UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

i will be getting 7-8 weeks golden retriever puppy in december and trying to organise things before he arrives.
ordering the following things at zooplus:
-bed
-hair brush
-bowls
-some toys - any advice on what kind of toys are good for a pup?
-wet food for a start, but will be switching him to raw
-collar and lead: any advice on those?

any other recommendations?

thank you

G

·
Hi!

i will be getting 7-8 weeks golden retriever puppy in december and trying to organise things before he arrives.
ordering the following things at zooplus:
-bed
-hair brush
-bowls
-some toys - any advice on what kind of toys are good for a pup?
-wet food for a start, but will be switching him to raw
-collar and lead: any advice on those?

any other recommendations?

thank you
Hi I`m getting a puppy in December too! So exciting!
Crates are good if you are going to leave the puppy alone and don`t have a secure place.
Chew toys. Plenty! Stag bars are a treat/toy in one (You get them from [email protected]) and nylabones. Most everyday stores have dog chew toys. A tea towel soaked in water twisted then frozen and frozen carrots make great chew toys too.
A cheap soft nylon collar is fine at first I wouldn`t spend more than say a fiver. Your puppy will outgrow it fast,so when it has finished growing you can look for nice expensive collars if you wish.
Leads most start with a lighweight nylon lead that allows the puppy some room to explore but he can`t run away.
Training treats and if you wish to clicker train a clicker

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
A crate is a good idea. I used a harness for malks instead of a collar so when he pulled it wasnt pulling at his neck , Toys for chewing on, i got malks a toy that went in the freezer and when he chewed on it it soothed his gums, and lots and lots of cuddles :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just got my new pup yesterday so have recently bought everything lol!
I bought a crate,
Stag bar,
Chew toys,
Squeaky soft toys,
Bed,
Blankets,
Food bowls,
Collar, lead and ID tag.

Exciting times getting a new pup :D good toys to get would be the soft rubbery toys with a squeaker in them, just supervise and remove any wee bits it may pull off. Stag bar's are good aswell, keeps them occupied! You can get stag bars from amazon or pets at home!

Don't spend a fortune on collars and leads as they outgrow them rapidly, just a wee simple nylon collar and lead from pets at home would suffice till pups a bit older and bigger! Good luck with the pup :D

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Don't forget an ID tag

Maybe consider:

A feeding mat
Dog shampoo
Ear wipes/drops for those floppy ears
Something to clean their teeth (I add plaque off to food)
A treat tub
A waterproof coat
Plenty of poop bags
Spare bedding

Oh and get some biological washing powder, white cloths and a Bucket...Mixed with water it makes a great solution for cleaning up accidents. It takes away the smell and therefore the marker to do it again in the same place.

If I were going back and getting a puppy, I'd buy a kong classic, a kong wobbler, and a stagbar. Kong and Nylabone make good quality toys, and busy buddy toys do keep them occupied.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
My advice on the collar and lead would be light ones to get the pup used to them; a training lead would be good but definitely not a flexi to start so that pup doesn't get used to pulling to gain more lead if that makes sense.

I am getting a pup in a fortnight but have most stuff left from my current dog so not buying much (thankfully) apart from some toys. I find the 'Petstages' toys pretty good for pups. The toy (teething stick) first on the list was especially good for soothing gums when Kilo was teething: Rosewood Petstages Toys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.