I plan to defy my land lady and let her in in the morning for food and for the evening before we go to bed. However, the cat (we've called her 'Porshi') is a very homely cat - doesn't want to play (although quite enjoyed cat nip!), loves a cuddle and a sleep and seems to want to be in all the time. On that basis, should I approach RSPCA / Cat Protection League about getting her rehomed?

I'm very sad about what to do - the kids love her and she's no trouble. She even 'asked' to go out this morning for a wee!

What's best?

2. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Perhaps you could contact cats protection and ask them to try and find her a new home and you carry on fostering her ? Get her the kennel and perhaps sneak her indoors at night for safety if the landlady doesn't find out? She would be fine all day with shelter. I hope she is neutered though! You could pop her to the vet to check for a micro chip although unlikely unless her owners have moved and she has got lost.

3. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I can understand the landlady not wanting pets.....not many do. Its a shame.

I would carry on as you are doing and hopefully she is already spayed.

Good advice to get her checked for a micro chip though.

4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Sounds like you have a nice little friend for you and your children.
    You could register her on some lost and found cat sites but If anyone comes forward they would have to prove somehow that this little one is theirs.
    There are so many nasty people about trying to get free cats for Dog fighting.

As for the old Trout (land Lady) I wouldn't worry too much about her.
    How would she know that you have her in the house? She surely would have to make an appointment to come and see you anyway.
    As long as she doesn't sit in the windows know one is to know.
    Cats love to be in the warmth in the Autumn and Winter and sleep near the fire and they are no trouble.

Could you put a picture of her on here and maybe we could guess her age.

5. jltaylor

jltaylor PetForums Senior

Hi have you checked the national missing pet register to see if anyone has posted on there that they are missing her? National Missing Pets Register - Lost Pets and Found Pet Search UK

My cat has been missing for a month now, I keep checking on there in case someone posts a photo of my Luna.

Perhaps you could post where you are on here as lots of people end up on this site when looking for a lost pet:)

6. Jaelorcat

Jaelorcat PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't had her checked for a microchip yet - I don't have anything to transport her to the vets in, but I will ask around and see if I can borrow something.

Below are a couple of pictures of her - how old do you think she is? My daughter has put a blanket around her in the second picture :001_rolleyes:

View attachment Porshi1.bmp

View attachment Porshi2.bmp

I have registered her on the animalsearchuk website and asked a couple of neighbours, but nothing. As for the land lady - unfortunately, she lives next door but her actual house is about 200 yards in front of ours and the cat only goes in the backgarden, so we could probably get away with it!

Hopefully the cat kennel will arrive by the end of this week and I'll see what she makes of it.

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

What a lovely looking cat. She certainly doesn't look like a stray or, if she is, she hasn't been one very long. Maybe she's only just moved to your area. Perhaps she has owners who just don't bother about her much, there are lots of those. I'm no expert on age but I would say perhaps about 4-5 or older ?? I would check with Cats Protection to see if anyone has reported her missing to them but say that you want to keep her if no one comes forward. They may be able to check for a microchip or lend you a carrier for you to take her to a vets. Rescues are so full nowadays I think they would be happy to know you want to keep her. I hope your landlady doesn't visit you very much if you plan to let her indoors (though I would do the same).

8. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Since you can't keep her I think after fiding out if she's micro chipped, you should try and rehome her with a local cat chairty, she might be put on a waiting list so you'll have to look after her for a while.

If they can't help ask for a spaying voucher and after she's been spayed try and rehome her yourself.

Don't worrie about the cat kennel. If she can't get into your house she should learn to sleep in that until she's rehomed.

9. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

It isn't completely unheard of for cats to wander into open vans and then get transported a few miles away and not be able to find their way home. I heard of two instances of this in the summer.

I would recommend contacting the Cats Protection, as previously suggested, and they will start their Lost and Found procedure which will involve checking for a chip and advertising her to see if she has an owner who is actively looking for her.

Also, as has been mentioned she really does need to be checked to see if she has been neutered as if she hasn't there is a good chance you will end up with kittens which really isn't a good idea.

10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

She is lovely. I think she is an Adult cat about 4/5 years old.
    The vet might be able to roughly tell the age by her teeth.

Good Luck x

11. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I agree with others who think she looks a fully mature adult - she's certainly not less than 3 - there is nothing of the kitten about her.

I also think she's only been living rough for a short time, as even allowing for your care, she looks well and is relaxed (most strays become wary of people pretty quickly, due to the abuse that is often directed at them).

Personally, I would let her in (as someone else has said, your landlady won't know), and see if there is a microchip and report her to any local vets, police stations and rescues just in case someone is looking for her. Also - does she have a saggy, flappy tummy? Because if so, you might be lucky and she might be spayed - if not it is something that needs to be done asap. Cats' Protection might help you with this.

12. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Aw she is a pretty lady, I would guess around middle aged :)
    If no owners can be found, and you really want to keep her, my friend had success with this method last year....
    Lay it on thick to the landlady with a huge sob story about poor little homeless kitty, explain how much the kids how fallen in love with her and that you are fully prepared to take good care of her, take her to the vets, spay etc. Also offer to put right any 'damage' said kitty may cause to her property, including telling her you will have the carpets shampooed when your tenancy ends etc etc.
    Might be worth a shot ;)
    Em

13. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

Bless you for caring!! If it was my missing pet I would be relieved that she had found you and you were taking care of her :) I think all you can do as others say is register her as a missing cat and see if she microchipped. Perhaps some posters locally too?? I think the cat kennel is a great idea. Put some newspaper under a blanket in cold weather, its very insulating..
    I had the same scenario about 4 yrs ago- this is how I got my Blackie!! I could not get a rescue to take him locally because they were full. He spent the first winter in the shed because my cats would not accept him at first.
    At least she will have a bed and is fed and made a fuss of, its no ideal but its the absolute best you can do and if she sneaks in on a icy cold night,,well who will tell the 'trout'?? We won't !!;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice