Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What time of day do you feed your cats/kittens?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SmittenKitten, Aug 22, 2013.

1. SmittenKitten

SmittenKitten PetForums Member

I was just wondering if what I'm doing sounds ok?

I feed the kittens at about 7.30/8 am then again at lunch time and finally at around 8.30/9pm once my daughter is in bed. This is wet food, they have dry available all day. They always seem really hungry at their last meal which is why I introduced one at lunch time.

The breeder I got Oscar from said I should only feed twice a day. So at what time so you feed your cats?

2. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

With kittens, small and regular meals are the best way forward. As they're growing at such a fast rate they eat a lot, too. I don't think it's really possible to 'overfeed' a growing kit :)

I think I would even give another portion at around tea-time, in between the lunch time feed and the one at 8.30. I don't know if that's just me though!

I free feed Spooks. I feed him as much as he'll eat on any given day. With a 'normal' cat, I'd probably give 2 or 3 meals a day but my boy's a grazer- he eats little and often. I tend to feed him a 200g Carny tin over about 5 meals as it gets wasted otherwise! :mad2:

He gets a small handful of dry every 2 or 3 days, too, but never free fed- he has to work for it by getting it out of a treat feeder. Just coz I'm mean :D

3. CAPA7

CAPA7 PetForums Member

How old are they? When I first got my two they had 4 meals a day (6.30, 12.00 with an automatic feeder as I was at work, 17.00 and before bed).

Now that they are 15 months they have 3 meals a day (6.30. 17.30 and before bed).

4. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Our house is like a hotel for our three, And as such they get fed when they want, Starting with brekkie around 7-8 ish :D

5. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

Arthur gets 3 wet meals a day and has a small amount of dry down to nibble on between meals.

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Up to 4 or 5 months I would be giving kittens 4 meals a day without any dry to nibble - breakfast, lunch, tea and supper as you go to bed (helps them to settle through the night and not wake too early for breakfast ;)) As adults mine don't get the lunchtime meal but breakfast around 8 am, tea around 5 pm and then supper around 11 pm

7. SmittenKitten

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Oscar is 13 weeks, poppy is 18 weeks. I'm really confused as the breeder told me to feed twice a day, once in the morning, once in the evening. She said to put quarter of a standard size (400g) tin down. So I put quarter of a tube out on a separate plate for them. Poppy seems to prefer biscuits and doesn't finish all her wet food but Oscar usually helps her out there :)

I shall increase to four times a day.

8. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

Ours get fed whenever they want but they also prefer little and often. It is a pain and I would much rather they had 2 or 3 meals a day but I suspect most of it would get wasted.

I tend to only give a couple of tablespoons at a time so as you can imagine we are constantly on food duty!

9. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

Ours starts as early as 3am!!! Automated cat feeders were a godsend when she was doing it constantly, now it isnt very often but once we move house and limit her night time adventures I am sure it will increase again.

10. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

I feed Chester at 7am, 1pm, 6pm & 10pm ish :D

11. Messyfreckle

Messyfreckle PetForums Junior

Milo (2 year old) gets fed 4 times a day. 4.30am, 8am, 6pm and 10pm.

I got a bit geeky with it though and divided his daily allowance by 24 (hours in day) and multiplied it by the time between feeds so he gets an amount in relation to time.

I know, I know... Everyone thinks I'm crazy and over the top, but personally I think it makes sense, and it works for Milo, too.

12. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My two get fed at 8am 12.30pm 8pm and then they get a small smackeral of something before I go to bed so anytime between midnight and 2 am (the joy of insomnia) when it gets all hot and sweaty like it has again now :( they will often miss lunch and then they get a proper meal late at night.

13. SmittenKitten

I think feeding little and often would work better for poppy. She doesn't seem to eat much at each sitting bit nibbles biscuits throughout the day. Should I remove the biscuits or maybe put less out so when they're gone they're gone?

How about treats? I bought some dreamies today as I read a cat care book and it recommended rewarding kittens for returning so that they are more likely to come when called when they're allowed out.

Here's a picture of poppy in my handbag :) Dint know if anybody else can spit any changes in her but I think she is looking a little healthier since coming to me a week ago :)

Attached Files:

14. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Breakfast 4.30am (yes you read that right!!!!!)
    Tea 4.30pm
    Supper 10.00pm

15. SmittenKitten

So how do your cats let you know they are hungry? I usually just put the food out at roughly the same time each day but they are starting to recognise the routine as they go nuts just before tea. I start by cleaning their litter trays at this time as daughter is out of the way so not wanting to 'help' and I wonder if they recognise this as a cue? It's the only time Oscar ever meows :D

16. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Mine get fed 430am, 2pm, and 8-9pm. Kittens get an extra 2 meals

Weekends the first meal is 7-8am as I sleep in then, mine don't ask for food, they just eat when it's put down

17. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

When young I didn't restrict food and still don't as I still feel my little one is growing, between them they eat 5-6 pouches a day with a spoon full if raw mixed in each. Thankfully none of mine are greedy and their weight is fine. I don't think you can over feed kittens.

18. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Mine get at least 3 meals a day (often four/ five) brekkie 7am from hubby, second brekkie (the boy watches far to much Tolkien and they have picked up on this) at 9am, lunch around 2pm, tea around 7pm and a smackerel at bed time around 11pm.

The adults often skip either lunch or tea - the kittens eat it all.

19. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Our kittens (almost 9 months) and Yoshi (11 years old) have food at 7am, 1pm, 4/5pm, 8pm and sometimes 11pm as well - depends if they come asking for it!

Yoshi gets much smaller portions than the kittens though... :)

20. shortandfurry

shortandfurry PetForums Senior

Ours just get breakfast and tea, odd treats at random times, and whatever they catch & eat in the field behind us ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice