Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what to choose..

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by ikikata, Aug 15, 2009.

1. ikikata

ikikata PetForums Junior

My Mum has decided to let me get another pet. I already have two degu's and was thinking about getting two more but wanted to see if anyone could give me some other good pets and facts about them. thanks :)

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I love rats, and I think they are the best small animal (alongside rabbits). They are friendly, curious, easy to handle (much more so than most small animals), can bond really well to you, can have more than one :D, and you can give them exciting toys in their cage, such as hammocks and cubes etc. Unfortantely, they don't live very long, only 1-2 years, and they can get lumps which need removing. Are rarely neutered and don't need vaccs. Cost me £200 to set up.

Rabbits are also a favourite of mine, but they are extremely hard work (especially if they get a chronic, ongoing illness). They need vaccs every year, costing about £45 each. They need to be neutered to prevent diseases and pregnancies, costing around £45 - £90 (depending on vet and sex of rabbit). They need large enclosures, and can cost a lot of money to set up (cost me about £500 to set up. Over the two years I've had my rabbits, they must have cost me at least £2000. :eek:

3. marion..d

marion..d PetForums VIP

rats make brilliant pets.. very clever animals, they love to play at any time, mine have always lived till they were 3-4 years of age, but excellent pets

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I'll third the option for rats :p I have 16 of them.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I love my hamsters and my mice but I think the next small pet(s) I get will have to be some more rats.

6. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I'm going to say gerbils :D

They're playful, easy to handle, cheap to keep and they're absolutely gorgeous :D Plus they can live longer than rats, they live for 3-5 years :)

7. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Yep i have to agree with Marcia Gerbils all the way they are so much fun !! :thumbup:

8. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I'd probably go with Syrian hamsters, they are just so cute and cuddly, and are very easy to care for. They are also great fun to play with!

9. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i work in a pet shop so have dealt with many different small animals and would have to say that rats are probably my favorite and im not even aloud any of them :(

second from that i really cant choose as i have syrians (which i love) russian winter white dwarfs (which i also love) but also like gerbils.

10. ikikata

ikikata PetForums Junior

hmmm.. im still not sure what to buy but i dont think i'll get rats cause my friend had some and whenever i went to see them they tried to bite me and didnt want to be picked up at all. Also i'm not going to get rabbits at the moment but think i will get a giant house rabbit when im older, are they nice?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice